SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : is this church in todays society

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi all, i guess it always best to considered Churches individually,not under the umbrella of a "movement"..

Of course theres dead conservative churches still preaching a solid message,but the church is lifeless..Also I'm sure theres Churches considered emergent very solid and very much alive..The one main character for an alive people/church as to be Holiness

I guess someone like David Wilkerson would be considered conservative, but Time Square Church is ALIVE,as His Paul Washer..You can hear it in their voice their passion..maybe you can hear it at this church to?..

For the first time ever i heard a re-telling of Sinners in the hands of a angry God yesterday,,It freaked me out!! I just wonder how it would go down at SP
andy

2007/2/13 15:10Profile

Re: is this church in todays society

I know this comment may seem to be a little out of order, to some people, but the girl in only a T shirt has been on my mind.....

You know, if you go to many places round the world, a T shirt would be a luxury...?

Also, do you know that bra-wearing has been associated in one study (old study), with an increase in breast cancer?

I am not advocating [i]immodest[/i] dress, but, I think it is more key that a person is covered, than than we judge them by their apparent lack of underwear... It could be suggested that the underwear leads to greater immodesty in some cases.... :-o

2007/2/13 16:02
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I think it is more key that a person is covered, than than we judge them by their apparent lack of underwear...

You are correct. A fig leaf is better than nothing, but I would rather there be several fig leaves.

As for judging…judgement has nothing to do with it…they should have a decent amount of clothes on.

We are probably looking at it from different angles. I’m talking about the types that “know” how they are dressed. Their look is not derived from ignorance or innocence.

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/13 16:23Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
For the first time ever i heard a re-telling of Sinners in the hands of a angry God yesterday,,It freaked me out!! I just wonder how it would go down at SP

It would be contray to their instrinsic character... impossible for an emergent church to have anythng to do with Jonthan Edwards and still remain emergent. It would be like holding kryptonite.

Alive or deadness is not even a relevant measurement regarding the emergent church...they reject the infallibility of scripture so all other bets our off.

In case your wondering, this is not my slander...this is their confession. Read McClaren and Wallace. Some do good works and so we hope they are "alive"...and maybe some are but the movement is on the wrong vector in my opinion.

It's too bad really...they could've used their momentum to do some real reform, but instead have gone off the rails before they even got started. Currently being emergent is defined by being theoligcally liberal...the moment you become theologically conservative (refraining from higher critical perspectives of scripture) you cease to be emergent.

I'm looking for one emergent pastor who believes anything close to what jonathan Edwards preached...a single exception to this Gospel deconstructionist trend in the emergent community...although such an exception wouldn't really be a part of the community for very long.

Can someone point me to one?

MC

2007/2/13 16:24Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

I was about to post again until I saw Compton's post. Very well said!

2007/2/13 16:33Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
It would be like holding kryptonite.

You must be talking about the inerrant Word of God in the hands of a sinner.

TJ

2007/2/13 16:37Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Quote:
I'm looking for one emergent pastor who believes anything close to what jonathan Edwards preached...a single exception to this Gospel deconstructionist trend in the emergent community...although such an exception wouldn't really be a part of the community for very long.

Mark Driscoll? i know hes moved away a little..But i still think he as some emergent ideas on culture etc..though he may confirm what you said about not being part of the community for long..
aj

2007/2/13 16:45Profile
Compton

Re:

Mark Driscoll, like many sincere Christian/evangelicals had originally shared emergent Christianity's critique of 'traditional evangelicism" but it seems he realized that the cure is worse then the desease....

"In the mid-1990s I was part of what is now known as the Emerging Church and spent some time traveling the country to speak on the emerging church in the emerging culture on a team put together by Leadership Network called the Young Leader Network. But, I eventually had to distance myself from the Emergent stream of the network because friends like Brian McLaren and Doug Pagitt began pushing a theological agenda that greatly troubled me. Examples include referring to God as a chick, questioning God's sovereignty over and knowledge of the future, denial of the substitutionary atonement at the cross, a low view of Scripture, and denial of hell which is one hell of a mistake."

Quote:
You must be talking about the inerrant Word of God in the hands of a sinner.

Well I suppose the analogy could fit! The Word does break us of our strength! I was talking about how a sermon like Jonathan Edwards exposes the deeper spiritual impotence of emergent 'gospel'. This impotence refuses to acknowledge the judgement of God, and the need for a new creation, and the exclusive atonement found in the cross of Christ...spelling irrelevance to the heart of man inspite of their fluffy rhapsody on relevance.

MC

2007/2/13 20:18Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi i thought this audio debate might be very helpful..Its between Bob Dewaay and Doug Pagitt last year..

http://web.mac.com/pagitt/iWeb/Doug%20Pagitt.Com/PagittCast/PagittCast.html

Its in 3 parts called Emerging Church and Postmodern Spirituality Debate..

aj

2007/2/14 18:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy