SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need advice on Matthew Henry commentary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Need advice on Matthew Henry commentary

I am considering buying a six volume set Matthew Henry Commentary. The set I'm considering is used and will cost $30.
So my questions are:
Is this a good price?
Would it be better to get the one huge volume?
What about the concise version?
Pro's and con's of Matthew Henry?
Any other commentary that would be better?

Thanks!
:-D

2007/2/2 10:55

Re: Need advice on Matthew Henry commentary

If it was $5000 it would be worth it. But $30 is probably a great price on average.

I recommend the set. If you get it in one big volume you would probably wear out the binding pretty quick if you use it as much as I do. Also, in the big volume the type is quite small and hard to read.

Dont bother with the concise. It's Matthew Henry lite, and you subject yourself to what the editor thinks is important, and miss out on a lot of treasures that Mr. Henry had to give. Also... the concise will run ya $15 - $20, so spend the extra $10.

Pro... MH had incredible insight. His commentary is very easy to read, but at the same time incredibly deep. It's very good as a devotional if you're sick of all the "10 minutes with God" devotionals that are out there.

Con... MH does lean some toward Calvinism, but I dont think he was a hard core Calvinist. I think he was very balanced. Some others might disagree.

Any other commentary that would be better? Other than the Bible istelf, I cant think of any.

BUY IT!!! You'll love it.

Krispy

2007/2/2 11:04
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

This is a dear man (Matthew Henry). I use his commentary at times and it's free in e-Sword and integrates a lot of other great commentaries (Wesley, Clark, Albert Barnes, John Gill commentaries, Robertson's word pictures, Marvin Vincent's word studies, and many other tools.)

The step reader is a great add-on as well. I have a few volumes because I like to refer to them regularly.

I would use the $30 to pay for those translations that aren't in e-Sword or send it as a gift to Brother Rick, who has done an incredible job for the body of Christ.

2007/2/2 11:24Profile

Re:

death2self...

I'm not in anwway trying to contradict your post. You made some good points.

I just want to express that while MH is free thru e-sword, there is nothing like being able to sit down at my desk with my Bible and whatever commentaries I'm using. I mark my Bible and commentaries up big time, and I personally find it better than reading the commentary on a computer. It's good to turn off all of the high-tech stuff and just study the books.

Who is brother Rick? Surely you dont mean Rick Warren! :-o

Krispy

2007/2/2 11:57
JennRich

Alabama

Re: Need advice on Matthew Henry commentary

Hi Joy -- did you know that the entire Matthew Henry commentary is available for free, online? Here's the link:
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/henry/mhc.i.html

Jennifer

2007/2/2 12:04Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

No probably Rick Meyers the man who started and runs e-sword.
I would buy the set as well. I used to have the one volume version, but my wife got me the five volume set for Christmas. There is such a wealth of information, it is like treasure chest waiting to be opened.
Henry was of the Calvinistic persuasion because of the Puritan ideals he had, of which I don't see a problem.

2007/2/2 12:09Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Quote:
No probably Rick Meyers the man who started and runs e-sword.

Yes, it was this Rick.

2007/2/2 12:33Profile

Re: Thanks

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. Ya'll convinced me; I bought it. 8-) I am looking forward into gleaning from the wisdom of Matthew Henry.

Hi Jennifer! Thanks for giving me the link to that website. I think I've been on there a couple times. But this time I wanted the actual books to peruse more closely and have more handy. ;-)

2007/2/2 21:01
JennRich

Alabama

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:
Hi Jennifer! Thanks for giving me the link to that website. I think I've been on there a couple times. But this time I wanted the actual books to peruse more closely and have more handy. ;-)

I'd rather read real books than a computer screen, too, if given the choice. . . I'm glad you got them.
Jennifer

2007/2/2 21:26Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Hi sister Joy,

My loving wife gave me the complete unabridged Matthew Henry commentery bookset (in 6 volumes), plus his complete sermons, prayers, treatises, letters, etc. in two additional volumes for my last birthday. The [i]complete[/i] Matthew Henry, everything the guy ever wrote! I love reading through the commentary, and all his sermons are holy and pure and full of Puritan wisdom. I strongly recommend getting the original and unabridged version; the concise one-volume leaves out tons of hidden gems. I have the Hendrickson 6-volume edition, used. I think she found it on Ebay for about 30 bucks.

In anycase, you will be mightily blessed with this commentary - I understand that George Whitefield was in the habit of reading through it on his knees.

Brother Paul

2007/2/2 21:30Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy