SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Receiving the offering

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Receiving the offering

I just finished reading the thread on tithing. Quite interesting. It got me thinking about the method used in the vast majority of churches today of passing a basket throughout the congregation during the service. I can find no biblical basis for this practice. Does anyone know how it began?

I went to a church for several years that did not take a collection. Instead there was an attached wooden box at the rear of the sanctuary for people to drop their gifts. This church was consistenly blessed with provision. This seems to me to be the biblical model. Maybe I am mistaken, but didn't the widow place her generous gift in a collection box?

Your thoughts?

Doug

2007/2/3 12:55Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Receiving the offering

I'm not quite sure when the method of passing around an offering plate first originated in a church service. It, like having a box in the rear of the sanctuary, probably just arose over time from practical considerations of how to best take up an offering. Neither have any prescribed basis in the New Testament. When the widow gave her two mites, it was simply at a place in the temple the Old Testament priest had designated that such an offering take place.

2007/2/3 13:13Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

I think my concern over the practice arises from the concept of anonimity. Whether or not one is giving is a matter between the individual and the Lord. How often has it happened that a brother is faithful to give, but notices another brother who never puts anything in the basket, and colors his opinion of that persons walk as a result?

Was the practice instituted by men who reasoned that people must fear man's judgement to spur the take? And what about the relatively new practice of publicly waving their checks in the air as they dance down the aisles to men holding buckets at the front?

All in all, this matter is a relatively small thing. I just believe it requires a little more faith, trusting in His provision alone, to place a box rather than taking an offering. Just an opinion that I don't have a great deal of scripture to back up, so take it at face value.

In His Love

Doug

2007/2/3 14:11Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I would like to know where the church has ever thought it had the right to take up an offering? What would happen if any member of the congregation just jumped up, let's say, the Sunday school teacher, and asked to take up an offering for the ministry they performed that morning? I imagine nothing short of a scandal would erupt.

2007/2/3 14:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy