Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
1. Do you have any strong feelings about the family Textforms?

Well, I haven't put lots of time learning about the different ones but I would lean towards the Byzantine textform.

Quote:
2. Do you want an Interlinear with the English translation or do you want to go 'cold turkey'. Note: Many Greek tutors would encourage you to have a text which was just in Greek without English helps.

I think I might try the 'cold turkey' method. Right now I'm all "gung-ho," but I wouldn't mind being about to read the Greek and know what it means. We will see how it goes! Wait to see what happens in a year or two from now....

I took linguistics classes when I was in college and that is helping me catch on a littler easier.
Quote:
4.You can practise a little Greek pronunciation with this William Mounce's [url=http://www.teknia.com/index.php?page=exer04]Chapter 4[/url]. It will put a Greek text on screen and read it while you imitate.

I haven't bought Mounce's textbook yet, but I have been looking over his site and I found another site where I can listen to the short lectures that are the same as the ones on the CD. I do plan on getting it eventually though.

I also found a greek textbook when I was in college at a college ministry. They were going to just throw it away. I dug it out and have been looking through it.

Quote:
WOW! you really are going for broke!!

Well, to be honest I am a little excited about it. I hope it doesn't ware off too quick!

Quote:
Don't put a big emphasis on the pronunciation of Greek. Nobody has spoken Koine Greek in many many years. And it is seldom you will ever come across anybody else that actually knows how to read Greek either :) All you have to do is to learn enough for memorization purposes :)

Yes, that's true. I think I may enjoy the challenge though. Again, we shall see how it all pans out. ;-)

2007/2/11 20:59Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Thank you to everyone on this thread! I am very thankful for your input! :-D

2007/2/11 21:04Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

The only greek NTs I've ran across is Nestle-Aland's. I'm guessing this is the common (or only) choice?

2007/2/13 14:52Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re:

Thank you for all your input! :)
I'm trying to learn some Greek, too. Do you know any bible greek forum where I could take my questions?

Edit:
I've found this site: http://www.inthebeginning.org/ntgreek/index.htm

2007/3/5 3:24Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

http://www.biblicalgreek.org/forum/

Seems a little more active.

2007/3/5 11:23Profile
BrokenOne

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Re:

I recently got Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek textbook and workbook. I'm not a Bible school student, just wanted to learn Greek for my own personal Bible study and I am loving it!!!

I want to get a Greek New Testament, but as someone else in this thread previously stated, none of the local Christian book stores carry them, so I will need to order one online. I don't know anything about how to choose one and would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!!

2007/6/12 20:09Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The most common Greek text used for translation purposes is the UBS4 (United Bible Society, 4th Edition). It comes with a basic "critical" apparatus, for sorting through the major translation issues in the various Greek manuscripts. The more scholarly one is the NA27 (Nestle-Alland 27th Edition). Such will have a major text apparatus for more critical studies.

Neither are very user friendly. They were written by scholars for scholars :) Even though the NA27 is more complicated, I think it has a more "readable" font. The UBS4, while less cluttered, has a font that is a little more difficult on the eye.

I recommend doing what most Greek students do, own both texts :) We used UBS4 for Greek class in seminary, but utilized both for our interpretation/exegesis classes.

2007/6/12 21:31Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy