SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Obesity in the church? The SIN of gluttony.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Obesity in the church? The SIN of gluttony.

Have you or has anyone at your church ever spoken on the sin of gluttony?

Would there be a panic if someone was rebuked for gluttony at your church?

Please feel free to answer these questions and submit your own thoughts on gluttony.

2007/2/12 10:33Profile

Re: Obesity in the church? The SIN of gluttony.

You should know better than to ask such silly questions like that. :-P
People would run you over for rebuking something that is a church statute. :-x
We all love to eat especially after service, we're half way out the door when the doxology is being sung. :-D
They say that the bigger the bible you carry around the BIGGER the hypocrite, highlighting the word BIG. 8-)

2007/2/12 10:46
w4tkn79

The Sin of Gluttony - are you mistaking poems for the word of God?

The 7 deadly sins came from the poem Paradise Lost by John Milton, and as such I'd never rebuke someone for gluttony.

Now greed, that's not a fruit of the spirit. But liking food, I'm nae sure thats a sin. Is someone comfort eating cause they are lonely - that those root issues would need addressed.

If someone preached on the sin of gluttony in my church - I'd question wether or not that was the word of the Lord.

2007/2/12 10:57Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

what about the tenth commandment? we dont hear so much about that in our time...

2007/2/12 11:01Profile
w4tkn79

Re:

No, we do not. I hope when my wife and I have children, we teach them to be content with simple things.

I heard them talking on the news today about saving teh enviroment and saying how bad we were at consuming things.

Gluttony is not the same as coveting. Gluttony is eating to excess.

2007/2/12 11:10Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Have you or has anyone at your church ever spoken on the sin of gluttony?

This is one of the reasons why Sodom and Gommorah was destroyed: "abundance of food" but you will never hear a American preacher talk on that.

2007/2/12 12:07Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
If someone preached on the sin of gluttony in my church - I'd question wether or not that was the word of the Lord.

The challenge is to identify who is actually the 'glutton' and what defines gluttony. Some people eat in great abundance and gain no weight- while others who actually eat less are much heavier. Finney challlenged folk on eating for pleasure and messages on 'sweet meats' were not that uncommon in Wesley's era.

I think that Greg's point on Sodom is right on target. To build on the concept I would submit that folks who have abundance of 'idleness' and 'bread' have found a way to make a living without actually going to work. The danger here is having provision and excessive amounts of time to get into mischief. Ditch diggers have a lot less time and energy to plot and achieve their vile imaginations. This is one of the reasons God gave Adam to work by the sweat of his face. It gave him a means of redeeming the time in evil days. If Adam had not needed to work for his meat (if any man does not work, etc.) he had had much more time on his hands. This excess time can be dangerous.

2007/2/12 12:51Profile

I've taught on gluttony. NOT on obesity because that can caused by other factors. But yes, on gluttony I've come against.

Being a diabetic who is extremely conscience of my health, and being a health and fitness nut anyway... it is something that is near and dear to my heart.

Krispy

2007/2/12 14:11
moreofHim

Re:

I also agree with Greg and the scripture he references to. (Edit) just saw Krispy's post :)

I have done alot of study on idols, addictions and strongholds. Food is definitely an idol, addiction and/or a stronghold in many people's lives - including christians.

As a former personal trainer who still continues to work with people on these very issues. I also led a weight loss bible study with the focus being on 'heart idolatry'- not so much about getting thin.

Some great resources for info and help are The Lord's Table at www.settingcaptivesfree.com as well as a few books:

Love to Eat, Hate to Eat by Elyse Fitzpatrick
You are Not What You Weigh by Lisa Bevere
Idols of the Heart by Elyse Fitzpatrick
The Lord's Table study by Mike Cleveland
A Hunger for God by John Piper

It is not necessarily the food itself that is 'bad'- it's the lust for it- the desire for satisfaction that should only come from God. For many, food is their drug of choice. When they feel bad, or lonely, or upset or afraid, they turn to eating for satisfaction and comfort. It is widely accepted in the church today to eat too much, but the heart of 'why' people are doing it is the same as lust, or turning to alcohol or drugs or tv or anything else that people turn to when they need to be turning to God for satisfaction.

I have studied heart idolatry (because I saw it in a big way in my own life a few years ago and wanted to be free from them) and our church also did a whole series for 11 weeks on Idols of the Heart. I am blessed to have, on hand, alot of info on the subject. If anyone would like some more info, you can pm me. I also have a page on my website about health and fitness and i do get into the subject of eating in moderation, etc...

Like Robert refered to, you don't have to be overweight for overeating to be a sin. My husband and my pastor are both thin, yet they both can admit when they have been gluttonous and have sinned by eating way too much (not having self control) or by turning to food to just numb themselves before bed.

For those who overeat, ask yourself:

What am I preoccupied with?

What is the first thing on my mind in the morning and last thing at night?

Where do I turn when I need satisfaction or comfort?

Am I lacking in self-control in the area of eating?

Am I hurting or damaging my body (the temple of the Lord) by what or how much I am eating?

-------------

Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had [b]pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness[/b]...
Ezekiel 16:49

for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.
Romans 14:17

For the [u]drunkard and the glutton[/u] will come to poverty, and drowsiness will clothe a man with rags.
Proverbs 23:21

But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest when I preach to others,
I myself should become disqualified.
1 Corinthians 9:27

...do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body.
Is not life more important than food and the body more than clothing?
Matthew 6:25

--------

edit: I agree with Krispy. I am not saying that being overweight is a sin. There are certain medical reasons for some people, etc.. It's a matter of the heart. Like I said before, you can be thin and be gluttonous. It's about 'appetites' and letting the flesh rule those appetites. We want the Lord to rule our appetites. :-)

2007/2/12 14:18Profile
Lotis

A lust for food is wrong, obesity itself is not wrong.

2007/2/12 16:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy