SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mercy and Truth

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Mercy and Truth

Pro 3:3 Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:

This is what Gill wrote in his commentary about this verse:

Pro 3:3 - Let not mercy and truth forsake thee,.... Or, forsake not them, and the exercise of them; show "mercy" to fellow creatures, to sinful men, to the bodies of men, by relieving their wants; and to their souls, by pitying and praying for them, and by giving them wholesome counsel and advice: to fellow Christians, sympathize with them in their troubles, put on bowels of compassion, be tenderhearted, and forgive offences; and, in a spirit of meekness, restore backsliders, for God will have mercy, and not sacrifice. Attend to "truth"; exercise faith on the Lord; cast not away your confidence; speak truth to your neighbour and brother; and hold fast the truth of the Gospel, and never depart from it. Though many interpreters understand this by way of promise, and as an encouragement to regard the doctrines and ordinances of Christ, rendering the words, "mercy and truth shall not forsake thee" (g); meaning the mercy and truth of God; the "mercy" of God in forgiving sin, in sympathizing under affliction, in helping in time of need, in supplying with all needful grace, and in bringing to eternal life; for the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting, upon them that fear him, Psa_103:17; the "truth" of God, his faithfulness in performing promises, never fails; the unbelief of man cannot make it of no effect; though we believe not, he abides faithful and true to every word of his; not one shall fail, or pass away; all shall be fulfilled; see Psa_89:33; "all his paths are mercy and truth", and he never goes out of them, Psa_25:10;

Christ is in you the Christian. Jesus prayed to the father in John chapter 17 that our glory may be in them {us}. This should be in us and our lives. Here is part of the verses that are a word picture that describe the glory and name of god as he passed by Moses:

Exo 34:5 And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

Exo 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,

2007/2/4 2:48Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Mercy and Truth

Hi Gary

Was looking for something and happened upon this passage...

Thou hast a mighty arm:
strong is thy hand, and high is thy right hand.
Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne:
mercy and truth shall go before thy face.

Blessed is the people
that know the joyful sound:
they shall walk, O Lord,
in the light of thy countenance.

In thy name shall they rejoice all the day:
and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.
For thou art the glory of their strength:
and in thy favour our horn shall be exalted.

For the Lord is our defence;
and the Holy One of Israel is our king.

[i]Psalm 89 verses 13-18[/i]

If God be for us, who can be against us?!

When I happened across this I was listening to this song I just downloaded from Godly music, called [i]Faithful And True[/i] ...really like it.

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=2725&commentView=itemComments]Faithfull and True[/url]

Peace be upon you as you walk in Messiah Jesus.

2007/2/5 11:10Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy