SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : u2 hymns

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
wildhorse86

Re:

Well... given what I have read in published interviews with the band and such, I can't say that we can flat out say that they aren't Christian, and Krispy has jumped that conclusion.

Fruits can exist to a different extent, think about it, say you get a Christian who was a heavy drinker of say, 20 beers a day (in theory), and since conversion has bought it down to 10 a day and is slowly coming off it, I would say that is a fruit there, but some may claim that because he can't stop cold turkey that fruit doesn't exist.

Bono said that he struggles sometimes with folloiwing his faith, an interview taken in 2006 by a person in Australia called Andrew Denton.

I for one have never heard them curse God's name on stage, they have written some very deep God related songs, even though they can be ambigious.

I have heard them sing praises to God during their concerts.

Before the start of Streets with no name, they have gone,

Quote:
"Oh Lord, what can I give back to God, for the blessings he has poured out on me, what can I give back to God, for the blessings he has poured out on me, I lift high, the cup of salvation as a toast to my father, for following through on the promise he made to me... from the heart."

In another concert, they have sung,

Quote:
"Bow to the almighty, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah", on and on at the end of the song Walk On.

Read the lyrics of the song "40".
Quote:
"I have waited patiently for the Lord, he inclined then heard my cry, lifted me out of the pit, out from the mirey clay, how long to sing this song..."

Their song, Tomorrow
Quote:
"Open up, open up to the love of God.
To the love of He who made the blind to see
He's coming back
He's coming back
I believe Him
Jesus is coming"

In Gloria,
Quote:
In te domine...exultate...miserere" -- The first words in Latin of three Psalms--30 (31): "In Thee O Lord do I put my trust...", 32 (33): "Rejoice in the Lord, ye righteous..." and 50 (51): "Have mercy on me, O God." "O Lord, loosen my lips"--Psalm 50 (51): "O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise
There is evidence of faith there.

The First Time:
Quote:
"Gave me the keys to his kingdom coming" -- Matthew 16:19: "[Jesus said to Peter] 'I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.'"

"He said 'I have many mansions/And there are many rooms to see' " -- John 14:2: "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."

Yahweh:
Quote:
The title is the name of God.

"A city should be shining on a hill" -- Matthew 5:14: "You are the light of the world. A city built on a hill cannot be hid." (submitted by Robin)

When Love Comes To Town:
Quote:
"I was there when they crucified my Lord/I held the scabbard when the soldier drew his sword/I threw the dice when they pierced his side..." -- Matthew 27:35: "After they had crucified him, they divided his garments by casting lots."

Surrender:
Quote:
"If I wanna live I gotta die to myself someday" -- Luke 9:24-25: "For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?"

Until The End of the World:
Quote:
"We ate the food, we drank the wine...I took the money, I spiked your drink...In the garden I was playing the tart, I kissed your lips and broke your heart" -- see Judas and Jesus in Matthew 14-15, 20-29, 47-49

I believe their faith is there.

I am not in here batting for the band, or going along the lines of, "Oh no! you can't say that about my favorite celebrities", because I agree with quite a bit of what you guys are saying. But the fact is, we will never know until the day we are in Heaven, as to whether or not they are or are not saved.

The second you start thinking of them as celebrities, I reckon is when you start idolising them.

You said, "U2 wont save the church"... I entirely agree with that, I don't see how Beautiful Day or whatever, is a worship song. Our church has used it as an item song sometimes for a bit of fun, because lyrically it is clean, the same with Still Haven't Found, and a few POD songs, but by far, we have never used it as a worship replacement.

Michael

2007/1/30 8:17Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

Quote:

Meriwether wrote:
I used to be so deceived by and immersed in the modern gospel methodology that I can totally see myself ten years ago thinking that U2 would be a great way to reach out to young people.
=================================================

you know it!!!

if it takes magic and games and hype to win them it will take that to keep them.
but when we are begotten by the Word of God that Word will be more than anough to keep us.

The New Testament Church in the book of Acts did not use gimmiks, rock stars and "worldly influence" to turn the world upside down with the Gospel. They were filled with, and completley dependent on the Holy Ghost....maybe thats the problem!

2007/1/30 8:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
But on the other hand, I don't think any of you guys have really, and I mean, really listened to some of U2's songs. From their first album, to their latest, they have put faith statements in them.

Actually... I have. I'm 39. I bought their first album (vinyl!!) the day after it was released.

Been there, done that... had several of their t-shirts.

I was a heathen at the time. Nothing about U2 or their music made me aware of my need for a savior. In fact, I was surprised when I got saved in the early 90's that U2 was considered by some to be a "christian" band.

Pope John Paul II had faith... and did many many good things, and in many ways Bono seems to be a lot like the former Pope. But it doesnt matter how much faith one has if the faith is in something false (i.e. the Catholic Church), and it doesnt matter how much good we do, because before God our good works are as filthy rags.

What matters is... have we been born again? If we have not been born again we can not enter into the kingdom of God. And there is only one way to God... Jesus Christ. Bono does not believe this. The quote in my first post is from an interview in 2006.

Krispy

2007/1/30 8:39
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Bono

I must admit I have never listened to U2 and most likely never will. I only want to listen to what is inspired by the Holy Spirit.

I did see Bono on an interview and must say I did not see the light of Jesus coming from his life. My spirit did not mix with his spirit because light has not fellowship with darkness.

Bono needs salvation.

2007/1/30 9:00Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re:

Do not be fooled! Go to this link and watch the short video about U2.

http://goodfight.org/goodfight.org/u2.wmv

Just because a group uses scripture and talks about "god" in songs doesn't mean anything. Satan knows scripture and God.

I know how seducing music can be. I was once in it very deep including U2, ever since the early 80's before they were realy famous.

Please watch this clip!

In Him,
geddingsm

2007/1/30 9:23Profile

Re:

Bono wearing a headband on stage with the symbol of the cross, the star of David and an islamic symbol chanting "we are one"....

Whose more dangerous the metal band that proudly sings Highway to hell or the Antichrist band that appears as an angel of light?

Here is a small expose on Bono at [url=http://goodfight.org/goodfight.org/u2.wmv]Good Fight[/url]

2007/1/30 9:24

Re:

geddingsm - what a confirmation.. we both posted the same link at the same time... someone here needs to recieve this.

In Christ - Jim

2007/1/30 9:25

Re:

As I told someone just this morning... we need to surround ourselves with [b]strong[/b] Christians. Weak Christians are a worse influence on us than unsaved heathen.

Krispy

2007/1/30 9:57
wildhorse86

Re:

I've seen that too.
As far as I can tell, the motive behind it is to look at your similiarities, and not to keep fighting over your differences.

However, I also don't reckon that he has any right using the headband and singing to the coexist thing either.

Also jimdied2sin...

Quote:
Bono wearing a headband on stage with the symbol of the cross, the star of David and an islamic symbol chanting "we are one"....

He never says "We are one", He goes "Jesus, Jew, Mohamed, It's true, all sons of abraham..."

Now, I am still not justifying it, as I cringed when I saw him do it in concert.

Who are you implying is a weak Christian, me or Bono?

Michael

2007/1/31 2:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
He never says "We are one", He goes "Jesus, Jew, Mohamed, It's true, all sons of abraham..."

Really... you cant see what he's saying?

Quote:
I am still not justifying it

Hmmm... yea, you are. :-D

(Please understand, I'm not trying to fight with you by any means. I'm just trying to help you see the big picture...)

If you couple what you quote him saying with what I quoted him saying, it's quite clear what he believes, and what his message is.

My first impulse when I hear something come out of the mouth of someone who I hold in high esteem is to justify it and defend them... but words betray us sometimes. Even Ray Charles would be able to see where Bono is coming from. And it isnt Biblical Christianity.

Krispy

2007/1/31 7:45

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy