SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Must Read: John Bunyan - Pilgrim's Progress

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Must Read: John Bunyan - Pilgrim's Progress

I found a copy of Pilgrim's progress for 42 cents at a used book store. Even though it smells a little funny, the book has been an amazing wealth of encouragement.

Even though it was written more than three hundred years ago, it's a very easy read! It's really enjoyable... and one thing I noticed, even in the form of a narrative, it has more biblical lessons than most theology and teaching books!

After reading the first couple chapters I was wondering how it could keep going for so long, since it feels like it reaches a climax every chapter, but the next chapter is even better every time!

Everyone should definitely read this book!

I don't know if you'll be able to find it for 42 cents like I did, but you can read it for free here: http://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html

2007/1/30 16:00Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Must Read: John Bunyan - Pilgrim's Progress

Hi iansmith...

I was "forced" to read [i]Pilgrim's Progress[/i] in a public High School shortly after meeting Christ. I had never heard of the book and was afraid that it would be less than favorable about the Lord. However, I was brought to tears by the passages written by John Bunyan. It is certainly a classic and should be read by as many believers as possible!

My girlfriend (originally from Mexico) had difficulty reading the old English, so I was able to purchase a copy in modern English. She treasures the book!

:-)

2007/1/30 17:20Profile
vico

Re: Must Read: John Bunyan - Pilgrim's Progress

besides the Bible, Pilgrim's Progress is probably the best book i've ever read!

i've read it many times over the past few years. the firs time i remember reading it was when i was six or seven. we owned a simplified version for children, it didn't leave anything out and a young child could understand it. I think A Beka books published it. since then i've read the complete unabridged version (it's kinda like reading the KJV ;-) )

but yeah, it's excellent, there are no unnecessary words, in everything written there is something to learn, a truth revealed.

I've even listened to it dramatized on audio (maybe this site has it)!

for those who haven't read it yet, i would definitely recommend it!

Bless God!

2007/1/30 17:31Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

I would have to go along with the others on my love of this book. An excellent read.

If you like this book you might like another wonderful allegory called " Hind's Feet on High Places" by Hannah Hurnard. I have read it about a dozen times.

Blessings my friends

2007/1/30 21:35Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I'd be interested to here the dramatized version, anyone know where to get it?

2007/1/31 11:08Profile
vico

Re:

a friend of mine is going to give it to me on MP3 maybe i could get it to you somehow!

2007/1/31 12:07Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Quote:
I'd be interested to here the dramatized version, anyone know where to get it?

Here ya go
[url=http://www.sermonaudio.com/source_prodinfo.asp?PID=le121043219]Dramatized Pilgrim's Progress[/url]

2007/1/31 12:21Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Eep! $29.99! I guess I should have expected as much. I found some free audio versions floating around, although not dramatized. I haven't had a chance to listen to any of them yet though.

2007/1/31 14:04Profile

Re:

We picked up both Pt. 1 and 2 at Hope Christian Fellowship in Loveland, CO a couple years ago. I know that pt. 2 was done by Jim Pappas. You might check with Phil Lapp and see if he can direct you to their tape ministry (they accept donations). Phil Lapp, Phone: 970-567-3032; Email: [email protected].

I've also seen another ministry offer these cassette tapes on a donation basis...so I know there are some places that you can get them at a slightly better price. ;-)

I also want to highly recommend The Holy War. I think I almost liked it better than Pilgrim's Progress...almost. :-)

2007/1/31 16:07
Provost

Re:

I just wanna throw in "I love this book!"
I think this book will be a life time read

2007/1/31 17:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy