SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Truth and error: spiritual or doctrinal?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Truth and error: spiritual or doctrinal?

This is a bit of a Chicken-Egg question. How do doctrinal errors begin? (Serious errors, that is, not mere differences of opinion on detail, or already controversial subjects such as predestination, or what music we should listen or not listen to.)

Do real false teachings originate as twists in the personality or spirit of the one who starts them? Or does the false teaching itself [u][i]produce[/i][/u] the wrong spirit?

I hope this isn't a merely academic question, but there's so much error and deception in the Church these days, and a need to guard one's own spirit.

Jeannette

2007/2/9 17:17
Dan777

Re: Truth and error: spiritual or doctrinal?

What one interprets as error another interprets as truth.

So who is really right? Christianity has been watered down and filtered so much that when someone comes along with the real biblical truth or at least a portion of it, he is touted as fostering error and shunned.

Dan
:-(

2007/2/10 7:52Profile
pastorfrin

LittleGift,
Read 2 Timothy 2:1-4:8 very slowly and prayerfully. Ask the Lord to answer your question
from His Word, this is what He sent the Holy Spirit to do, give us comfort by teaching us the
truth from Gods Word. Jesus said in John 8: 31-32
" If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

Jeannette, do you think false doctrine comes from
mans will trumping Gods will?

In His Love,

pastorfrin

2007/2/10 10:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Sister Jeannette,

We all begin as babes in Christ. As a spiritual babe we still hold onto false notions of who God is and what His Kingdom is, and what this world is.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians...

1 Corinthians 4:14-15

"I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children, I warn you.

For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel."

The Corinthian church received all the Spiritual blessings that are found in Christ. There were many who taught, yet few had grown beyond spiritual babes. With this condition in place, many false preconceived notions still exist in the believer's carnal mind. This is where the false doctrines finds its sustenance. The effect of these doctrine for the most part allow the "self" to remain intact.

Then there are those who are of Satan who spread the seed that grows into weed. They willing know that they teach a lie, because God has witnessed to them as such. They enter the sheep pen by another means, with their only goal as hirelings, to glorify themselves.

What means do we have to overcome? Our Lord has promised that the Holy Scriptures is the means by which we come to know the truth more fully as we feed on the Bread of Life. No one needs to teach you, for the Holy Spirit is given to light the path He has for you. Those who hear His voice will not go astray....

God Bless
Jeff

2007/2/10 10:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

Dan777 wrote:
What one interprets as error another interprets as truth.

So who is really right? Christianity has been watered down and filtered so much that when someone comes along with the real biblical truth or at least a portion of it, he is touted as fostering error and shunned.

Dan
:-(

[b]So maybe part of the answer is really knowing the Bible and really knowing Jesus - the real Lord Jesus[/b]

2007/2/10 13:47

Re:

Quote:

pastorfrin wrote:
LittleGift,
Read 2 Timothy 2:1-4:8 very slowly and prayerfully.

[b]You mean verses 1-4 and verse 8? Will do. Have some conclusions from a first reading, but need the reality, not merely academic understanding[/b]
Quote:
Ask the Lord to answer your question from His Word, this is what He sent the Holy Spirit to do, give us comfort by teaching us the truth from Gods Word. Jesus said in John 8: 31-32 " If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
Jeannette, do you think false doctrine comes from
mans will trumping Gods will?

[b]Yes, very much so - doing our own thing, having our own way. Sometimes this can take very subtle forms, though not always resulting in actual doctrinal error. The message of the Cross is often a painful one to receive, and I'm sure error can result from not wanting to listen to it or go His way, or drink of His cup...

In fact I believe that is the main reason the Lord had me ask this question. Not because I'm in immediate danger of falling into error, but because the root of "I Did It MY Way" still needs some breaking.

Doctrinally of course it was all done at the Cross, but the application of it is another matter...

For the first time today I asked Him specifically to do this, humanly impossible, thing.

Thank you for this answer, Brother.

In Him

Jeannette[/b]

2007/2/10 14:07

Re:

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Sister Jeannette,

We all begin as babes in Christ. As a spiritual babe we still hold onto false notions of who God is and what His Kingdom is, and what this world is.

[b]True! I've met one or two folk who belonged to a cult yet did seem to have had a genuine experience of God.

When I first knew the Lord I had doubts about the virgin birth of christ and the person-hood of the Holy Spirit. If someone persuasive enough from a cult had come along, I might easily have been led astray.

This had obviously happened to a girl I met who was in the Moonies. She described an obviously genuine experience of new birth, but the local church she tried was apparently completely dead, and the cult seemed so attractive as a result.[/b]

Quote:
Paul wrote to the Corinthians...

1 Corinthians 4:14-15

"I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children, I warn you.

For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel."

The Corinthian church received all the Spiritual blessings that are found in Christ. There were many who taught, yet few had grown beyond spiritual babes. With this condition in place, many false preconceived notions still exist in the believer's carnal mind. This is where the false doctrines finds its sustenance. The effect of these doctrine for the most part allow the "self" to remain intact.

Then there are those who are of Satan who spread the seed that grows into weed. They willing know that they teach a lie, because God has witnessed to them as such. They enter the sheep pen by another means, with their only goal as hirelings, to glorify themselves.

[b]Such teachers probably suppress the warnings of the Holy Spirit in their hearts, and come to believe their own lies. I got involved with someone like that for a (mercifully short)time, after being a Christian for some years, and should have known better. He was trying to start his own cult but imagined that he really did have a special revelation from the Lord, that only the special few were, as yet aware of. This seduction was very powerful to me because of the desperate longing to feel accepted and be one of the "in crowd" (another manifestation of "self" of course!)[/b]

Quote:
What means do we have to overcome? Our Lord has promised that the Holy Scriptures is the means by which we come to know the truth more fully as we feed on the Bread of Life. No one needs to teach you, for the Holy Spirit is given to light the path He has for you. Those who hear His voice will not go astray

[b]...Maybe that is another way we can be vulnerable to deception. For many years I so lacked confidence that I was unable to trust my own "anointing" (His sure voice in our heart - 1John 2:27, that you referred to). I constantly looked to others - especially respected Christian leaders - for reassurance.

Thankfully, most of them were basically "sound", and the different, usually slight, errors in their teaching tended to cancel each other out.

Although it really used to upset me when those leaders I loved and trusted disagreed with each other!!!

That is probably another help in keeping from error - listen to a range of teachers - and then "eat the meat and leave the bones" as a friend used to say

Thank you too, Jeff, for some wise counsel

In Him

Jeannette[/b]

2007/2/10 14:35
pastorfrin

LittleGift,

That would be 2 Timothy chapters 2,3, and chapter 4 Verses 1-8. Hope this helps you with your questions. He does truly have all the answers.

In His Love

pastorfrin

2007/2/10 16:43Profile

Re:

Quote:

pastorfrin wrote:
LittleGift,

That would be 2 Timothy chapters 2,3, and chapter 4 Verses 1-8. Hope this helps you with your questions. He does truly have all the answers.

In His Love

pastorfrin

[b]Of Course! Thanks[/b]

2007/2/10 18:02

Re:

Quote:

pastorfrin wrote:
2 Timothy chapters 2,3, and chapter 4 Verses 1-8.

[b]Its almost the whole of 1 and 2 Timothy really!

Yes... The answer's there isn't it. Not spiritual deception in the first place, but rejection of God's ways, and God's Word; and choosing our own ideas and our own ways (the root of Original Sin).

Of course, demonic deception will eventually set up a stronghold, if a person doesn't repent (as with King Saul?), but its our rebellion that gives Satan the opportunity to deceive us.

Even if a person starts off as a "sound" teacher, self-ambition will eventually lead to self-deception and if the person is a leader, to deceiving others. Or in the case of non-leaders, to "asking" to be deceived.

So its not such a chicken-egg question after all - it basically started with us!

I suppose the beginning of deception is in Genesis 3; doubting God's Word, lusting after forbidden things, wanting one's own will and way, pride and selfish ambition (spiritual ambition - to be like God!) rebellion... Yes, Satan took his opportunity, but man was more than ready to listen...

[i][color=003366](James 1: 14 but each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin; and sin when it is full-grown brings forth death.)[/color][/i]

Hmmm I've really been challenged personally here.

Thanks everyone!

Jeannette[/b]

2007/2/11 13:47

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy