SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 666 or 616?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rocklife

usa

666 or 616?

someone is claiming they are a bible scholar to me, and saying 666 is a copyist's error, and the number is actually 616. this is news to me.

any comments? I looked at wikipedia, and this person totally discredits wikipedia, I can understand why, but they don't give me any other source material to find out more.

thank you for your help.

2007/2/3 12:19Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: 666 or 616?

I think this may be something that is going around "atheist circles." It might not be. But I recently ran into an atheist that was claiming this very same thing. I am hoping someone has some info on it. It is the first I have heard of it.

2007/2/3 12:21Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

if you do a search on '666 or 616' you will get lots of results.

2007/2/3 12:22Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

I believe that scripture is absolutely clear that the number is 666. There has been, to my knowledge, no credible bible scholar that has disputed this.

Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (KJV)

Rev 13:18 Here is wisdom. He that hath understanding, let him count the number of the beast; for it is the number of a man: and his number is Six hundred and sixty and six.(ASV)

This is nothing more than the enemy of our soul trying to cause us to question Scripture.

Blessings Greg

P.S. Perhaps the next new translation released will make the change. :-o

2007/2/3 12:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

The Greek is actually 3 Greek letters (ch)xs. The Greeks used letters to signify numbers. If you follow this link to [url=http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Greek_numbers.html]Greek Number Systems[/url] and scroll down the page you will find an alphabetic table with the numeric equivalents. Using the three Greek letters from the Revelation would give us...
(ch) = 600
x=60
s=6For the number to read 616 the cental Greek letter would have to be 'i'. In the history of studying the ancient texts only one 'editor' has suggested this and that as a marginal alternative and not his first choice. That was [url=http://www.bible-researcher.com/bib-l.html#lachmann1842]Lachmann[/url] in 1852. I can't trace it any further so I have no idea why Lachmann wanted to have this reading in his margin but every edition since has categorically rejected it in favour of the 666.

There have been many theories as to the significance of 666. Many of the early Brethren identifies '6' as the number of man (he was created on that day) and that this number signified that for all the claims of this imposter he is still just a man.

Here's an interested download, with a humourous introduction, if you want to pursue this further. Download from [url=http://www.christchurchreformed.com/revelationbibleoutlines/Revelation42.pdf]here[/url]

2007/2/3 13:26Profile

Re:

Ha! Ron, CPD. it's perfect. you are killing me.

bub

2007/2/3 15:58
jordanamo

Re:

http://www.csad.ox.ac.uk/POxy/beast616.htm

This was discovered in 2005..

Jordan

2007/2/3 16:10Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi i heard a sermon online at Watermark Church with Todd Wagner & the guest Daniel Wallace where this was mentioned..there's two sermons the second a questions & answers..He mentioned it in passing as something he was investigating..the sermons are online through Watermark Church..

Daniel wrote the excellent Reinventing Jesus with two other writers..
andy

2007/2/3 17:03Profile

A friend of mine is 100% sure that God told him that the 666 beast is the internet. He won't get the internet. Guys were all doomed, were on the internet and we've taken the mark by being on here.

But regarding 666, I have heard of the 616 theory, I have heard of the 999 theory as well. By the way if you look at our Canada liquor symbol its 666 upside down. I dare not show him that one.:-P

It only goes to show that no one hath any wisdom or understanding to count the number of the beast. It not a matter of simple math, it's a matter of having WISDOM and UNDERSTANDING, which we all seem to lack.

2007/2/3 19:41
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Jordan
thanks, that is the best image I have seen.

2007/2/4 2:50Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy