SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your favorite book(s): suggested reading.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Your favorite book(s): suggested reading.

What books have really moved you? Maybe opened your eyes or brought you closer to Christ? How about a better understanding of some theological issue?

Biographies, devotionals, and commentaries list any and all, just name it and why.

I have saved a few pennies and would like some suggestions before I purchase.

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/4 19:49Profile

Re: Your favorite book(s): suggested reading.

I'm nearly finished with [url=http://www.amazon.ca/Robert-Murray-MCheyne-Andrew-Bonar/dp/085151085X]Robert Murray M'Cheyne by Andrew Bonar[/url] and it has been a phenomenal book. I'm putting this near the top of my favorites.

I'll just name one right now. ;-) My favorite place to shop are used bookstores, especially used Christian bookstores...so I have quite a few favorite books I picked up here and there.

2007/2/4 19:55

Re:

Grace Abounding by John Bunyan

2007/2/4 20:03
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Well, the one book I relentlessly endorse is [i]The Christian in Complete Armour[/i] by William Gurnall. It is widely acknowldeged as the greatest treatise on spiritual warfare ever penned. It has been lavishly acclaimed by Ryle, Spurgeon, Ravenhill, Newton, Wilkerson. I am not hyperbolizing when I say that almost [i]every sentence[/i] is redolent of deep wisdom and divine truth. Since spiritual warfare is such a major part of the Christian's life, a proper understanding of this topic is of the utmost importance to every saint. In this spiritual battle manual, Gurnall totally unmasks Satan's schemes, tactics, plots,and traps in a brilliantly epigrammatical and understandable English style. But he doesn't stop there - he teaches how to fight back and drench your sword in demonic blood. The book will bring you to your knees in awe of the wisdom God gave to this man.

Another life-transforming book is [i]The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life[/i] by a Quaker lady named Hannah Whitall Smith. Don't let the title fool you - it's not a "warm and fuzzy" book. This is an instruction manual on the topic of the blessedness found in the eternal principles of absolute surrender, an awesome truth also propounded by Andrew Murray. I think this book was written back in 1870. If you are able to grasp its simplicity, it will change your life forever.

There are so many other books I can recommend, but these two stand out like twin, towering peaks amidst a mountain range of godly books. These two have impacted my life in the greatest way imaginable, and the Lord has used them both to touch something in that mysterious [i]inner part[/i] where only He can enter and change.

Hope this helps!

Brother Paul

2007/2/4 20:28Profile

Re:

"Intercessor" a book about Rees Howells by Norman Grubbs.

"Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ" by Jeanne Guyon.

Two great books.

~sscott

2007/2/4 20:38
caldwell1

Rockland MA

The attributes of God,The Knowledge of the Holy and the Pursuit of God all by A.W Tozer.These books leave me hungry and thirsty for God Hope you enjoy them!!

2007/2/4 21:01Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Brother Paul

How much, if any, is lost in the modernized version of The Christian in Complete Armour?

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/4 21:18Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
How much, if any, is lost in the modernized version of The Christian in Complete Armour?

TJ, I'm glad you asked! :-)

I own both versions. The modern, abridged version is put out in three volumes by Banner of Truth, and is, actually, a good abridegment in my judgment. It's much better than what they did to Henry's commentary or probably John Owen's [i]Mortification of Sin[/i]. If you are not at all familiar with TCICA, I suggest getting your feet wet with the modernized version.

However...

The orginal version is over 1,200 pages. The modernized version is about 900. You can do the math. Much is cut out, and much of what is cut out is golden. The original volumes were published in 1655, 1658 and 1662 and, as you can imagine, the Puritan language is antiquated, the paragraphs thick and weighty...but, oh, the gold! In the modernized version, much of the gold is already mined and brought to the surface, neat and polished.

So, really, I recommed you start with the modernized version and eventually work your way to the original. But, if you feel intrepid enough to tackle the 1,200+ Mount Everest, go for it!

Brother Paul

2007/2/4 21:38Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Here's one that has been of particular blessing to me.

[url=http://www.kingsleypress.com/devern_fromke_books.php]Ultimate Intention by DeVern Fromke[/url]

This book focuses on seeing God's whole purpose for mankind, a purpose that includes redemption but also goes far beyond that. It's a call to a deeper walk and a life lived unto and by the power of Another. I think it's a must read for all Christians and it will really open your eyes to see from a much larger perspective.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/2/4 22:19Profile
Racward

Re:

reese howells divine intercessor

2007/2/4 22:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy