SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Church's 'Jesus Loves Osama' sign criticized

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jordanamo

Church's 'Jesus Loves Osama' sign criticized

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/01/wosama101.xml

The slogan, a reference to Osama bin Laden, the al-Qa'eda leader, has provoked a storm of controversy across the country despite its apparently Christian message of forgiveness.

Small print at the bottom of the sign urges churchgoers to "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you", a quotation from Matthew 5:44.

But John Howard, the prime minister, said that the church should have chosen a less offensive way of spreading its message.

"I understand the Christian motivation of the Baptist church," he said.

"But I hope they will understand that a lot of Australians, including many Australian Christians, will think that the prayer priority of the church on this occasion could have been elsewhere."

Peter Jensen, the Anglican archbishop of Sydney, said that the sign - which has been put up outside several churches in the city - was confusing and potentially offensive.

"There is a truth in it," he said. "But, "what we've got to say is, 'Jesus doesn't approve of Osama.' It makes it sounds like, 'Oh, Osama's doing the right thing'."

A spokesman for the Central Baptist Church told the Australian Daily Telegraph that it was merely "sharing the gospel".

He said: "Osama is the head of terrorism. We are saying that Jesus Christ loves everyone in the world, even this man. ... All we are doing is sharing the gospel."

Good for them.

Jordan

2007/2/2 15:54Profile
Remnant119

Re: Church's 'Jesus Loves Osama' sign criticized

Psalm 5:5 says God hates Osama!

2007/2/2 15:59Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:
Psalm 5:5 says God hates Osama!

Psalm 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Osama is a fool, I don't doubt that. We are to pray for him, however. He is not Satan, still has a soul, and as our enemy, we are to pray for him as Jesus said. For are we not all sinners? I don't believe God hates Osama anymore than John Doe over there who rebels. His hate doesn't work like our hate.

Jordan

2007/2/2 16:18Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:
For are we not all sinners? I don't believe God hates Osama anymore than John Doe over there who rebels. His hate doesn't work like our hate.

If God hated me, He wouldn't have died for me. If God hated Adam, He wouldn't have told Him to put a skin (covering) on. If God hated you, you wouldn't be alive right now. (He has ultimate power) Hate is a strong word. God's love is endless, the gospel is GOOD news, not bad. That He wants to wipe away EVERYONE's sin.

If God hated us, His desire would to be just the opposite.

2007/2/2 16:20Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well we should pray for usama, imagine nine aclock news Usama converts to Christianity!
and if he dosent...God will do right....

2007/2/2 16:25Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:
If God hated me, He wouldn't have died for me. If God hated Adam, He wouldn't have told Him to put a skin (covering) on. If God hated you, you wouldn't be alive right now. (He has ultimate power) Hate is a strong word. God's love is endless, the gospel is GOOD news, not bad. That He wants to wipe away EVERYONE's sin.

Sigh, I don't think you saw that I was trying to emphasize that God's hate = not our hate, and thus it's difficult to compare the two.

God loves those who come to him in submission. He hates rebellion.

Let that be said.

That doesn't mean, however, that he has not open arms for the rebellious. But that doesn't mean he's ooey-gooey with the rebellious either.

Really, it's a balance! Jesus loves everyone, yes! But He also hates, or is angry with may be a better term, those who rebel against His Father everyday. That doesn't mean he doesn't love them though, he also loves them, and is angry with them, I suppose you could say.

Remember, God has prepared a place of eternal fire for those who die in their rebellion. I must make mention of that, because it's the keystone of understanding God's love/hate dynamicness. He also has placed eternal heaven for those who submit to him in love.

Let God not be made in our own image... he is what He is, and the Bible says how that image is, all throughout.

Jordan

2007/2/2 16:33Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

My prayer is that God would save Osama and that he would be used by God to spread the gospel of Christ to this world.

It is not my position to say whether or not God hates a particular person, but we do know that God hates workers of iniquity.

2007/2/2 16:34Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

and lets remember Gods hatred , and wrath is not like the most hate we meet, most of the hatred we run into or feel ourselves are evil, Gods holy wrath and hatred are GOOD....

2007/2/2 16:37Profile
Rahman

Re: Church's 'Jesus Loves Osama' sign criticized

i can see where this sign would cause controversy with non-Christians, or with Christians more nationalistic than Christ-like, but we saints know what John 3:16 says ...

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that [b]whosever[/b] shall believe in Him might not perish but have everlasting life" ...

God may hate the evil that Osama is doing, but until Osama closes his eyes in death without becoming a [b]whosever[/b], even he's not made God's "official" hate list yet ...

Rev.20
[11] And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
[12] And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
[15] And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Blessings in Christ Jesus! ...

2007/2/2 16:52Profile
SDE

Arizona

Re:

Yes pray for him. And let your motivation be "so that you can be like your Father in heaven." For God's glory alone.

2007/2/2 17:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy