SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Into the heart of Adam Clarke

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Into the heart of Adam Clarke

While certainly appreciative of Adam Clarke's commentary in so many matters of the faith have recently found in reading about his life a great deal more. Much of similarity and much of just a great hunger and determination of heart and soul and marrow to lay hold of God in often gut wrenching manner. Something of a [i]must[/i] have that just speaks volumes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It pleased God at this time to permit Satan to sift him as wheat. It was a strong article in his creed that the Passion and Death of Christ were held out through the whole of the New Testament as sacrificial and expiatory; and that His Death was a sufficient ransom, sacrifice, and atonement for the sin of the world: for He, by the grace of God, had tasted death for every man. This doctrine was the only basis of his hope and yet he had not that faith by which he could lay hold on the merit of that Sacrifice for his personal salvation. Were this foundation to be destroyed, what could he do, or where flee for refuge? How it was shaken in his mind I am about to relate.

He had long been intimate in the house of a very respectable family in the neighborhood. He was there as their own child: for him they had all a very strong affection, and he felt for them in return, both affection and reverence. One evening the conversation in the family turned on the Doctrine of the Atonement; and some observations then made filled his soul with doubts and fears. It was, in short, stated one present, that, “the Methodists were guilty of idolatry, for they gave that worship to Jesus Christ that belonged to the Father only.” He came home full of confusion: “What have I been doing Have I been adding idolatry to all the rest of my transgressions? Have I had two Gods instead of one?” He went into the boviere, (shippon) the first place he came to, and kneeled down among the cattle, and began to ask pardon of God, fearing that he had given that glory to another, which was due to Him alone. He was not satisfied, however, with this; he thought he should go farther, and leave the name of Christ out of all his prayers; this proceeded so far that he did not like to converse about Him. What he had lately heard, represented Him to his mind as an usurper; and at last he could not bear to see His name in any religious book. Darkness now entered into his mind, his spiritual fervor gradually diminished, ‘till it was at last entirely gone. He prayed, but it was a form: he read, but it was without unction. He felt this lamentable change, and began earnestly to inquire whence it had arisen? Importunate prayer, his former refuge, was suggested to his mind, as the only help; for he had none to whom he could open his heart. That he might not be perceived by any of the family, he went once more among the cattle, a place to which he had often resorted, and fell down before his Maker, and prayed to this effect, — “O Lord God Almighty, look with pity on the state of my soul! I am sinful, ignorant, and confused. I know not what to say, or what to believe.

If I be in an error, O Lord God, lead me into thy truth! Thou knowest I would not deceive myself: Thou knowest I esteem thy approbation beyond life itself. O, my God, teach me what is right! if I be in an error, O show it to me, and deliver me from it! O deliver me from it, and teach me Thy truth! O God hear, and have mercy upon me, — for the sake of JESUS CHRIST!” These last words had no sooner dropped from his lips, than he started as if alarmed at himself. “What! have I been again praying in the name of Jesus? was this right?” Immediately his soul was filled with light, the name of Jesus was like the most odoriferous ointment poured out, he could clasp it to his heart, and say, “Yes, my only Lord and Saviour, thou hast died for me, — by Thee alone I can come unto God, — there is no other Name given from heaven among men by which we can be saved!

Through the merit of thy Blood, I will take confidence, and approach unto God! He now felt that he was delivered from those depths of Satan, by which his soul was nearly engulfed.

2007/1/28 12:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Into the heart of Adam Clarke

In this state of mind, he thought it right to receive for the first time, the Sacrament of the LORD’ S SUPPER. This design he communicated to Mr. Barber, who encouraged him in it; but, as the Rubric requires, that those who intend to receive the Holy Sacrament, shall signify their intentions some time before, to the minister; he purposed to wait on Mr. Smith, the Rector, and signify his wish, and ask his permission. He accordingly went, and Mr. S. received him with great affection and tenderness. He was much affected in witnessing so strong a desire in so young a person; and said, “I should be glad, Master Clarke, if you would go to the Rev. Mr. Younge, of Coleraine, he is a very wise and good man, and will examine you, and give you the best advice; and if you will go now, I will write a note by you to Mr. Young.” Adam agreed, and went. Mr. Younge also behaved towards him with much tenderness and affability, examined him out of the Catechism, and particularly explained the last answer to him, relative to the duty of them who come to the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper: viz. “To examine themselves whether they repent them truly of their former sins, — whether they steadfastly purpose to lead a new life, — have a lively faith in God’s mercy, through Christ, with a thankful remembrance of his Death; and be in charity with all men:” and observed, “It is not your being able to say this by heart, that is the qualification here required; but your heart must be impressed with, and feel all these things.” The answers of Adam seemed to be satisfactory to Mr. Younge, for he wrote a note back to Mr. Smith, which when he read, he seemed quite rejoiced, and said, “Mr. Y. tells me that I may safely admit you to the Lord’s table.”

As he was now about to perform one of the most solemn acts of his life, and was greatly afraid of communicating unworthily, and so eating and drinking his own damnation, (as it is unhappily expressed, Corinthians 11:29, instead of condemnation) he purposed to go through the Week’s Preparation; a book which, however well intended has been the means of misleading many by causing them to trust in the punctual performance of the duties therein required, for a short time before that sacred ordinance, without that change of heart and life so essentially necessary to the Christian character. Adam, however, used it with earnest and deep concern; and as, in the course of that week, he was obliged to go a short journey on his father’s business, which took up the whole day (Thursday) and he could not go through the prescribed prayers and meditations; for fear of coming short, he did double work on Friday, and brought the two days into one! If this were mistaken piety, it was at least sincere.

On the morning of Easter Sunday, the day appointed for the Sacrament, he repaired to the church; and after sermon went with his father to the Communion Table. When Mr. Smith, came to him with the sacred bread, he was much affected, and when he had said, “The body of our Lord Jesus Christ which was given for thee,” he was quite overcome; he sobbed, the tears gushed from his eyes, and he could not for some seconds proceed to the end of the sentence. Here was one proof of a godly pastor; he felt especially for the young of his flock, and was ready to carry the lambs in his bosom. In this holy ordinance Adam’s mind was deeply impressed with the necessity of giving himself wholly up to the service of God; and he considered the act of communicating, as one by which he had most solemnly and publicly bound himself to be all that Christianity requires in her votaries, through His especial assistance, by whom that Christianity came. But he did not receive it as a seal of the pardon of his sins; or as a pledge of the kingdom of heaven. Nothing could satisfy him, but a pardon felt in his heart, and registered in his conscience by the light and power of the Holy Spirit; and he well knew, that an entry into the kingdom of glory, depended on his living to God in this world, regaining the divine image, and dying with Christ in him the hope of glory. He received it therefore as a memorial of the Sacrifice of Christ, by which pardon, holiness, and heaven, were purchased for mankind.

It would be well if all communicants, and all pastors, treated this most sacred ordinance as young Clarke and his minister did. On both sides it was supposed, and properly, that too much caution could not be used.

Adam on his part attended conscientiously to the rubric, and consulted his minister: the minister on is part, proceeded with a godly caution, lest he should distribute improperly those sacred elements. Is not the same caution still necessary! but is it in general observed? Why is not this ordinance which represents the agony and bloody sweat, the cross and passion, the precious death and burial, and in a word, the redemption of a lost world, by the sacrificial offering of the Lord Jesus, more devoutly and frequently impressed on the minds of young hearers, with the solemnity of that obligation? Let proper warning be given, and strong exhortation to due preparation; for surely it is as possible now to eat and drink our own condemnation in England, as it was to the Greek converts, eighteen hundred years ago in Corinth.

Though often encouraged, so that he “Seemed to sit with cherubs bright, Some moments on a throne of love,” he had not yet found that peace and assurance of which he was in pursuit: and it may seem strange, that one who was following God so sincerely, should have been so long without that powerful consolation of religion.

But God is Sovereign of his own ways; and he gives and withholds according to his godly wisdom. Adam was ever ready to vindicate the ways of God in this respect. “It was necessary,” said he “that I should have hard travail. God was preparing me for an important work. I must, emphatically, sell all to get the pearl of great price. If I had lightly come by the consolations of the Gospel, I might have let them go as lightly. It was good that I bore the yoke in my youth. The experience that I learned in my long tribulation, was none of the least of my qualifications as a minister of the Gospel.”

He was now come to that point, beyond which God did not think proper any longer to delay the manifestation of Himself to the soul of his ardent follower: and indeed such were his concern and distress, that had it been longer deferred, the spirit that God had made, would have failed before him.

2007/1/29 7:30Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

One morning, in great distress of soul, he went out to his work in the field: he began but could not proceed, so great was his spiritual anguish. He fell down on his knees on the earth, and prayed, but seemed to be without power or faith. He arose, endeavored to work, but could not: even his physical strength appeared to have departed from him. He again endeavored to pray, but the gate of heaven seemed as if barred against him.

His faith in the Atonement, so far as it concerned himself, was almost entirely gone; he could not believe that Jesus had died for HIM; the thickest darkness seemed to gather round, and settle on his soul. He fell flat on his face on the earth, and endeavored to pray but still there was no answer: he arose, but he was so weak ,that he could scarcely stand. His agonies were indescribable; he seemed to be for ever separated from God and the glory of His power. Death, in any form, he could have preferred to his present feelings, if that death could have put an end to them. No fear of h ell produced these terrible conflicts. He had not God’s approbation; he had not God’s image. He felt that without a sense of his favor, he could not live. Where to go, what to say, and what to do, he found not; even the words of prayer at last failed; he could neither plead nor wrestle with God.

O, Reader, lay these things to heart. Here was a lad that had never been a profligate, had been brought up in the fear of God, and who, for a considerable time had been earnestly seeking His peace, apparently cut off from life and hope did not arise from any natural infirmity of his own mind: — none who knew him, in any period of his life, could suspect this: — it was a sense of the displeasure of a holy God, from having sinned against him; and yet his sins were those of a little boy, which most would be disposed to pass by, for he was not of an age to be guilty of flagrant crimes; and yet how sorely did he suffer, in seeking to be born again; to have his conscience purged from dead works, and to have his nature renewed! — He was then being prepared for that work to which he was afterwards to be called; the struggle was great, that he himself might not easily turn again to folly, and thus bring condemnation on himself, and a reproach upon God’s cause; and it was, on all probability, necessary that he should experience this deep anguish, that feeling the bitterness of sin, he might warn others more earnestly; and knowing the throes and travail of a sinner’s soul, he might speak assuredly to the most despairing, of the power of Christ’s Sacrifice, and of the indwelling consolations of the Spirit of God. — God appeared to have “turned aside his ways, and pulled him to pieces; He had bent his bow, and made him a mark for His arrows: He was filled with bitterness, and made drunken as with wormwood: — his soul was removed far from peace, and he forgat prosperity.” Yet even here though his stroke was heavier than his groaning, he could say, “It is of the Lord’s mercies that I am not consumed.” — Lamentations 3:11-22. See him in his agony upon the bare ground, almost petrified with anguish, and dumb with grief! Reader, hast thou sinned? Hast thou repented? Hast thou peace with thy God, or art thou still in the gall of bitterness, and bond of iniquity? These are solemn, yea, awful questions. May God enable thee to answer them to the safety of thy soul!

But we must return to him whom we have left — in agonies indescribable.

It is said, the time of man’s extremity is the time of God’s opportunity.

He now felt strongly in his soul, “Pray to Christ;” — another word for, “Come to the Holiest through the Blood of Jesus.” He looked up confidently to the Saviour of sinners, his agony subsided, his soul became calm. A glow of happiness seemed to thrill through his whole frame, all guilt and condemnation were gone. He examined his conscience, and found it no longer a register of sins against God. He looked to heaven, and all was sunshine; he searched for his distress, but could not find it. He felt indescribably happy, but could not tell the cause; — a change had taken place within him, of a nature wholly unknown before, and for which he had no name. He sat down upon the ridge where he had been working, full of ineffable delight. He praised God, and he could not describe for what, — for he could give no name to his work. His heart was light, his physical strength returned, and he could bound like a roe. He felt a sudden transition from darkness to light — from guilt and oppressive fear, to confidence and peace. He could now draw nigh to God with more confidence than he ever could to his earthly father: — he had freedom of access, and he had freedom of speech. He was like a person who had got into a new world although every object was strange, yet each was pleasing; and now he could magnify God for his creation, a thing he never could do before: O what a change was here! and yet, lest he should be overwhelmed with it, its name and its nature were in a great measure hidden from his eyes. Shortly after, his friend Mr. Barber came to his father’s house: when he departed, Adam accompanied him a little on the way. When they came in sight of the field that had witnessed the agonies of his heart and the breaking of his chains, he told Mr. B. what had taken place. The man of God took off his hat, and with tears flowing down his cheeks, gave thanks unto God. “O Adam” said he, “I rejoice in this; I have been daily in expectation that God would shine upon your soul, and bless you with the adoption of his children.” Adam stared at him, and said within himself, “O, he thinks surely that I am justified, that God has forgiven me my sins, that I am now his child. O, blessed be God, I believe, I feel I am justified, through the Redemption that is in Jesus.” Now he clearly saw what God had done; and although he had felt the blessing before, and was happy in the possession of it, it was only now that he could call it by its name.

2007/1/29 7:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Into the heart of Adam Clarke

Now, he saw and felt, that “being justified by faith, he had peace with God, through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom he had received the atonement.”

He continued in peace and happiness all the week: the next Lord’s day there was a love-feast in Coleraine; — he went to it, and during the first prayer, kneeled in a comer with his face to the wall. While praying, the Lord Jesus seemed to appear to the eyes of his mind, as he is described, Revelation 1:13,14. clothed with a garment down to his feet, and girt about the breasts with a golden girdle: his head and his hair white as snow, and his eyes like a flame of fire. And though in strong prayer before, he suddenly stopped and said, though not perhaps in a voice to be heard by those who were by him, — “Come nearer, Oh, Lord Jesus, that I may see thee more distinctly.” Immediately he felt as if God had shone on the work he had wrought, and called it by its own name; he fully and clearly knew that he was a child of God; the Spirit of God bore this witness in his conscience, and he could no more have doubted of it, than he could have doubted of the reality of his existence, or the identity of his person. — [i]“Meridian evidence put doubt to flight?”[/i] In ordinary minds, or those naturally feeble, all this might pass for delusion; his penitential fears and distresses might appear as the effects of a gloomy superstition; and his subsequent peace and happiness, and the sudden nature of his inward change, as the consequences of the workings of a strong imagination, apt, under religious impressions, to degenerate into enthusiasm.

The Reader may rest assured that no one was more jealous on these points than the person in question. He was accustomed to examine everything to the bottom; and, as it ever was a maxim with him, that Revelation and reason went hand in hand; — that neither contained any thing contrary to the other; — so he sought in each, for proofs of those things contained in its fellow. He was ever afraid of being deceived, and that led him scrupulously to examine every thing that professed to come from God. He believed nothing in salvation on the mere assertion of any man: nor did he yield consent at any time, till Revelation and its handmaid reason, had said, these things are true.

2007/1/29 9:51Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Had to print this article out to read it. When they are long, I find it better to do that and take it in slowly, then I can give it to someone else too, especially if they don't have a computer.

Still, to the article in question.

It just proves that so many that respond to so called 'altar calls', simply are not saved.

Why do we kid people that they are saved, or don't we know any better?

Also, it shows a heart for God that is mostly missing in this day and age, and certain answered prayer for the minister who prayed for Adam Clarke.

Would to God we would get back to the prayer closet. God help us.

God bless.

2007/1/29 11:48Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hi enid,

Quote:
When they are long, I find it better to do that and take it in slowly

That is sweet music to the ears ... slowly.

Need to back track later and link to where this is all derived. It is some excerpts from a biography that I found just tremendous having been somewhat accustomed to his commentary. Interesting that sometimes the mind can overshot the whole of academic learnings, for instance in commentaries like Adam Clarke has written, without knowing anything of their life, life behind the work.

Already to just glean a few things, his earnestness and eagerness to really get down to the root of the matter. Really liked this;

[i]The Reader may rest assured that no one was more jealous on these points than the person in question. He was accustomed to examine everything to the bottom; and, as it ever was a maxim with him, that Revelation and reason went hand in hand; — that neither contained any thing contrary to the other; — so he sought in each, for proofs of those things contained in its fellow. He was ever afraid of being deceived, and that led him scrupulously to examine every thing that professed to come from God. He believed nothing in salvation on the mere assertion of any man: nor did he yield consent at any time, till Revelation and its handmaid reason, had said, these things are true.[/i]

2007/1/29 15:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

LIFE SKETCH OF DR. ADAM CLARKE

Adam Clarke is known mostly by his great set of Commentaries on the
Bible, the writing of which occupied twenty-seven years of close, hard
work But few know the fact that he was one of the early flaming
Methodist preachers of Wesley’s day, and had a prominent part in that
great revival.

He was not a precocious child. At school he was very dull, and
proverbially at the foot of his class, until past eight years of age. Some
scornful expression about his dumbness stung his pride into effort, his
mind awakened, he applied himself to study, and the result was amazing.
He mastered twenty languages. and made research in almost every branch
of learning. He became proficient in Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Samaritan,
Chaldee and Syriac versions of the Scripture, and learned in all the oriental
languages and most of the languages of Europe.

His curiosity led him to attend Methodist meetings, and, like many others,
he remained to pray. Agony of conviction was followed by sky-blue
conversion. Soon he was exhorting others, and seeing them become lowly
Christians. One day Wesley said to him, “Do you wish to devote yourself
entirely to the work of God?” “Sir, I wish to be and to do whatever God
pleases.” “I think you had better go out into the work at large,” said
Wesley. Then laying his fatherly hands upon the young man, he prayed a
benediction upon him, and sent him to Bradford circuit. He had twentythree
appointments and did most of his traveling on foot, carrying most of
his belongings on his back.

In eleven months he preached 450 times.

Like Abraham of old, he heard the voice of God bidding him to get out
from his native land, Ireland, and follow whither the Lord should lead him.
This he did, though stoutly opposed by his Presbyterian mother and
Episcopalian father. He resolved, “I am determined by the grace of God to
conquer or die!” Over his mantel he placed the motto: “Stand thou as the
beaten anvil to the stroke.” Indomitable energy carried his decisions
through. He carefully husbanded his time. While others slept or trifled, he
studied, prayed and worked. This was the great secret of his Herculean
accomplishments. To a youth he wrote, “The grand secret is to save time.
Spend none needlessly. Keep from all unnecessary company. Never be
without a praying heart, and have as often as possible a book in your
hand.”

The great, the wise, the good, sought his company. But he loved the
society of humble people, and sought not the praise of men. Said he,
“Learning I love; learned men I prize; with the company of the great and
good I am delighted. But infinitely above all these, and all other
enjoyments, I glory in Christ in me, living and reigning and fitting me for
His heaven.”

He was always a clear teacher of holiness. As to his own experience of
entire sanctification, he said: “I regarded nothing, not even life itself, in
comparison with having my heart cleansed from all sin; and began to seek
it with full purpose of heart. Soon after this, while earnestly wrestling
with the Lord in prayer, and endeavoring self-desperately to believe, I
found a change wrought in my soul, which I have endeavored through grace
to maintain amid the grievous temptations and accusations of the subtle
foe.”

His powerful treatise of “Purity of Heart” shows Christians their call and
privilege of being filled with the Spirit. “It would be indeed dishonorable
to that grace, and the infinite merit of Him who procured it, to suppose,
much less to assert, that sin had made wounds which grace would not heal.
Of such a triumph Satan shall ever be deprived.”

“As there is no end to the merits of Christ incarnate and crucified; no
bounds to the mercy and love of God; no let or hindrance to the almighty
energy and sanctifying influence of the Holy Spirit; no limits to the
improvability or the human soul, so there can be no bounds to the saving
influence which God will dispense to the heart of every true believer. We
may ask and receive, and our joy shall be full! Well may we bless and
praise God, who has called us into such a state of salvation.”

He was so youthful when he went to preach his first sermon that a man,
eyeing him from head to foot, asked. “Are you the preacher?” “Yes, I am
sent by Mr. Bredin.” “You are a young one to unravel the Word.” But to
their astonishment the young one did unravel the Word with blessed
success. Ere long crowds gathered to see him, and many inquired what
they must do to be saved.

He and another went as missionaries for a period to the Norman Isles,
where they suffered some sharp persecution at first, but later saw good
success.

He married Miss Cook, well qualified to be the wife of such a man. Few
marriages are so felicitous.

His godly father, before he died, wrote on a sheet of paper his last
benediction: “May the blessing of God, and a dying father’s blessing, ever
be upon all my children. I die full of hope, and happy. John Clarke.”
Whenever Adam Clarke passed the cemetery where his father lay buried,
he uncovered his head, as a mark of respect to his worthy father’s
memory, while he rode or walked by.

His pen was always busy, and his writings scholarly, spiritual and always
useful. He began his greatest work, the Commentaries, May 1, 1798, and
finished it March 28, 1825, on his knees. It was a moment of great joy to
him, and he fittingly returned thanks to his Heavenly Father for enabling
him to finish the task.

He was a truly good man. In private life he was a devoted husband and an
affectionate father. He had twelve children. He was greatly beloved by his
brethren in the ministry, and after Mr. Wesley’s death they elected him
president three times. So reluctant was he to accept the responsibility that
the first time his brethren had to carry him bodily and place him in the
chair: but once there, he performed his duties with grace and success.

Seven weeks before his death he closed a short journal of his last visit to
Ireland thus:

“I feel a simple heart: the prayers of my childhood are yet precious
to me, and the simple hymns I sang when a child, I sing now with
unction and delight. Philippians 1:21. May I live to Thee, die in
Thee, and be with Thee to all eternity. Amen. — Adam Clarke.”

In the year 1832 the cholera was prevalent in England, and carried off
many by sudden death. The disease, attacked Mr. Clarke while away from
home. His wife and friends reached him in time to see the end of the good
man’s useful career. The great scholar, the eloquent preacher and the
learned commentator went to his reward at about the age of seventy years.

MEN AND WOMEN OF DEEP PIETY
BY
MRS. CLARA MCLEISTER
EDITED AND PUBLISHED BY
REV. E. E. SHELHAMER
GOD’S BIBLE SCHOOL, AND REVIVALIST Ringgold, Young and
Channing Streets Cincinnati, Ohio

2007/2/4 9:17Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Thank you for this, Mike. Just what I need to read.

Brother Paul

2007/2/4 9:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy