Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Mark Cahill - I disagree

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Mark Cahill - I disagree

First let me say I listened to 'being a light in a dark world' and his audio book 'one thing you can't do in heaven' Ilike them both and until yesterday I agreed with him. I especially like the way he offers students money to witness and shows them that if they would do it for money then they love money more than God, if they won't witness for eternal rewards. (you'll have to listen, he explains it much clearer)

Anyway he says that you cannot fail in witnessing because there are only three responses; you either get
a)rejected and therefore store up eternal rewards,
b)leave them wondering and therefor plant a seed
and c)get them saved.

again I am being a bit simplistic here.

He says the only way to fail is not to witness.

Good point but is it possible to witness a false Gospel, even if you do it in all sincereness?

Is it possible to have God call you to go out and preach but do it in your own strength and therefore bring dishonour to God?

When (like yesterday) I go out and preach and fluff it, ramble on simi-coherently being distracted by people around and fumbling over bible verses, am I doing more harm than good?

I would love to give up street preaching, I really find it difficult but I use that as an excuise to say I'm not doing it in my own strength, and it's the Devil trying to shut me up.

I'm trying not to go on feelings, like 'I didn't think that went well', but I do often get disheartend afterwards.

Is this normal?

I do fast, pray and seek God for a word before I go out, I pray afterwards for the people who listened or received tracts.

But am I dishonouring God by not being eloquent or clear enough.

I would like your comments and experiences, I'm not looking for praise, and it's not written in false humility. I would just lkie to know about the struggles of others.

I have prayed about this and I often get verses like; 'go and preach' and 'they continued to preach the Gospel'. So I do think I'm on the right path. Is there something missing, or more I can do?

2007/2/1 23:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Mark Cahill - I disagree

I've yet to really understand the phenomenon of faithfully delivering the gospel, yet somehow feeling like one goofed the entire thing up. It's a strange and common thing amongst preachers. I've yet to meet a preacher who always feels good about the message they just delivered. My pastor once told me that just when you think you are being the least effective, that is usually when you are being the most effective. But then again, there are moments in preaching where one feels as high as a kite. Why this happens? I don't know.

But I have determined this in my heart, that when I preach, I don't even preach unto my own approval. I simply preach for the approval of Him who called me. We can't let the good times or even the bad be the ground of our confidence in carrying out the work of Him who has called us. If we know that we know that we know God has called us to a specific task, we must simply be faithful in what we set our hand on the plow to do, and then to do it with all our might.

It is possible to go out and preach and do so in your own strength. I know one time I was going to do such, and God warned me that if I went where I proposed in my heart to go, and say what I planned on saying, that I would go in my own strength. This is why we need to be sensitive to leading of the Spirit of God, and go in His power.

For a prophet like Ezekiel had no hope of resurrecting that valley full of dry bones in and of himself. Merely sermonizing the bones, and giving them a good person test would not do the trick. Rather, it took a life giving word that issued straight from the very throne of God in order to raise up those bones to life. Thus, when we preach, we should only aspire to preach out of the divine life that God has placed inside of us. And if we have no word that issues out of that place, then we must be content to go through silent periods.

2007/2/2 0:03Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Furthermore, though you might develop a habit of regularly going out to minister in the streets, don't let your habit dictate what you will do. If such a pattern is of the Lord, then go with it. The more I lean on God and trust in Him to guide me in regard to my own ministry, I have actually found of late that I go out and street preach less. In fact, though I consider myself a street preacher, I've not actually been out to preach in over half a year.

I'm simply waiting on God's timing to send me out yet again. And until then, I'm keeping busy by simply being faithful in all that I do, sharing my faith with people at work as the Lord leads, and then conducting a Bible study at a local homeless shelter. It's funny the seasons God brings one through. I believe I will be going out in the near future to preach open-air again. But for right now, I don't.

2007/2/2 0:08Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
I've yet to really understand the phenomenon of faithfully delivering the gospel,

Bless you KJ. I appreciate this statement.

MC

2007/2/2 0:20Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I have found in my own life the primary reason I feel I rambled on or lapsed into stupidity is because I tried to share beyond what is mine.

I call what is mine the revelation of God to my heart.

[color=6600CC]Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.[/color]

Our tesimony is the greatest tool we have. When we share what Christ has done for us we are speaking from a firm foundation because we own what we are saying.

We get into trouble when we think we have to answer all their questions. When questions come up that we don't know the answer to we are better off to say I don't have all the answers, I just know what He did for me. And tell them exactly what He did for you. If the person tries to get over into a battle of words we should end that conversation, with love, stating our own testimony and withdrawing in peace for another day. We can tell them we know someone with more wisdom and understanding than we have and if they would like to know more we will arrange a meeting. This will open a door for further ministry. Arguing points should never be a part of witnessing.

I recently read a statement that Jesus just spoke the truth, He never defended it because the truth speaks for itself. He left the hearer to mull over the truth and receive it or reject it.

2007/2/2 0:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
by KingJimmy on 2007/2/2 5:03:01
My pastor once told me that just when you think you are being the least effective, that is usually when you are being the most effective.

This is a comforting thought!

I often feel, when I have finished, that I would like to start all over again!

2007/2/2 6:24Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

In Revelation it says that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. Thus, whenever Christ moves in our hearts to testify to another about the work He has done in our lives, we can be confident that even though we aren't giving a "thus saith..." that what we say is in keeping with the Spirit that spoke through the prophets. Personal testimony about the work Christ has done in one's life is indeed the greatest form of witnessing one can do.

Anytime atheists and the like try to argue with me about God, or why I believe what I believe, I simply share what God has done in my life, and they are forced at that moment to either dismiss me or consider what I say. Whereas if you get into goofy apologetical arguments about philosophical and scientific proofs of God, you'll never accomplish squat for the sake of the kingdom of God. For nobody can be won through such silly arguments. Oh, I know this might hurt some feelings. But it is the truth.

And indeed, Jesus did have a "take it or leave it" attitude when he preached thus, for, as one possessing Divine authority, He was in no way under obligation to forcefully prove what He said. He simply let the truth speak for itself.

2007/2/2 6:25Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I often feel, when I have finished, that I would like to start all over again!

Indeed, such in part is probably what drives one to want to preach again.

2007/2/2 6:26Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

I had gotten stirred by the sermons by Mark Cahill and others last year. Around May, I had purposed to share the gospel with one new person a day, which I did for 30 days. Except for 3 days (not that I was counting ;-)) I had shared.

What I learned from that it is possible to be stirred in the soul and witness out of my own resources and methods. Of course, I was praying and seeking God, but much of that I can look back now and see was an Ishmael--an attempt to fulfill God's heart without a barren womb (of Sarah). Evangelism is a miracle of God. We thank God that we get a high privilege to co-labor with God and proclaim it, but it is very possible to try to produce something naturally which God desires only to produce supernaturally by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Now I am ever desiring to see the open door, but I am much more conscious to focus upon the Lord, and as I am in union with Him, the burden He has for souls becomes mine. King Jimmy made a good point about seasons. Jesus had a 30-year season of being at home, submissive to parents and working faithfully at a carpenter's bench. All the while multitudes were going to hell. Yet He could wait until the Father's timing to go forth, and in communion with His Father, He accomplished everything needed that the world lacked.

In Him,

Ken

2007/2/2 8:46Profile

Re:

KingJimmy - Those are some wise words you shared, thank you.

I encourage all to listen to this short comp on street ministry that ties into this thread...

[url=http://www.thesearchforbiblicaltruth.org/he_said_go_out__darren_smith.mp3]He Said GO OUT[/url]

In Christ - Jim

2007/2/2 9:28

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy