Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : No Will of My Own

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
KeithLaMothe

Re: No Will of My Own

That meddlesome will...

To my woefully limited sight, my "free will" appears to me as one thing only: the ability to sin.

Therefore, insofar as I act according to my sight, I hate my will.

Thankfully, God has given me some small measure of forbearance and, more importantly, of faith. By faith in Him, I know He has some worthwhile purpose for my will. By forbearance, I can tolerate my inability to see that purpose.

A friend of mine made a reasonable point when he told me that without choice, there is no virtue. That makes sense, and I wouldn't be shocked if that were part of the purpose. "God has no delight in robots," or so it might be said.

If it were up to me, I'd rather be a robot than a sinner. Some time ago I made prayers, in fact, that my will might be utterly abolished and replaced with God's will, if it were His to do so. Judging by my present state, though I avoid willful rebellion against Him, it was not His will.

And His is more important than mine. Whatever He desires is fine with me, or at least it should be.

Nevertheless, I think He is more inclined to bring my will into accordance with His own. It is enough for the disciple to be like the master, and even Our Lord had to say, "Not my will, but Thine be done."

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences, everyone.

May He make of us what He desires.
-Keith

2004/4/1 1:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Funny (slightly) take on getting our 'will' to submit towards the end of this message:

J.Sidlow Baxter

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3243]That I May Know Him[/url]

2004/4/1 1:41Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy