SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus' Serious Sense of Humor

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Jesus' Serious Sense of Humor

I'm flipping through Matthew to find some humorous scripture in response to the "Is Laughter A Sin?" thread, and here's what I've discovered.

"And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of the blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment: for she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I may be whole. But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole..." (MATT 9:20-22)

This story always brings a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. She knew she was unworthy of His glory, tried to sneak and steal some of our LORD's virtue but he smiled, turned around, looked down with tears of compassion in His eyes, and made her whole.

"And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep. And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish. And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!" (MATT 8:24-27)

I imagine the LORD peeking out under his eyelids during his sleep and knowing in a way only He could know that He and His companions would make it to the other side. I imagine Him laid back, hands behind His perfect head, perhaps one leg bent over the other, smiling as He communed with Abraham and the angels, testing the disciples' reactions. I imagine the disappointment He expressed at their unbelief... and the open-mouthed awe of the sailors.

"And as they departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?" (MATT 11:4)

"Ye blind guides, which strain at a knat and swallow a camel." (MATT 23:24)

This one always makes me chuckle... and then makes me sober since I often worry about triviality and have fallen for some big lies in my day.

2007/1/26 20:48

Re: Jesus' Serious Sense of Humor

"And, behold, a woman, which was diseased with an issue of the blood twelve years, came behind him, and touched the hem of his garment: for she said within herself, If I may but touch his garment, I may be whole. But Jesus turned him about, and when he saw her, he said, Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole..." (MATT 9:20-22)

I'm so stupefied by this story. We try to steal His glory and He turns around, looks down at our poor souls, smiles and He gives it to us.

I imagine if we asked for His coat, He'd give us His cloak as well.

What a man! What a God!!!! Hallelujah!!!

2007/1/26 20:59
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I love the book of Isaiah. Consider this: He will surely violently turn, and toss thee like a ball into a large,country..Isa. 22:18. So God plays ball, right?

Or how about Job 19:20: "My bone cleaveth to my skin and to my flesh, and I am escaped with the skin of my teeth." I love this word picture: skin of my teeth! I can just imagine the emotion entwined in this statement: one of truth and humor.

ginnyrose

2007/1/26 21:31Profile

Re:

Apparently there are a lot more humerous things in Scripture than most of us, with little understanding of that language, day and culture, can really appreciate. Plays on words and irony especially.

In the parable of the Friend at Midnight for example: Apparently it was utterly unthinkable in that culture - whatever the hour - for anyone to refuse help his neighbour with hospitality; a disgrace on the whole community. Maybe Jesus put on a querulous complaining voice when acting the unco-operative friend. "Don't bother me now...Nope, I'm not getting up! Do you know what time it is!?".

To imagine him actually refusing would no doubt have produced a roar of incredulous laughter from the listeners - while effectively getting the point across.

In the OT, I like the part where Elijah mocks the prophets of Baal. Apparently the true meaning of perhaps Baal is "pursuing" is that he's had to have a "bathroom break"!

And someone pointed out how funny the beginning of Matthew 3 is:
"Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, his brother Philip tetrarch of Iturea and the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias tetrarch of Abilene, 2 while Annas and Caiaphas were high priests, the word of God came to John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness."

A list of all these secular and spiritual VIP's, and then "The Word of the Lord came to"...JOHN!

2007/1/27 18:33

Re:

Quote:
A list of all these secular and spiritual VIP's, and then "The Word of the Lord came to"...JOHN!

Hahahahahaaaaaa!!!!! That LAST one is soooo good!!!

2007/1/27 20:58

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy