SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Mount of Transfiguration questions

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Mount of Transfiguration questions

The recent threads on prophets and prophecy caused me to cast my mind towards the simplistic expositions I've heard about the Mount of Transfiguration - that Moses represents the Law and Elijah represents the prophets.

We know that Christ fulfilled the Law, and Himself was a Prophet - that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy (Rev 19:10) - but [i]not[/i] on this would I like to dwell in this thread. There is oodles of scripture to support it.

Rather, what of Moses and Elijah? Why would Jesus have us know of His fellowship with them? Is there any common ground between these two men of old, and if so, how can it be understood from scripture?

2007/1/29 5:08
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Mount of Transfiguration questions

Quote:
Rather, what of Moses and Elijah? Why would Jesus have us know of His fellowship with them? Is there any common ground between these two men of old, and if so, how can it be understood from scripture?

There may be some unique common ground between Moses and Elijah. Elijah never died, he was carried body and soul into heaven. The Bible does say that Moses died but then there is the strange and very unique circumstance of the devil and Michael fighting over his body. It is possible he was immediately resurrected after death. Conjecture I know, but possible, and many Jews have the notion that Moses is not dead but ascended.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/1/29 10:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Moses was the mediator, and Elijah the restorer of the Old Covenant.

The Greek for 'decease' in [color=0000ff]“who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.” (Luke 9:31 NKJV)[/color] is the word 'exodus'. Christ seems to have been talking about 'his exodus' on the mount. His 'exodus' would be the prelude to Covenant, as was Moses' exodus the prelude to his covenant.

As for Elijah, [color=0000ff]“Then Elijah said to all the people, “Come near to me.” So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.” (1Kings 18:30 NKJV)[/color] John, who came in the spirit and power of Elijah, fulfilled a similar ministry in the gospels. Of him, our Lord said, [color=0000ff]“Then He answered and told them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and restores all things. And how is it written concerning the Son of Man, that He must suffer many things and be treated with contempt?” (Mark 9:12 NKJV) [/color]

I think, perhaps, that Moses and Elijah represent the old that was to find it fulfillment and finish in Calvary.

2007/1/29 14:20Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I think, perhaps, that Moses and Elijah represent the old that was to find it fulfillment and finish in Calvary.

Hallelujah!

2007/1/29 16:50Profile
dohzman

Re:

I follow traditional lines personally. Moses was a representation of the law, Elijah the prophets/ Jesus was the fulfilling of the law and the prophets. As Moses lead the captives out of captivity and Elijah was taken up, so Christ lead captivity captive and was taken up.
As Moses delivered the law, the written Word, Elijah delivered the Spoken Word, and in Christ we have the whole Word of God living and tabernacling amoung us. As Moses instituted the tabernacle in the wilderness and Elijah the 12 stones of sacrifice, Jesus' came to tabernacle amoung us and to make us tabernacles of sacrifice unto God.
As Moses instituted the priesthood with its offerings and regulations under the Law, and Elijah acting as a priest unto God showed forth a piece offering at the evening hour, so Christ became our faithful High Priest unto God and offered Himself a sacrifice-- piece offering, as it were, unto God at the evening hour.
And more......etc.....This is long enough though.

2007/1/29 17:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Moses was a representation of the law, Elijah the prophets/ Jesus was the fulfilling of the law and the prophets.

It's an interesting line but Elijah was not one of 'the prophets' in the sense of 'the law and the prophets'. That refers to the writing prophets and, in fact, not just to them but to other OT books which were collectively known as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevi'im]The Prophets.[/url]
eg Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings.

2007/1/29 18:33Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Brother Ron, thanks so much for this little gem here...

"The Greek for 'decease' in “who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.” (Luke 9:31 NKJV) is the word 'exodus'. Christ seems to have been talking about 'his exodus' on the mount. His 'exodus' would be the prelude to Covenant, as was Moses' exodus the prelude to his covenant."

Looked it up quickly and found..

Strong's Ref. # 1841

Romanized exodos
Pronounced ex'-od-os

from GSN1537 and GSN3598; an exit, i.e. (figuratively) death:

KJV--decease, departing.

Neat.

2007/1/29 19:18Profile
dohzman

Re:

Your right , I guess I hadn't thought of that aspect of law and the prophets though, not in the sense of writings. I guess in the way I understand it, it' s more like Elijah is respentative of the prophets as a whole or as a ministry body of hebrews. There were I believe several references to non-writing Prophets in the OT?
How do you think the early Hebrew viewed Elijah in contrast to Moses?

2007/1/29 19:59Profile

Re: Mount of Transfiguration questions

I am of the opinion Linn that Moses and Elijah had come to inspect the sacrifice. No mortal on Earth was fit to inspect the lamb of God, as all were born into sin by the first Adam. The second Adam being the LORD from heaven showed Himself in dazzling white without spot or wrinkle as a living sacrifice holy and acceptable unto God.

2007/1/29 22:04
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Another thrilling aspect of...[color=0000ff]“who appeared in glory and spoke of His decease which He was about to accomplish at Jerusalem.” (Luke 9:31 NKJV)[/color]... is the word translated 'accomplish' It is the word 'plEroO' which is really 'fill'. Youngs Translation has[color=0000ff]“who having appeared in glory, spake of his outgoing that he was about to fulfil in Jerusalem,” (Luke 9:31 YNG)[/color]His 'exodus' was not something that would 'happen to him' but something which he himself would achieve. He fulfilled his exodus.

It is one of many parallels with the life of Moses that we see in the life of Christ and adds deeper significance to Moses' own prophecy...[color=0000ff]““The LORD your God will raise up for you [b]a Prophet like me[/b] from your midst, from your brethren. Him you shall hear,” (Deut 18:15 NKJV)[/color]This was a key truth for the early Christians as we can see in...[color=0000ff]“For Moses truly said to the fathers, “The LORD your God will raise up for you a Prophet like me from your brethren. Him you shall hear in all things, whatever He says to you. And it shall be that every soul who will not hear that Prophet shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.’” (Acts 3:22-23 NKJV)[/color]There are many of them. Moses was the target of a murderous attack as a child. Moses was initially rejected by his people. Moses was the mediator of a covenant. Moses offered himself in place of his people and their sin. The Israelites were 'baptised into Moses'. I'm sure there are many more...

2007/1/30 2:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy