Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need advice on Matthew Henry commentary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Best commentary i have read so far.

Its a good choice, The concise is just bigger i think.

Of all the commentaries i have read that one seems the most accurate.

2007/2/3 1:37Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

You'll find an introduction to [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Henry]Matthew Henry[/url] on wikipedia.

Spurgeon used to tell his students; "if you don't have a copy of Matthew Henry, sell your coat and buy one and then preach in your shirt-sleeves"

2007/2/3 7:49Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Matthew Henry

A couple of old posts that might be of some interest, though unrelated to the commentary. From our sister geraldine;

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=3178&forum=40&post_id=&refresh=Go]Forgotten past of my town feat. Matthew Henry[/url]

A 'updated' version;
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10348&forum=40#80417] Forgotten past of my town feat. Matthew Henry Update[/url]

2007/2/3 8:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

So you think Matthew Henry is better then Adam Clark? Just wondering. We own a Clark's commentary, not a MH.

ginnyrose

2007/2/3 9:30Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Charles Spurgeon said, "If I must have only one commentary, and had read Matthew Henry as I have, I do not know but what I should choose Poole. He is a very prudent and judicious commentator . . . not so pithy and witty by far as Matthew Henry, but he is perhaps more accurate, less a commentator, and more an expositor."

God Bless

TJ

2007/2/3 9:50Profile

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
Spurgeon used to tell his students; "if you don't have a copy of Matthew Henry, sell your coat and buy one and then preach in your shirt-sleeves"

I like that. Thanks for passing it on.

Quote:
"If I must have only one commentary, and had read Matthew Henry as I have, I do not know but what I should choose Poole. He is a very prudent and judicious commentator . . . not so pithy and witty by far as Matthew Henry, but he is perhaps more accurate, less a commentator, and more an expositor."

Okay, so sell your coat for Matthew Henry; wonder what Spurgeon would have recommended selling for Poole? :-P

2007/2/3 12:13
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

They are very different in style and purpose and it theological position.
Adam Clark was Methodist Arminian, and his work is more 'scholarly'.
Matthew Hentry was Calvinist and his work more devotional.

If you are struggling to interpret a difficult passage Adam Clark will nearly always have some suggestions for you. Although his work is more scholarly he was a regular preacher who had Wesley's confidence.

2007/2/3 13:51Profile

Re:

Just ordered my 6 volumes! I can't wait to get it!

2007/2/4 0:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy