SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian School or Public School?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Brian... I, too, am a product of the public schools. I believed in evolution. I believed abortion was ok. I believed in having as much sex as I could. I believed in pot, rock and football. That was my religion. I got in fights almost on a weekly basis. (I know... it's hard for everyone here to believe! lol!!)

Yea, I could read and write when I graduated. But I had absolutely no moral compass other than doing whatever I thought would feel good at the moment. Thats what the public schools did for me.

And thats why my kids will never go there. If I have to work 5 jobs in order for my wife to stay home and teach our children, thats what I'll do.

By the way, I dont question Ian's intent for asking his question. Not at all. Who doesnt want the best for their children? We all do. I'm glad he asked because if he hadnt we wouldnt be having this discussion.

Krispy

2007/2/8 12:41

Re:

Krispy, I am agreeing with you...so there is no need to 'defend' anything, with me anyway...

I learned everything you did and it is almost unfortunate that I could not get grades in fighting, drugs, football, or sex, because I would have done quite well.

Since this post I have 'changed my tune'.

God Bless 'Christian Music'
Brian

2007/2/8 14:29

Re:

Oh... sorry. I wasnt trying to convince you of anything. I know we're in agreement. I was merely telling my own story, and how a public education was not the best influence on my own life.

Just cuz I come off passionately doesnt mean I'm on the attack! LOL 8-)

Krispy

2007/2/8 14:49
lovejt

Re: Christian School or Public School?

I am single and its one of my hopes that if the Lord provides me with a family that my children will be homeschooled. I have voiced this over to some and most people think i'm unrealistic. Especially living in CA. How can you afford to live while both parents today are working, etc, etc? Well, i think as a single, there are some things we can do to prepare prior to having a family. There's also that thing where we can submit our requests to God with a great burden and in His miraculous ways provide the desires of our hearts. I know some homeschoolers and they turned out wonderful. Alot of the concerns i have heard, especially social development, were all shot down by the lives of these people. So, i would start praying now while single and ask for God's will to provide a way for homeschool to happen if you feel strong about it. Sometimes, moving may need to be considered for living standards. It depends on individual circumstances.

2007/2/8 17:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

P.S. Brian, are you and your fiance planning to live in S. Korea after you're married? There is an increase of homeschooling families in S. Korea, which means more resources.

Roniya,

You and Krispy have made some great points for homeschooling and my fiancee have since been discussing that option. It is funny, she started defending public school with the same points I did. So, I will show her this thread and then we will discuss it further.

As for our plans, she and I will be getting married here on May 5th and then AGAIN in Canada on July 7th (07/07/07). In the meantime, I am awaiting acceptence into a divinity college in eastern Canada. I should hear from them this week, however, I have to wait until June 1st to apply for student loans. This means that I will not know anything concrete until about July 1st.

If everything goes through, then we will stay in Canada for 3+ years to study. She wants to earn a degree as well. If I do not get accepted into the masters program or for the student loans, then my plan, for now (which is open for advice or suggestions), is to come back to Korea and work as an English teacher to continue paying off previous student loans.

Hopefully, I earn a masters degree and then continue following my purpose. We have in our hearts that we would both like to spread the Goods News all over the world. I have very little experience with the Word and history, so I feel that 3 short years of focused study would be beneficial (again, open for or advice suggestions).

I would like several children and she says she could only handle two...maybe three :-P ...but I will try to 'encourage' her for more (maybe I can get five out of her!!!). Although, we both know that God has a plan for us. Our open discussion about it is more of a joke, because I tell her that we are having 12 and NOW she has to homeschool them all!!! My way of thinking is to aim high and get more, rather than aiming low and getting less.

I love Korea and would not mind if God wanted me to stay here my entire life. I have been to several churches here and they have always been welcoming to me and very encouraging. If that were the case, we might take your advice on homeschooling, because Korean children and adults can be a little 'racist' when it comes to 'mixed' blood (well, unless you are Hynes Ward, so I guess we have to be exceptional to be accepted).

She and I have started our relationship with God as our first love. We both understand that in God's hands we will always be safe. So, even though I say that I want this or that, ultimately it is all up to God.

iansmith's, original question seems to be getting answered here: Q: Is public or christian school better? A: Neither. Teach your own children and if you are unable to do that take great care in your choice, but make sure you are actively involved with them throughout their (your) entire life.

Like I said though, I have no children, so I am really talking out of my pie hole (I read someone wanted to talk about pies on sermonindex).

God Bless those that Love,
BrianMira :-D

2007/2/8 20:04

Re: Brian

Quote:
I would like several children and she says she could only handle two...maybe three ...but I will try to 'encourage' her for more (maybe I can get five out of her!!!). Although, we both know that God has a plan for us. Our open discussion about it is more of a joke, because I tell her that we are having 12 and NOW she has to homeschool them all!!! My way of thinking is to aim high and get more, rather than aiming low and getting less.

That's great what you said about aiming high! The reason I asked about you staying in South Korea was because we have a lady in our church whose son is a missionary in South Korea to families. Here is the [url=http://www.familymission.org/main/home.php]website[/url] for this ministry. Perhaps the Lord will cause you to cross paths with Brad or one of the families involved in this ministry.

I can understand your fiance's mindset on children. From what I've heard four or five children is a HUGE family in South Korea...so I can well imagine her response to twelve!

A book that just came to mind is the story about the Pent family. It's called [url=http://www.visionforum.com/booksandmedia/productdetail.aspx?productid=85726&categoryid=163]'Ten P's in a Pod'[/url]. This is a really neat story about this family who not only homeschooled but also travelled and ministered as a family. They have a very inspiring testimony on reading the Bible together as a family.
Quote:
She and I have started our relationship with God as our first love. We both understand that in God's hands we will always be safe. So, even though I say that I want this or that, ultimately it is all up to God.

Amen. It sounds like you're started in the right direction. :-)

May the Lord bless both you and your fiance as you follow God together.

This is a major bunny trail from the main topic but...here are some neat quotes by Oswald Chambers to his future wife, Biddy.
"I am more and more certain God is leading to great and solemn things in the future for you and me together for Him. Never fear. He is training you."
"Yet, He is preparing us for what He is preparing for us."
"Be patient and so utterly confident in God that you never question His ways or your waiting time."
"We will be the two sent out by Him. I need you to keep me strong in the way He calls."
"I see loyalty to Him and nothing else and you will help me to be loyal to Him."
"I can see how mightily God will use us as one. I am finding out how much Mrs. Reader Harris was behind her husband. The public saw him, but she was the power behind the throne. He is preparing us both for the same power and service."
[i]Taken from letters to Biddy in the book 'Abandoned to God'[/i]

2007/2/8 20:44
kriska82

Re: Christian School or Public School?

I went to a Christian school from Kindergarten through 12th grade. I will not send my children to Christian schools someday because I believe that it goes against what we as Christians are on earth to do. We are commanded in Matthew 28:18-20, The Great Commission, to make disciples = followers of Christ. We are also commanded to 'go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.' If your child is a Christian then they should be in the world preaching the Gospel. Christian schools in my opinion, do not allow for what we are commanded to do, preach the Gospel, to be fulfilled. Christian school kids as a result of not being in the 'world' become very passive in ministry. Jesus Himself came into the world in order to save the world, 'to seek and to save the lost.' We as Christians are to be like Christ and how can we seek and save the lost when we are in a place where everyone claims to be a Christian, thinks they are a Christian, or in fact is a Christian. I went through 13 years of Christian school and left believing I was a Christian because I believed in Christ, had said the sinners prayer, and was a moral person, but in all reality I was not a Christian. I did not make Christ Lord of my life at the time. I did not deny myself daily and take up my cross and follow Him. In fact, it took me another five years after I graduated from the Christian school in order for me to realize that I was never a Christian. I fear for Christian school kids who think they are Christians because they have so much head knowledge about the Word and they seem to be living moral and upright lives for Christ. Sadly, but truly it took me about three years of rebellion once I got out of the Christian school in order for me to hit bottom and realize my need for Christ in my life. Save your children from this and put them in the world where they can see how wicked it is and how mankind needs a Savior and hopefully they will see for themselves how sinful they are and that this sin is separating them from God on their own. I now go to a public university and thank God that I have a Christian organization here called Campus Outreach. They preach and follow the Great Commission. Evangelism is key and most Christian schools are not even evangelizing to their own students. Campus Outreach is great because you get godly influence and Biblical teaching the equips you with the tools to impact our campus for Christ and to grow in our relationship with our Savior. What we need is more Christians in the public school and more of a step up by Christian adults who will pour their lives into raising up and training children how to follow the Great Commission in the world without being of the world.

I've also read through some of these opinions on here and I'm ashamed that so many people are mentioning test scores as why to send their children to a Christian school when there are millions of souls in our public school system that need to be told and showed the love of God and how the greatest gift ever is eternal life through Jesus Christ. Saving souls OR Better test scores? Please, open your eyes.

One more thing: If you train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it. Sheltering your children is not the route to take, but teaching your children will have an even greater impact. Teach you children about Christ. Live as godly examples for them to imitate.

2007/2/8 21:35Profile
graybeard

detroit, michigan area

Re:

My children are now grown and 2 out of 3 are married with children.
i think one of the wisest decisions we made is that my wife would stay home until the children were in school or almost so. this was a big financial hit for us but we believed God would honor this and that the time investment in our children would pay bigger dividends than the money my wife could earn. as i look at my childrem today i think we were correct.

we sent them to public school and home schooled them at night and on the weekends. my main concern for them was not the content of their brains but the condition of their spirit. the mind is important but not primary. no matter how much good info we pour into their minds if they don't know Jesus personally and intimitely it is of no avail.

also i always considered them our primary disciples. as they lived with us day to day they were able to decide by watching us if Jesus was for real.

was Jesus 'home schooled'?

2007/2/8 23:26Profile

Re:

Kriska... I respect your opinions, and you need to do what you believe God has called you to do.

Having said that, 5 year children are not missionaries. The Bible is clear that we are to teach our children God's Laws when they go to sleep, when they rise up, when they are eating and when they are walking down the road.

Unless you're prepared to spend equal time everyday to offset the godless education and wicked influences they will experience every single day in the public schools, then you will be fighting a losing battle. Your child will hopefully come out the other side with their faith in tact... but many times they do not. Or at most they are a Christian who is a worldly compromiser. Rarely does a child get thru 12 years of public schools as a Charles Spurgeon.

We who homeschool look at it several ways.

The boat analogy:

When they build a ship... where do they build it? Out in the ocean? No. They build it in the shipyard on dry land. Not until the last rivet is in place, and they know it's waterproof do they launch it into the ocean. The same thing, we believe, is true for children. We don't believe throwing our children to the wolves and calling it a "mission field" is effective. When a missionary goes to a mission field they don't go there to be taught... they go there to teach. Calling a child a missionary and then sending them off to be taught a godless education is backwards.

Greenhouse analogy:

Not that different from the boat analogy... my wife begins growing tomatoes in her little green house before so that the roots and stalks are strong enough to withstand rain and wind. Once their are strong, she introduces them to the soil.

Get what I'm saying?

And we're not isolating our children from the world so they have no effect. If you think that, then obviously you didn't read anything I wrote. On top of everything my kids are involved in, they also go with me when I minister at the rescue mission. Unfortunately they cant go with me into the prisons, but they wish they could. They witness to their teammates in football, basketball & wrestling. Plenty of public school kids there.

Instead of throwing our kids to the wolves, we find ways for them to witness and minister ... but they are in environments that are controlled.

Someday, when you have kids of your own, and you look in their eyes and you realize that YOU must answer to God for how they are raised... you will probably sing a different tune.

Krispy

2007/2/9 9:16

Re:

Quote:
we sent them to public school and home schooled them at night and on the weekends. my main concern for them was not the content of their brains but the condition of their spirit. the mind is important but not primary. no matter how much good info we pour into their minds if they don't know Jesus personally and intimitely it is of no avail.

Amen! My wife gave a seminar at a homeschool convention a couple weeks ago and she made the comment "My number one goal is to see my 4 sons grow to be godly men. If that happens, it matters not to me if they are digging ditches or corporate executives. Either way, I will have succeeded at homeschooling."

Krispy

2007/2/9 9:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy