Discussion Forum : General Topics : is this church in todays society

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
strawrifle

uk

is this church in todays society

http://www.current.tv/watch/21674856

Church in the 21 cent? this is Solomons Porch Doug Pagitt church..I like the ideas on community and the social Gospel..But a lot of it left me cold...

andy

2007/2/11 3:42Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: is this church in todays society

Just another group trying to re-invent the gospel. This most likely is what the "church" will look like as it pursues a social gospel. Grace, and love are embraced, and God's judgment is discarded. :-o

Blessings Greg

2007/2/11 12:52Profile

andy,
anywhere human beings gather, whether it be a secular institution or an ecclesiastical institution can leave one cold. Because we are broken and flawed, that is truth. You know this.

I have great respect and love for Doug Padgitt and the body of believers, and seekers at Solomon's Porch.

I watched that video, intently, and there was one brother, who was saying "in the end, it's just about people"....yeh, that left me dismayed of course, because in the end and the begininng its about Jesus. But we have no idea, where this fellow is AT in the Lord, he wasnt a pastor, just another lost and lonely soul testifying to what HE believes is the case. I understand what he was TRYING to say, but pray God, there is ONE person there that would later tell him, its NOT just about people, its about Jesus living IN people, that enables them to glorify God, whether it be feeding the poor, or forthtelling about injustice (which is a part of what some call the "social Gospel") and its about letting the Holy Spirit seize you up and run your tongue and tell people who do NOT know Jesus, that it is Him and Him alone, who will bring you the peace joy and love of His Ministry of reconciliation. (and that which what some call the salvation Gospel)

in my heart there is not two Gospels, social or salvation, there is only THE GOSPEL. to wit: when you walk with Jesus, when you follow Jesus, it is the indwelling Holy Ghost that has you testifying to the wonderous miracle working Power of Him in you that moves your tongue, it is the indwelling Holy Spirit that moves you to action when you see a man sleeping in a doorway in zero degree weather and make him a bowl of soup, a hot sandwich and a cup of hot cocoa.

The young woman listing the things that she believes Jesus would be doing today was half way off, she listed a whole litany of contemporary social issues. I understand what she was TRYING to say, but who is there to tell her that Jesus is doing everything today, He lives IN you girl, and when you speak of feminism, I can promise you that Jesus weeps over EVERY baby that is aborted, how would she react when I said THAT to her, while on the same token I agree with what she was TRYING to say about "globalization", which is just after all man making money his god, and that ties into the whole Revelations 18 thing about the "whore of babylon" and drinking of "her excesses". But you wouldnt see Jesus in Seattle breaking windows at the WTO riot, our Lord would be up before dawn, in a desolate place, praying and communing with His Father.

anyway...Solomons Porch is a indicator that the so-called "traditional church" in America is not relevant to a great portion of the seekers and believers in this country, this empire.

in Jesus' love, neil

2007/2/11 14:10

Smokey

Quote:
Just another group trying to re-invent the gospel. This most likely is what the "church" will look like as it pursues a social gospel. Grace, and love are embraced, and God's judgment is discarded.

thats a rather flippant dismissal of a group of people trying to grasp the Richness of Christ.

I'll say what I said to our brother below, there are no two Gospels, "social" and "salvation", there is only One Gospel, and both those elements go hand in hand.

But please, try and look beneath the surface before you dismiss such as these so flippantly, I say this in Jesus' love, not looking for a argument.

neil

2007/2/11 14:14
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi Bartle interesting post..trust me i'm way less godly then anyone on the clip i'm sure..Just replying to how i felt watching it!!

I guess part of me found it all a little bit fake sorry! Not so much the spiritual side of it,just the all trying to be relevant side..

Similar to when i'm trying to be down with my nephew and nieces,and they see right through me..

All the cussing,so we can show how cool we are,makes me suspicious.

Surely at sometime beyond the cussing,beyond the "were the same as you" attitude,beyond the Jesus loves the environment : you still have to say Jesus says ur a sinner and there is a hell.

Of course its a short clip..But i do wonder how this church deals with certain sins like abortion and homosexuality..I'm a person who was involved in a bi-lifestyle,so please don't think i'm picking on that..There just two issue that more "modern" Christian have a problem confronting in my experiences..

Ive read emergents accuse traditional Christians of throwing the baby out with the bath water..I wonder if the reverse is true & they refuse to accept anything from the traditional church,just because its traditional?
andy

2007/2/11 17:35Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Bartle you said ""Solomons Porch is a indicator that the so-called "traditional church" in America is not relevant to a great portion of the seekers and believers in this country, this empire.""

I think that is the issue!! Are SP more relevant because their compromising though??
aj

2007/2/11 17:56Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

I found the video quite troubling. I’m not sure exactly what it was, but it did not have a very calming effect. I felt kind of on edge. I did not get a feeling of holiness. In fact, while I could never be sure without actually asking them, I feel that many of them would say I was pushing my old school, conservative, traditionalist ways upon them if I were to even mention it.

It didn’t seem like anything new to me, just the same old teenage (young people) rebellion that occurs in every generation nowadays, only perhaps more disguised.

A wiser man than myself said, “There is nothing new under the sun”

I did see Non-Christian ways to dress, and Non-Christian ways to speak.

just my 2 cents

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/11 18:35Profile
Compton

Re:

For a few years I've heard many emergent thinkers expressing a desire to leave the modern mega-seeker sensitive politicized church and return to a spiritual kingdom Christianity that existed before the "Constantination" of the Church. After about 10 years of post-modern Christianty I've been reminded how men may use different vocabulary to describe their hearts...but their hearts remain the same. My observations...

1) Emergent Christianty is first and foremost seeker sensitive and is still producing mega-churches.

2) It's world-friendly methods reveal crucial differences from the moral and doctrinal writings of the earliest apostolic fathers such as Polycarp, Tertullian, or Cyprian.

3...while the Emergent movement has successfuly resisted conservative politics, it has not avoided political alliance in general as the earliest ante-Nicene church fathers had. In the exact same fashion that the modern conservative political church has mingled with empire, (as Bartle put it) the Emergent church has also become an openly political movement, often disturbingly at the expense of it's proclamation of a spiritual kingdom.

So it remains true...our sincere longings for authenticity, our critiques of those before us, and our idealogical movements are only chaff. Unless a man is born again...

(edit: These same measurements apply to the Evangelical churches. Even with all it's noteworthy social works, if the Evangelical movements of the 18th and 19th century (which were the 'emerging' church of their days) had not made the conversion of men's hearts the primary mission, these too would have been forgotten by history in short time. In short our forefathers believed in the Holy Spirit before they believed in entertainment, big brand names, compassion, politics, and homeless shelters.

It is fair to admit that Evangelical Christianity is shipwrecked on the rocks of worldiness right now...but by ignoring the earlier great men of the Evangelical church the Emergent church has missed a real opportunity to reform Gospel preaching in this country. Instead they have chosen to repackage their churches in articulate post-modern lingo, and while that makes for interesting books, it's not much of a solution for men's lost condition.)

MC

2007/2/11 19:03Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi,yeah there is a certain unsettling feeling to the clip,but maybe thats a good thing?kind of confronting where were standing?

20 years ago this was me (still is to a point)!!I left church though,seems some stayed..So maybe i'm just bitter "where were they when i needed them" lol

I really don't have a problem with the way they dress..Piercings or grungy/skateboard look is not unlike how i dress (besides the piercings lol)..I just wonder if its authentic,or just how they think they should look to reach their community..

I get the feeling they may repeat the mantra ad nauseam : can't look traditional can't look traditional
aj

2007/2/11 19:14Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
I really don't have a problem with the way they dress..Piercings or grungy/skateboard look

I agree, but one of the girls was wearing something I consider to be to revealing.

and the cuss words....

God Bless
TJ

2007/2/11 19:34Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy