SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Hate to bring this up but...

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DIEDTOSELF

Minnesota

Hate to bring this up but...

There is a so called "christian" club in dowtown Mpls called 3 degrees. There is a Disciple concert there on feb. 3rd. This is a "christian" rock band. Now my convictions are against the such. My cousin and her husband are coming up to visit on that day and want to see this band perform plus do some other worldly things before hand. My wife and I invited them up to fellowship to begin with. How do I; going about it in Christs love tell them His standpoint
on such issues. They even plan on bringing there newborn and 2 year old to the show! Now I can't stand up and say like Leonard "Entertainment is the devils substitute for joy" or should I?

In desperate need of true fellowship,

Craig

2007/1/27 11:20Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Hate to bring this up but...

Hi Craig,

I will be praying for you. This entertainment issue is a really tough one in the church. Every Sunday I get filled in on the latest movie, video game, sports scores by the teenage guys and it grieves my heart not to be talking about spiritual things. It is encouraging then to come and read what everyone is learning on SI.

May Christ give you strength to stand firm in Him.

Jordan

2007/1/27 11:28Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Brother if you get the chance, listen to this message by Keith Daniel called "Finished With The World" and listen to how Will McFarlane deals with Keith's brother.
[url=http://64.34.176.235/sermons/SID1536.mp3]Finished With The World[/url]

2007/1/27 12:04Profile
vico

Re:

Quote:

roaringlamb wrote:
Brother if you get the chance, listen to this message by Keith Daniel called "Finished With The World" and listen to how Will McFarlane deals with Keith's brother.
[url=http://64.34.176.235/sermons/SID1536.mp3]Finished With The World[/url]

amen. that sermon is definitely a good one. *changed my life anyways...*

2007/1/27 14:24Profile
DIEDTOSELF

Minnesota

Re:

I've had the oppurtunity to see keith preach what a blessing. That sermon you mentioned is excellent. Keith is a true messenger of Gods Word!! Thank you

Craig

2007/1/27 14:41Profile

Quote:

DIEDTOSELF wrote:
There is a so called "christian" club in dowtown Mpls called 3 degrees. There is a Disciple concert there on feb. 3rd. This is a "christian" rock band. Now my convictions are against the such. My cousin and her husband are coming up to visit on that day and want to see this band perform plus do some other worldly things before hand. My wife and I invited them up to fellowship to begin with. How do I; going about it in Christs love tell them His standpoint
on such issues. They even plan on bringing there newborn and 2 year old to the show! Now I can't stand up and say like Leonard "Entertainment is the devils substitute for joy" or should I?

In desperate need of true fellowship,

Craig

Hi Craig.

It's sometimes a very difficult thing isn't it - to be "in the world but not of the world". Its not wrong to take pleasure in things of this life, including music, as long as they don't become idols, but...

Have you actually heard this group perform? I think there are some forms of Christian "rock music" that are probably harmless, but its a very fine line. The spirit rather than the style of the music is the main thing, I believe. "New Age" music is very different from Rock, but has a horrible spirit. Of the classics so does Wagner...

I'm not "into" music paticularly, but find certain "worldly" music bearable, or even pleasant, while other songs or music make me stop my ears and get out of there as quick as possible! This is also true of "Christian Rock" - the reaction is instant.

Don't know if that helps...

In Him

Jeannette

2007/1/27 16:01
ilive4only1

Texas

I've just seen this discussion and thought I would throw my opinion in.

The church I attend has a youth 'rock' band that performs on occasion. They also have a 'once a month' Christian concert featuring different Christian rock bands from around the area. This attracts the young people and give them something different to do on a Saturday night. Although I have never attended, I have heard our band a few times.

Although my opinion is "Why do Christians need a rock band?," I believe that you should pray about allowing the Lord to use this concert as a tool to shed more light on how like the world the church has become. This could be a starting point.

I know the guy who is over the band at the church I attend, and he really has a passion for the Lord. He has written many songs about worship that the Lord has given him during his secret time in prayer with Him.

You will still get the time to fellowship, the band may be really good and you never know what or how the Lord could use this.

I am always amazed at how God can use unusual situations to show forth His glory.

Please let me know how everything works out.

2007/1/27 23:29Profile

I understand that the old Scottish Calvanists, (and maybe the present "wee Frees" as they are called) disapproved of singing anything but Psalms. Hymns - ancient or modern - were a no-no. Yet the Psalms themselves were once "Top of the Pops" - David was a bit of a pop star himself! And our old hymns and choruses were modern once; some have a lively dance beat that set one's toes a-tapping. There are some wonderful modern hymns too.

As I said, its a matter for discerning the spirit of the music, not only the words, or whether it attracts young people. We don't have to be "old-fashioned fuddy-duddys to be able to say that certain music is evil.

I'm convinced that much modern Rock music, (especially of the "heavy metal" kind) including "Christian" rock, is literally demonic. There's the (supposedly true) story of some Christian young people who were on a mission (to Africa?). They were playing some "Christian Rock" music when the local witchdoctor passed by.

He became annoyed and confronted them, complaining that it was his business summoning the spirits, not theirs, so why were they playing that music?

A musician once told me that one of the characteristics of this kind of music was something to do with the emphasis being on the second beat of the bar, rather than the first; though not being musical I'm not quite sure what that means in practice.

Don't know if any of this helps, but folks are praying...

Jeannette

2007/1/28 14:19

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy