SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Sinn Fein Accept North of Ireland Policing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
taco

Sinn Fein Accept North of Ireland Policing

I believe that this is quite a brakthrough. If you feel inclined to pray, please do...

From [url=www.rte.ie]rte (irish public tv)[/url]

Sinn Féin has voted in favour of supporting policing at the party's Ard-Fheis in Dublin.

The motion was carried following a show of cards from the 900 delegates.

The debate, which went on since early this morning, saw very little opposition to the motion supporting policing.
Advertisement

It was passed following a series of amendments, which Sinn Féin said would enhance the proposal.

Following the vote, the party president, Gerry Adams, said the decision created the opportunity to significantly advance the party's primary objective of an united Ireland.

He added: 'The decision we have reached is truly historic...One of the most important in the recent history of our country'.

The Taoiseach welcomed the decision 'to support policing and the rule of law and for party representatives to take their places on the policing oversight institutions'.

He added: 'This is a landmark decision by Sinn Féin and opens the way for inclusive support for policing throughout Northern Ireland.'

Ian Paisley's Democratic Unionists said the time for true and visible Sinn Féin support for policing had arrived.

Mr Paisley said anything less than full implementation of Sinn Féin's committments would render the Ard-Fheis vote valueless.

He added: 'Only with real delivery can the way be cleared for a full return to democracy and a facing up to the everyday needs and requirements of the people of Northern Ireland.'

PSNI Chief Constable Hugh Orde said everybody was entitled to a policing service.

He said: 'Today's decision is welcome. Our view has always been that policing is a public service which every member of the community should be able to access on an equal and equitable basis.'

Northern Secretary Peter Hain said the overwhelming support by republicans for policing and the courts put the north in a place it had never been before.

The Ulster Unionist leader Reg Empey described the Sinn Féin vote as a massive step change in the republican psyche.

He said: 'It is an admission that the violenct cause has been abandoned and that Sinn Féin are prepared to support the force of law and order.'

2007/1/28 16:05Profile
taco

Re: Sinn Fein Accept North of Ireland Policing

Sorry, I should point out that Sinn Fein are the political wing of the IRA. After an horrific thirty years for the North of Ireland there was a cease fire in the 90s since then there has been an uneasy peace. The leading unionists (led by Ian Paisley) are struggling with the concept of power sharing with Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein have been struggling with the concept of accepting a police force that many viewed/view as partisan.

Thank God, things are slowly, slowly becoming normalised.

2007/1/28 16:11Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
the concept of power sharing with Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein have been struggling with the concept of accepting a police force that many viewed/view as partisan.

"My Kingdom is not of this world." (John 18:36)

2007/1/28 16:52Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
First of all, then, I urge that entreaties and prayers, petitions and thanksgivings, be made on behalf of all men, for kings and all who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity. This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth” (1 Timothy 2:1-4).

This particular forum is called current events.
That fact coupled with the above words do indeed make it entirely apprpriate.

Do you pray for those in authority in your country?

What does revival mean? Does it not include the concept of people obeying God? Can it not also include "praise reports" people in my country have been praying for this for decades.

Christs Kingdom is not OF this world. But it does affect it.

2007/1/28 17:11Profile
taco

Re:

PaulWest, I just noticed that youedited your message. Deleting most of the content. It makes my reply seem rather strange.

Why did you do this and not draw attention to the fact?

2007/1/28 17:14Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Sorry, I edited my post while you were still typing your response. When I submitted the edited version, your reply still hadn't registered. I decided to edit out what I said because I feel Christ's words stand alone much better without my biased two cents.

I apologize for the confusion, brother.

The words of Christ still stand however. This nefarious kingdom known as the world is not ours, and it is not His. The police situation in Ireland just seems so esoteric compared to the greater things in the eternal spiritual which we face. The verse you reference in Timothy can be applied to [i]anything[/i] to suit our cause. Pray for the men who hunt whales; pray for the people who are cutting down the trees; pray for the police in Ireland. If you are wanting to pray for conversions and a for a proper foundation of Christianity to be established among these Irish police, this is good. If, however, we are praying to reconcile a secular issue that excludes God from the format (i.e. a municipal matter), I think we have much greater and more pertinent issues to labor over.

Brother Paul

2007/1/28 19:17Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
the verse you reference in Timothy can be applied to anything to suit our cause. Pray for the men who hunt whales; pray for the people who are cutting down the trees;

No they can not. They say pray for kings and all in authority. The reason that we should do so is also listed.

The situation in the North of Ireland has had a great impact on how the gospel has grown and spread there.

Evangelicalism has been associated with one political persuasion. It has been very difficult for Roman Catholics to recieve preaching from a community that they regarded as opressive.

You can dismiss developments there as of no great significance but your opinion does not alter Pauls's request that prayer be made for thode who lead.

If its of such little significance why even get involved in discussing it?

2007/1/28 20:01Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
If its of such little significance why even get involved in discussing it?

To prevent political stuff like this from being propogated on SI.

Quote:
The leading unionists (led by Ian Paisley) are struggling with the concept of power sharing with Sinn Fein and Sinn Fein have been struggling with the concept of accepting a police force that many viewed/view as partisan.

Brother Taco (or Sister), do you think that by tossing "Ian Paisley's" Unionist party into this earthly power struggle, that it automatically makes the issue spiritual? Do you think Jesus went around preaching, "Children, pray for the Jersusalem police squads. Pray that Rabbi so-and-so's party is able to come into power and share in revamping of the entire temple guard structure so we can have peace. Some of My followers indeed have joined this - for the furtherance of the gospel - and we must uphold them."

Friend, my purpose for posting here isn't just to challenge you (for I hate disputing with brothers and sisters), but I really feel compelled to repeat:

What does the incorrigible statement "My Kingdom is not of this world" really mean to you? Where, as unwelcome sojourners in this world, do we draw the line with political stuff like this? What determines our level of contribution to a secular controversy or political campaign? Friend, once you start down this path, you'll soon be consumed with all the vain distractions and godless nonsense of conservative talk radio and with any whim or whisper that filters down through CNN. You can find a good company with my brother, a Buddhist, who would be delighted to talk about the police situation in Ireland with you, and not only that, but express the utmost passion and vituperation in establishing his opinion.

But we should be concerned about one thing and one thing only: Knowing God more intimately in the fellowship of His sufferings, in persuing righteousness, humility and Christ-honoring wisdom and above all, living a holy life to His glory with all charity. I find this is very hard to do when my soul is weighed down by the transient matters of this world's political empires.

Of course, you are welcome to disagree with me - and I believe you do. That's okay! We can still fellowship and lift up Jesus Christ and pray for brokeness. My prayer is that the Lord bless you with peace and grace and give us all on SermonIndex a fuller knowledge of His ways,

Brother Paul

2007/1/29 9:55Profile
taco

Re:

Quote:
To prevent political stuff like this from being propogated on SI.

I am not commenting on it in a poitical sense. It is an answer to prayer. That is spiritual.

Quote:
Brother Taco (or Sister), do you think that by tossing "Ian Paisley's" Unionist party into this earthly power struggle, that it automatically makes the issue spiritual?

No. I believe that they have been part of the problem. the bible says pray.pray, not concern yourselves over which side is right or wrong. If it comes down to it I am actualey a nationalist -ie politicaly I would be opposed to Big Ian (whilst not supporting the violence of extreme nationalism).

But this isn't about politics-its about prayer.

Quote:
Do you think Jesus went around preaching, "Children, pray for the Jersusalem police squads.

there is no record of who precisley he told his disciples to pray for so I will be silent.

However, one of his disciples (Paul) requested that prayer be made for governments (The AOG agree with this by the way- you are a member are you not?)

I am not praying that this party or that party get into power. I am praying for peace and tranquility on this Island.

I can almost hear you: "secular peace is not the peace of God". No, it's not (not in the deepest sense anyway) But it is a blessing of God (again read Paul's prayer request).

Quote:
What does the incorrigible statement "My Kingdom is not of this world" really mean to you?

That's a whole thread in itself. But it doesn't mean:

-"don't pray for those in earthly authority" (beacuse that would contradict other scripture)

-"my kingdom has no influence on this planet"
That would contradict the whole bible

I'll take it at face value-it means his kingdom is not OF this world. It doesn't originate here, it operates on different principles than the worldly kingdoms operate.

So-If I desire to affect the situation in my country I will (as a citizen of the heavenly kingdom) best achieve this, not by earthly means but by spiritual means. Which brings me back to my first post :-? I wil PRAY.

Do you honestly not believe in praying for those in authority?

2007/1/29 13:38Profile

taco

that is REALLY blessed news from Northern Ireland.

I was just thinking/praying about that issue the other day, actually after having watched one of my favorite movie's "The Boxer".

Praise God, blessed are the peacemakers.neil

2007/1/29 16:16

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy