Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

What a Foolish Mockery

What a Foolish Mockery

By: Evan Schaible

"Go from the presence of a foolish man, when thou perceivest not in him the lips of knowledge. The wisdom of the prudent is to understand his way: but the folly of fools is deceit. Fools make a mock at sin: but among the righteous there is favor." (Prov. 14:7-9)

I am aware that this article may shake the very foundations of my ministry, and I may indeed lose many friends and subscribers. God has laid this on my heart, and I feel that despite the consequences I must relay this short and simple message despite the fact that I know i will be torn apart for it.

Throughout the book of proverbs we have warnings against not only acting and speaking foolishly, but also dwelling with foolish persons. This passage is clear as day when it comes to the harsh exhortations to the foolish man. But then it describes the type: fools make a mock at sin.

When we stand before this lost world, and preach Christ, we must also decry sin. If we lift up our voices for righteousness we must also lift up our voices against unrighteousness. This is just part of the preachers job; to tear down the strongholds held up by sin. But how do we do this?

If we are obeying God and preaching His word; we must take heed because it is a serious thing. We face greater condemnation if we preach wrongly, or lead anyone down false paths. If we build on the foundation of Christ we must take heed how we build and be sure our building is made of silver, gold and precious stones rather than wood, hay and stubble.

This simple Proverb is clear: Fools make a mock at sin. In my short days I have seen a fearful thing in the light of scripture - men who feel the need to mock sin and bring it down to a level of mere comedic acts rather than vicious rebellion against a holy God. I was guilty of it, but have since been dealt with and put off the thing. We must all ask ourselves: Does God think sin is funny? Does God look upon sin as something to joke about? Would Jesus Christ preach what you are preaching in the open air or from your pulpit? Sadly I have seen preachers, for whom I have much respect, fall into this fearful trap. It is no small thing to mock the very thing that God will cast multitudes into eternal fire for committing.

When we make a mockery of sin, especially in the open air, we are indirectly telling the crowd that sin is really not that serious. If we can mock at it and cause laughter about rebellious acts against God then we must check ourselves, and see how serious we ourselves view sin. Does God laugh at iniquity? God hates all workers of iniquity; but at the same time He loved them enough to shed His very blood, and offer up His soul as an offering for sin. It pleased God to bruise His only Son - for sin. Because of sin Jesus Christ was forsook on the cross of Calvary. Is that something to mock preacher?

When I see or hear phrases like "SICK OF QUEERS" and "God hates fags", and the term "baying swine" used to mean preaching at gay pride rallies I cringe. Allow me to say something very controversial in the light of this article, I love the homosexuals. And that love constrains me to preach salvation as well as damnation; God's love and God's hate. "Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth; and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth". Does God take pleasure in the death of the wicked? God is not willing that any should perish but all should come to repentance. Do you rejoice when you hear the failings of anyone; or when God reigns down judgment upon them? That is just as abominable to God as the sin He judged. God calls you to weep for these people and preach with a pure heart of love.

The conclusion is as follows: If you make a mockery of sin you are a fool because the the divinely inspired wise man says - "Fools make a mock at sin".

2007/2/2 8:41Profile

Re: What a Foolish Mockery

This is true, right when someone gets convicted the preacher will lighten the mood and not allow the Holy Spirit to work. It is sad that many will take a WOTM style Gospel presentation and then add "humor" to it as a way to "lighten" it up.

One question for Evan is if this is a worse mockery then preaching things like the Parable of the Dormie????

In Christ - Jim

2007/2/2 9:21
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

You can ask him that. This article was wrote after any video of that parable was put out. He may feel differently about that "parable" now. I don't know.

2007/2/2 9:26Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Sin is no laughing matter

I certainly have to agree that this type of humor (not) is a stench in the nostrils of God. I feel very strongly that there is as much correction coming to someone who does these things as there is to the one they are ridiculing. People who mockingly call people fags, etc are of questionable character in my book. It reminds me of what Jesus said about calling someone a fool. If we do we are in danger of hell fire. Why? because it doesn't come from a heart of love.

I once saw a preacher do a skit about how stupid a person looked smoking a cigarette. A person I ministered to was there, very new christian, that was struggling with this issue. He wasn't helped or delivered by the mocking he was offeneded and didn't come back to church. Humiliation is no subtitute for power. If the same preachers spent hours in the secret place getting filled with His presence they would be able to speak a word that would cause those bound to cry out for mercy and deliverence.

Well said PreachParsly. You are totally correct. I have to admit the whole idea of christian commedy bothers me. I don't see where it furthers the kingdom. If I could see Jesus doing it I would be more open, but I don't.

Also I must once again mention Art Katz, who I love. He talks about how even the music at times can quench what the Lord wants to do. The Holy Spirit might be convicting deeply of sin and a weeping may be upon the people, but the worship team lacks sensitivity to the Spirits leading and gets everybody to leaping around to rousing praise music. Those individuals are made to turn off the drawings in their spirits. It is the same with this commedy stuff at times. If a homosexual was in the meeting under conviction of sin and the "preacher" began to demean the individual, that person would go away offened rather than set free. The preacher would be held accountable for hardening a person even further in their sinful lifestyle.

I won't say it is always wrong to be funny. We just need to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and not over-step what He is doing with our wanting to be cute.

By the way I am having a bit of difficulty with terms used in posts that are inside information like:

WOTM style Gospel

and

One question for Evan is if this is a worse mockery then preaching things like the Parable of the Dormie????

Can you elaborate on what you mean by these?

2007/2/2 10:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I once saw a preacher do a skit about how stupid a person looked smoking a cigarette. A person I ministered to was there, very new christian, that was struggling with this issue.

Is this what this thread is about? I have struggled to get a handle on the issue. Are you talking about humourous street theatre or something more? Or are you talking about those preachers who fill their time with second hand jokes?

2007/2/2 11:28Profile

Re:

Sorry Goldminer...

WOTM refers to Way of the Master (Kirk Cameron and Ray Comfort). I use that as a general term for preaching law before grace and affiliate it with WOTM only because many are common with the message that ministry preaches.

Specifically I was talking about those who would show someone that they truly are lying theives and blasphemers before God and if conviction falls upon them making a joke about it to lighten up the mood rather then letting the Spirit work in the person.

As far as the parable of the five dormies, you can view it here on google. I did contact Evan about this in total love and encouragement with no condemnation a month or two ago and did not get a response.

I did not mean it as an attack on Evan, who from what I see has a heart fo the lost. I just question if he is talking about the "zany antics" of his preaching team in his writings or if he is talking about other peoples preaching styles.

I pray it is the latter and he has recognized the mockery and shame of openairoutreach.

Parable of the Dormies
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=9188131296567095094&hl=en

Dick and Jane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtH3rju8K40

In Christ - Jim

2007/2/2 12:24
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Parable of the Dormies

Ok thanks jimdied2sin, I listened to a bit of the video and all I can say is yuk.

2007/2/2 12:31Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I really hope this doesn't turn into anything like the last few threads on this topic. That isn't my intent at all.

I rejoiced when I seen the article because I know exactly where he is coming from.

Quote:
I pray it is the latter and he has recognized the mockery and shame of openairoutreach.

I'm hoping that this thread's focus doesn't turn into what is stated above. I really don't want to regret posting this article. I am really tired of seeing threads about OAO.

2007/2/2 16:04Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Is this what this thread is about? I have struggled to get a handle on the issue. Are you talking about humourous street theatre or something more? Or are you talking about those preachers who fill their time with second hand jokes?

Similar to the latter. A preacher might say certain things that are boarder line crude (or over the line depending on who you are or the situation) to keep the attention of the crowd.

An example might be preaching about fornication and using terms to describe the acts in detail. Or to use puns that technically you can say you are preaching against sin but the intent is really to "be funny" to keep the crowd interested.

2007/2/2 16:11Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

praise God for opening evan's eyes to this wickedness!

bless you, evan, for standing firm on the truth, loving the Lord above all no matter the cost!

2007/2/2 16:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy