SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I Need Advice For Prayer-Meeting

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
BENOTLEH

Newnan Georgia

I Need Advice For Prayer-Meeting

Two friends and i just recently started a prayer-meeting but i have no experience in praying with others, both of my friends are very sincere, but they are not to eager to pray outloud, i seem to be the only one willing to pray aloud, this is not a serious problem and its not really hindering us but i was looking to get others advice and personal experiences in prayer meetings, Thank you

2007/2/10 21:27Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: I Need Advice For Prayer-Meeting

I have been a part of several prayer meetings for a long time. I have always found that new people take a while to lose their fear of praying out loud.

You could ask them to pray specifically for things that your are asked or feel to pray about.

At our meetings we put on some worship music and worship the Lord for a while first, this also seem to put us in more of yielded position to pray.

For a while we were getting long lists of things to pray for, we found that we could pray for most of them as a whole and spend more time just waiting on the Lord to see what He would have us pray for.

Also one of the difficulties with prayer meetings can be that some people with needs can talk on and on and on, at times you have to take control and say prayers for their problems, keeping it short and then go on as God leads. We had some people dominate the entire prayer time with talking and we didn't get time to pray. We had to take control of that situation and tell people we would gladly talk to them about personal things after the meeting or at another time. If you don't do that people will get discouraged and feel they aren't accomplishing anything and will quit.

I hope this helps a little. God give you grace in our endevour.

2007/2/10 23:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
some people with needs can talk on and on and on, at times you have to take control and say prayers for their problems, keeping it short and then go on as God leads.

This is a very big problem in most prayer meetings. People start to talk about God and start thinking on men's level and speaking as if God was not there. We need to realize God is there with us hearing the prayers and we need to pray with the realization. We need to speak those things that are needful.

A good way to run a prayer meeting is:

First, a time of thanksgiving strictly, thanking God for Himself, who He is, and what He had done.

Secondly, a time for petitions and intercessions only when the Spirit of God puts a prayer on a person's heart. These prayers should be short and to the point, perhaps 5 minutes at the most.

Thirdly, there needs to be a prayer leader that transists those things with his prayers and leads the group in that way. times of silence should be relished and not quenched with just useless thoughts to still the silence. There needs to be times of "waiting" on God with the presence of God in the midst.

Keep seeking Him.

2007/2/11 0:57Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re: I Need Advice For Prayer-Meeting

One thing I seen that helps. Is haveing list of names, places, things to pray through, it really help. I have seen peopele don't pray, pray. I have printed out verse, to pray through. Ask them to open, even it is a small pray, then the more they do they will, do it longer. If you go in row, then They know there turn is coming up.

Give a list of names or things,
such as, this list of verse and things to pray, have names and ministry updates, or family names
then you can praint somthing like this and they can pray through it, they are just helpers to pray.

That I be sanctified by the truth (John 15:15)
I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you
That I would love Jesus more (Deuteronomy 6:5)
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
A deeper love for family, friends and neighbors (John 13:34)
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
That I would delight myself in the Lord (Psalm 37:4)
Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Priorities and desires that honor God
Boldness and courage to declare the gospel (Colossians 4:3-4)
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Eyes to see the glory of Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 3:18)
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect[a] the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.
Set my mind on the things of the Spirit (Romans 8:5)
Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
Set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ (1 Peter 1:13)
13Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;
Filled with the Holy Spirit (Acts 4:31)
31After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.
Purity of heart and mind (Matthew 5:8)
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
That I would redeem my time (Ephesians 5:16)
making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
That I would lay aside every weight and sin (Hebrews 12:1)
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Grace to overcome sins
That I would deny myself and take up my cross daily (Matthew 16:24)
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Unite my heart to fear the Lord’s name (Psalm 86:11)
Teach me your way, O LORD,
and I will walk in your truth;
give me an undivided heart,
that I may fear your name.
A heart of flesh not stone (Ezekiel 11:19)
I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.

Give repentance for sins (Luke 5:32)
I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."
Give a hatred of sin (Romans 12:9)
Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
Wisdom (James 1:5)
If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

That I would be outfitted with the whole armor of God:
o Helmet of salvation
o Breast plate of righteousness
o Belt of truth
o Shield of faith
o Sword of the Spirit
o Shoes of the Gospel of peace
Fruit of the Spirit
o Love
o Joy
o Peace
o Patience
o Kindness
o Gentleness
o Faithfulness
o Goodness
o Self-control
Give Thanks for:
o Jesus Christ,
o the cross,
o salvation,
o daily grace,
o saving faith,
o working all things for good,
o the Bible,
o sanctification

grant to thy servants to speak thy word with all boldness (Acts 4:29)
He told them, "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.” (Luke 10:2)
And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.” (Philippians 1:9-11)
“And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding, so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy, giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.” (Colossians 1:9-12)
I do not cease to give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his great might…” (Ephesians 1:16-19)
“For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith--that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.” (Ephesians 3:14-19)

“To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling and may fulfill every resolve for good and every work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.” (2 Thessalonians 1:11-12)
"…you may have strength to escape all these things that are going to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man." (Luke 21:34-36)

2007/2/11 1:06Profile

Re: Advice for a prayer meeting

Hello brother,
Praise God that He has given you and your two friends a burden to pray together! Truly God is the only One who can teach us how to pray and He will if we cry out to Him asking for that.
It's easy to get caught up in methods and teaching on prayer. I've often found myself falling into the trap of learning and speaking more about prayer than actually praying!
It is the Spirit of God who teaches us how to pray. I have learned much in the area of prayer by listening to the anointed teaching of [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=310]Gerhard Du Toit[/url] whose sermons are here on SI. [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=5284]Why Should I Pray?[/url] is a really good message that has often blessed my heart.
Also a while back [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13263&forum=40#102395]This article[/url] was shared on a prayer meeting during the Second Great Awakening. I thought it had a lot of really good advice on conducting a prayer meeting.
Often during our ladies prayer meeting we will pray through a passage in the Psalms; read a verse and pray through the verse.
We learn how to pray by praying!
Here are some quotes by A.W. Tozer that someone shared on [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9484&forum=45]another thread[/url] today:

Quote:
To pray successfully is the first lesson the preacher must learn if he is to preach fruitfully; yet prayer is the hardest thing he will ever be called upon to do

He must set his heart to conquer by prayer, and that will mean that he must first conquer his own flesh, for it is the flesh that hinders prayer always.

There the lonely man of God must wrestle it out alone, sometimes in fastings and tears and weariness untold. There every man must be an original, for true prayer cannot be imitated nor can it be learned from someone else.

The best any school or any book (or any article) can do is to recommend prayer and exhort to its practice. Praying itself must be the work of the individual.

May the Spirit of God guide you as you pray together and seek God for souls together on your knees.

2007/2/11 21:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy