Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : The ESV

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

The ESV

I have been reading out of the ESV recently and really like it. I was wondering can anybady tell me more about it background. It's not very different from the KJV, but I'd just like to know more about it.

Thanks, Jordan

2007/2/12 22:39Profile
jordanamo

Re: The ESV

I love the ESV, fine translation. I use it for my primary reading. As for which bible to get, I recommend this one:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1581347367/qid=1126106703/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14?v=glance&s=books&n=507846&tag2=jmarkbertrand-20]ESV Thinline[/url]

It's real cheap, and the quality of the synthetic leather is very very nice. Good reading bible.

Some other links to read about it:
http://www.esv.org/about/intro
http://www.esv.org/translation/philosophy

Jordan

2007/2/12 23:10Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

jordanamo,

I have that Bible and really love it.

2007/2/13 16:13Profile

Re: The ESV

Quote:
It's not very different from the KJV, but I'd just like to know more about it.

It's a lot different than you think it is, trust me.

Krispy

2007/2/13 16:15
jordanamo

Re:

Krispy,

I think he was speaking in comparative form to the other modern translations. The English Standard Version is much like the KJV in this sense. It keeps a lot of the "orthodox church words" etc. Though if you're a dogmatic KJV-er, you will be disappointed :-)

Jordan

2007/2/13 16:29Profile

Re:

The old "church words" is not the issue in the KJV debate. Fact is, The ESV is translated from the same manuscripts as the modern versions, which is completely different from the manuscripts used for the KJV... therefore, it is different from the KJV and just like the modern versions, with the exception of the modern "paraphrases" such as the Living Bible.

It may sound and read like a KJV... but it aint a KJV. Not even close. It's more like a high sounding NASB.

Krispy

2007/2/13 16:39
jordanamo

Re:

I know. It isn't a KJV in that specific translation sense. I don't think that's being contested here. But, let us not get in a debate over this, please... :-P

Jordan

2007/2/13 16:55Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

jordanamo wrote:
I know. It isn't a KJV in that specific translation sense. I don't think that's being contested here. But, let us not get in a debate over this, please... :-P

Jordan

Yeah, I read some of the other thread about Bible versions, let's not get into a debate about that again. :-(

Jordan

2007/2/13 18:46Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re:

Oh, Bro. Krispy!

Getting wound up on the KJV-only thing again?

;-)

New versions tend to scare me... perhaps I'm too much of a traditionalist. Or too careful?

Peace in Jesus,

2007/2/13 19:59Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Whoa guys, lets slow down here. Not gonna speak for Krispy, and it's not as though he needs someone to defend him, but he has not said anything to try and turn this into "another one of those threads." A comment was made about the ESV being similar to the KJV, and he simply pointed out that it's not, nor can it be. jordanamo, that "specific translation sense" is the very thing that makes it completely different. No matter what the language "sounds like", it is fundamentally different from any Bible translated from another manuscript family.

Now that being said, so that I am not responsible for creating "another one of those threads" :-P let me respond to the original post.

The ESV was created to be as literal as possible without being as literal as the NASB. But we already have a bajillion of those. What's the point? Personally I don't get it. If you want a literal translation for study, why buy the version that tried to settle for the 2nd best? If you are buying an Alexandrian translation for literal, get the NASB. If you want an Alexandrian dynamic (read: interpreted for you), buy the NIV. The ESV accepts that NASB is more literal, and intentionally created one that's not quite the NASB. It's like saying, "I want real eggs, so I'll go out and buy the newest egg substitute that claims to be closest to the real thing." I just don't get it. Just my opinion :-)

2007/2/13 20:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy