SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : lake of fire.....

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
staff

lake of fire.....

Hi Just wondering about these few verses.

1.Altough the sea,death and hell delivered up the dead in them death and hell only are thrown into the lake of fire.Are they being punished because they are evil spirits?.Or are they place? or both?

2.Are they joined together in some way?It seems to me that a single dead soul was in both death and hell at the same time rather than some dead were in death and some were in hell.

Rev 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

any ideas?Thanks

2007/2/9 18:29Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: lake of fire.....

hey Staff
welcome to S.I. and i pray God uses this medium to minister to you according to His purposes.

Quote:
.Altough the sea,death and hell delivered up the dead in them death and hell only are thrown into the lake of fire.Are they being punished because they are evil spirits?.Or are they place? or both?

well death and hell are not persons like we are. they do however serve a purpose in creation and at the point at which the are cast into the lake of fire, they have no further use. death is out of a job because nobody will die from judgment day on and hell (which follows the pale horse of the apocalypse) is jobless also as a repository for the souls of the damned. the two are not joined but if death comes knocking and you're unsaved, you'll go to hell. it seems to me that's the extent of that relationship...

hope that helps

God bless and once again welcome to S.I.

2007/2/9 19:04Profile
staff

Re: lake of fire.....

sorry posted in the wrong place!

Thanks for you're warm welcome and answer.
Just a couple of follow up questions

Do death and hell get punished and if so for what?
Is death a place like hell is?as it gives up it's dead?
thanks again
cant get my head around it

2007/2/10 17:36Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

I asked a similar question about a week ago. Is it a literal lake of fire?

Quote:
What I do not understand however is Revelation 20:14,
“Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.”
The question the book raised concerning the Bible is how can it be a literal lake of fire when Death and Hades are thrown into it? Should this not be symbolic of something else...say judgment.

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14511&forum=36&12]Original[/url]

2007/2/10 19:31Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re: Word Definitions May Be Helpful

Greetings,

Where is Philologos when we need him? ;-)

Some definitions from Strong's on these words:

Death (Thanatos)
Greek #2288
θάνατος
thanatos
than'-at-os
From G2348; (properly an adjective used as a noun) death (literally or figuratively)

Hell (Hades)
Greek #86
ᾅδης
hadēs
hah'-dace
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.

The lake of fire listed here is a compound of two words:

Lake
Greek #3041
λίμνη
limnē
lim'-nay
Probably from G3040 (through the idea of the nearness of shore); a pond (large or small): - lake.

Fire
Greek #4442
πῦρ
pur
poor
A primary word; “fire” (literally or figuratively, specifically lightning): - fiery, fire.

This Lake of Fire is referred to elsewhere as Hell Fire (KJV), or Gehenna. This is generally coupled with the final judgement:

Hell Fire
Greek #1067
γέεννα
geenna
gheh'-en-nah
Of Hebrew origin ([H1516] and [H2011]); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

Seems to me that it is saying that both classical symbols for death (thanatos & hades) are to be judged eternally, for they are something that would not have needed to exist had man not sinned in the Garden. "The soul that sinneth, it shall die."

It seems to be a literal purging of the Curse of death on mankind, by taking the 'vehicle' (thanatos or death) and the 'destination' (hades or hell) and putting them both in a place of eternal judgment where they will plague mankind no more. By seeing death & hell in this way (vehicle/destination), it makes a little more sense as to how and possibly why they are mentioned separately. Also, if you look into the definition of Gehenna, it is taken from Ghe Hinnom, or the Valley of Hinnom, a burning garbage dump outside Jerusalem (if memory serves me). So, in effect, God is disposing of them in the incinerator (not trying to be funny!). Could I be taking it a little to literally? Perhaps. We'll know on that great Day, I'm sure! :-)

I am no theology major or anything... most of these concepts are from studying various sources and personal study myself. The Ante-Nicene Early Church writers wrote some on the subject. That's interesting reading!

The whole doctrine of death/hell/Hades/Gehenna is a fascinating topic... might be an interesting post? Anyone?

2007/2/10 21:03Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy