SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Don't read if you're eating!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Don't read if you're eating!

In the film "Alive" the passengers that survived had to eat the dead passengers to survive. :-o

Is this wrong?

2004/3/2 7:30Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Don't read if you're eating!

During the destruction of Jerusalem as recorded by Josephus there are accounts of starvation being so great that the Zealots would move in and reach into the peoples mouths to pull food out before the person who had been hiding it could swallow it. They hid food in any where they could. ( as an interjection they sold dung by weight for food in the O.T.) The Romans taunted the people outside the city by putting bushels of food on the ground on the outside part of the walls. One woman in a horrific state of delusion from hunger actually said something to her child like this "be food for me" and proceeded to cook and eat a portion. The zealots smelled something cooking and came in to see what it was..... even they were HORRIFIED as worn and hardened as they were at the sight they saw as they dipped the kettle. Jesus foretold of it in Matthew 24.

To answer your question was it wrong? Who can tell UNDER SUCH HORRIBLE circumstances? Otherwise it would be of a demonic wickedness the likes of which are reserved for the most darkened and depraved of reprobate souls.

When you consider Jesus saying the great tribulation will be such as the world has not seen and we know what history has already witnessed.... I must ask... what are we willing to do to have REVIVAL to avoid such unimaginable suffering and madness?

God Bless and best regards in Christ,

-Robert

2004/3/2 11:05Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Don't read if you're eating!

"Why do the nations rage, and the people plot a vain thing? The kings of the earth set themselves and the rulers take counsel together, [b]against[/b] the Lord and [b]against[/b] His Anointed, saying, Let us break Their bonds in pieces and cast away Their cords from us. He who sits in the heavens shall laugh; the Lord shall hold them in derision. Then He shall speak to them in His wrath, and [b]distress[/b] them in His deep displeasure; Psalm 2:1-5

Nothing is new under the sun.
In Christ
Jeff

2004/3/2 11:35Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Jeff:

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the significance of your biblical quote in the context of the ethical discussion here. I have got a friendly advice for you: consider [i]expounding[/i] on the verses you cite in your posts? ("The [i]unfolding[/i] of your words gives [i]light[/i]; it gives understanding to the [i]simple[/i]."-Ps. 119:130) I guess I am one of the "simple", you will have to open up God's word more in order to enlighten me. :)

Back to the original question.

I really don't know. I think eating human flesh is a horrible idea to most civilised culture. For instance, Chinese considers human beings as distinct from animals, and eating your own kind would definitely be considered a beastly behaviour.

However, like the movie cited, these unusual circumstances did arise in history. When survival becomes [i]the[/i] issue, civility is not at the top of the agenda.

During the Second World War in China, some Chinese families were in extreme starvation to a point where they seriously considered eating human flesh. Families would exchange their children for this purpose (it's easier killing and eating other's children than your own). It tells you how extreme the conditions were.

Of course, it is wrong. But who are we to judge? We should be thankful that God had not put us in similar dilemma. Indeed, He gave us his own son.

2004/3/2 12:54Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sorry Agent001, I missed the first post some how and just read the second.

My quote was based on the outcome of man's striving against God, and the results of that striving. And then I thought of the great tribulation. How men will still deny God. So this was the Scripture that came to mind.

In terms of the thread, I am clueless in regards to that plane crash or the Donner party etc. I can only imagine that maybe some cried out to God.

Sorry
Jeff

2004/3/2 15:15Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
However, like the movie cited, these unusual circumstances did arise in history. When survival becomes the issue, civility is not at the top of the agenda.

[b]Matthew 6:25-26[/b] - Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

[b]Psalm 37:25[/b] - I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.

The Scripture clearly shows us that to have faith in God for our food provisions is pleasing in His sight. 'Are you not much more valuable than they?' of course we are and God watches over us and ensures we are fed. Even in a point of survival, I would rely on God and pray to Him. If I had no relationship with God then I could see myself doing abominable things such as eating children to survive, but as a Christian and servant of God if I was to starve to death then I would give glory to God for that, as it is His will and look forward to the eternity with Him. We need to trust first that God is our provider and then obey as He provides for us.

2004/3/2 18:25Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Greg,

You are on the right track here. As Christians, we would do things differently than those who do not have the Lord living in them.

I am sure the Lord would take care of this- even if that meant no food.

2004/3/2 18:33Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Of course, it is wrong. But who are we to judge? We should be thankful that God had not put us in similar dilemma. Indeed, He gave us his own son.

I don't feel this would be judging brother. Forbid the thought of me being in a situation where there is absolutely no food, but I know I would rely on God not on the flesh (literally) ewww. :-P

Quote:
I am sure the Lord would take care of this- even if that meant no food.

Yes! Jesus and Moses fasted for 40 days so thats quite awhile. God provided food for elijah divenly a few times, and also the oil for the widow through Elijah's words. If God has given us His Son, He will also [b]with[/b] Him give us all things. Notice it says 'with Him' if we are apart from Christ we are enemies of God and the abundance of protection and blessings are foriegn to us.

2004/3/2 18:48Profile
nobody

Re:

38And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 25For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

8"If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire. 9And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.

I realize these verses don't say "Thou shalt not eat man flesh." What I don't understand, however, is why a Christian would be so worried about prolonging his life that he would stoop to such disgusting behavior. I know you're going to tell me that I've never starved before and I might change my mind. I'd like to think, however, that I've prepared myself for death and am ready to go any time. If that means laying down and folding my hands in prayer for days while starving to death so be it. I'd rather let somebody bludgeon me and eat me than vice versa. I won't miss this world a bit.

Christ called us to be ready to die whether it be beheading or upside-down crucifixion. I'd hope that when you're plane is going down and one parachute is missing you'll stay behind for the sake of the lost.

2004/3/2 19:28Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

See my previous post for the context.

I do not think the morality of eating human flesh is in question here! I cannot conceive of any human being let alone Christian doing such a detestable act at all.

[b]However[/b], we are all humans, weak and frail. In extreme conditions like wars, poverty and starvation, humans do commit extreme acts. This is true of Christians too.

It is easy for some well-fed American Christian sitting comfortably in his room eating his favorite snack to say how we should rely upon God's provision! (I can do that too... and preach ten sermons on it) However, you just might be the first one to fall when a severe situation arises.

We have all heard about the bravery of many Chinese Christians risking their lives for God and for their faith. But the reality is, there are [i]a lot more[/i] who had succumbed to the temptation of wavering in their faith--many of them well-known Bible teachers and preachers, who were no doubt genuine and fervent Christians. But even they may lapse into moments of weakness under the severe pressure from the Communists. (I thank God, who eventually restored many of them by reminding them of their first love; some Christians are not as forgiving).

Even the apostle Peter in his moment of weakness denied the Lord three times. His story proved that it is easy to say, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." (Matt 26:35) But to do it when the moment calls for it is quite another story.

2004/3/3 9:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy