Discussion Forum : General Topics : u2 hymns

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
searchin

u.s.a. /

u2 hymns

whats up with this?

LONDON (Reuters) - For Anglicans who still haven't found what they're looking for, the Church of England is staging its first "U2-charist" communion service -- replacing hymns with hit songs by the Irish supergroup.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Rock music can be a vehicle of immense spirituality," said Bishop of Grantham Timothy Ellis, announcing plans for the unique service in the central English town of Lincoln in May.

A live band is to play U2 classics like "Beautiful Day" and "Mysterious Ways" with special singalong lyrics displayed on a giant screen. Seating for the 500-strong congregation is to be re-arranged so everyone can dance and wave their hands.

The service is to focus on the Millennium development goals -- U2's lead singer Bono is a leading promoter of the targets to alleviate world poverty.

2007/1/29 11:55Profile

Re: u2 hymns

Oi... anyone who thinks U2 is a Christian band should really look into the beliefs and lifestyles of the men in that band. While I think Bono's charitable efforts are admirable (and put many real believers to shame), and while most of their music has a positive and socially conscience message... they are not Christians as the Bible explains a Christian to be. [b]Nor have they ever claimed to be.[/b] Back in the 80's they mentioned Jesus a couple of times in "Sunday Bloody Sunday", and "In The Name of Love"... and some naive journalist for CCM magazine proclaimed them a "Christian band".

And anyone who thinks that the Anglican Church is a Biblically sound church that preaches salvation should really look into what they teach. At the most they are "apostate Catholics"...

That's true of U2 as well. By their lifestyles they proove that they are not repentant, born again believers.

So for a church to turn to their music for their hymns as a very weak way of attracting people is really quite amazing in light of the way the church is weakened in the end times. But then again, the Anglican church walked away from the Truth of the Word of God a long time ago.

So basically, this article is about an apostate church turning to unbelievers for their entertainment and "worship"... so what? The wordly love the world. Nothing new here. It doesnt effect the TRUE Church, except for those who think the ecumenical movement is wonderful.

[b]Bono[/b]: [i]The trick in the next few years will be not to decry the religious instinct, but to accept that this is a hugely important part of people's lives. And at the same time to be very wary of people who believe that theirs is the only way. Unilateralism before God is dangerous.[/i]

[b]Jesus[/b]: [i]I am the way, the truth, and the life: [u]no man[/u] cometh unto the Father, [u]but by me[/u].[/i] John 14:6

Krispy

2007/1/29 12:09
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

amen!

it's popular to give credentials to celebrities just because they claim to be christian. (although bono doesn't even claim Christ as Savior)

it seems popular to get the teens exposed to someone who we think they will see as cool or hip to try to win them to Christ.

when i was a young person in the world i did not come to Jesus because of some rock star or youth ministry that looked like and acted like the world.....i needed to change not something just like i already had.

in fact, the preacher who won me to the Lord was atleast 60 gray hair and he was not the picture of coolness!

but he loved God and he genuinly loved me.

thats what people are looking for no matter what there age or background===they are looking for someone to care about them and show them the love that they feel so desperate for.

they know they need to change and they need more then what they have now....someone different someone like Jesus will win them.

2007/1/29 16:53Profile
Meriwether

Re:

Amen again.

I recently listened to a sermon by Voddie Baucham in which he describes "the dance." It's basically the modern formula for evangelizing youth. It goes like this: First, some 40-year-old dressed like a cool dude sells his relevence with youthful phrases and such. Then he pounds them with emotionally hyped legalism to get them full of fear. Finally, he casts the widest possible net to pull them down the magical aisle where they repeat a magical prayer and are told, "you are now saved."

I used to take youth groups to evangelism conferences just like that! I used to be so deceived by and immersed in the modern gospel methodology that I can totally see myself ten years ago thinking that U2 would be a great way to reach out to young people.

I am so thankful to God for people who showed me my errors and taught me THE Gospel.

Thankfully,
C.M.

2007/1/29 18:03Profile
Meriwether

Re:

Amen again.

I recently listened to a sermon by Voddie Baucham in which he describes "the dance." It's basically the modern formula for evangelizing youth. It goes like this: First, some 40-year-old dressed like a cool dude sells his relevence with youthful phrases and such. Then he pounds them with emotionally hyped legalism to get them full of fear. Finally, he casts the widest possible net to pull them down the magical aisle where they repeat a magical prayer and are told, "you are now saved."

I used to take youth groups to evangelism conferences just like that! I used to be so deceived by and immersed in the modern gospel methodology that I can totally see myself ten years ago thinking that U2 would be a great way to reach out to young people.

I am so thankful to God for people who showed me my errors and taught me THE Gospel.

Thankfully,
C.M.

2007/1/29 18:09Profile
Meriwether

Re:

Amen again.

Thankfully,
C.M.

2007/1/29 18:15Profile
Meriwether

Re:

oops. sorry 'bout that

2007/1/29 18:17Profile
Santana

Re:

Quote:
it seems popular to get the teens exposed to someone who we think they will see as cool or hip to try to win them to Christ.

I think it was Ravenhill who said, "God's definition of 'cool' is lukewarm."

Bono is definitely a cool dude!

2007/1/29 20:07Profile
wildhorse86

Re:

Don't get me wrong, I love U2, in fact that is what I am listening to right now. I went to both their concerts, I reckon they are the best band in the world.

However, I reckon they can be idolised, and their songs are no replacement for worship songs.

But on the other hand, I don't think any of you guys have really, and I mean, really listened to some of U2's songs. From their first album, to their latest, they have put faith statements in them.

Bono doesn't act like a Christian should in many ways, and I am not saying he should be an exception, I wish he would pull himself into line in so many ways. However, to say that all the members in the band aren't saved, is a pretty bold assumption. I have read some auto biography material by Bono, and I am convinced that he has given himself to Christ, but has fallen off the rails and has drifted.

Michael

2007/1/29 23:50Profile
Revolution34

Cardiff, South Wales

Re:

I have to say that Krispy has spoken truth concerning this band. I like U2 as a music group, they are easily the best band around very artistic and not cheap lyrically. However i do not believe they are christian the fruit is missing. My vex is not with them however but with the church scene in britain, they are spiritually bankrupt destitute of any Holy appeal and have become the mockery and derision of a secular atheistic society. I want to say that Britian is in the grip of a terrible wave of antichristian skeptism. I was recently checking out the BBC website for religion and it is a classic example of the state of christianty in this nation, it is in a STATE! the site was overrun by atheist, skeptics and mockers and the christians on there were totally lukewarm, lethargic and unable to respond to the battery of desrisory questions and scientific twistings of the God haters. The UK church scene is interested in only one thing staying secure and undisturbed from goverment and social interference and is willing to pay any price to keep the peace. Yet society is becoming more intolerant of christians here and will not rest until the church is removed from all social influence. It is sad to say that the church scene in the UK is an embarrassment, it stands for nothing and has a voice that is weak and ignored. Backsliding and apostacy is the norm, saints are proud of their unbelief and stubborness more interessted in searching the scriptures for loopholes and excuses rather than Gods promises. So to come accross this article on U2 is beyond belief. U2 wont save the church, we haved Dawkins and Hawkings intellectualizing the absurdity of belief in God with a passion we have a goverment bending over backwards to elevate the rights of the homosexual agenda, we have the highest drug abuse levels in all of europe, the highest teen pregnancy rates in all of europe a rapid growing alchohol, gambling and STD problem and what do we present to our generation as the answer? U2 hymns, sorry if i sound emotional , but i am, this is disturbing, the church has lost its voice what does God have to do to wake up our churches to start revival praying? the apathy here is appalling please pray for britian we desperatly need a spiritual awakening. But as long as the church can has a burden to appear cool instead of Holy I fear we have a long wait coming.

2007/1/30 7:19Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy