Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Teaching without Preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Teaching without Preaching

Greetings all...

I write this post with a heavy heart. Most of you know that I am an English teacher in South Korea. Presently, I am at a college, which offers various English camps and workshops. My students range from eight years (camp and after school programs) to sixty years old (college, government, and regular folks for conversation).

About half of the time I teach from a book, but the other half is free talking and topic teaching. Most of the time, actually, all of the time, I state that I am a Christian and try to open the topic to discussion. Korea has a growing Christian population, but a lot of people are 'so-called' buddists (I say 'so-called' mainly because they are only by name, not practice.) or atheists.

This has led me to learn a lot of things about them and myself. Sometimes I am asked questions, while other times I see that they are interested, but feel overwhelmed by family, culture, and tradition, so they are afraid to experience something different. I like my job, but each day I realize this will not be my job forever, especially since I am awaiting conformation to a masters of divinty program in Canada.

Today, I was approached by my director (boss), who said that I should not talk about my faith so much in class. The thing is, he did not tell me not to, because he and I have been talking about faith more and more, since he has had many problems in his life. He knows how I live and at times he shows interest to learn more. He was passing along a concern of a former student(s?), not something he felt.

At first, I was taken back, but then smiled, because I knew I would face this situation eventually. It made me more confident about my belief and it also made me want to spread the Good News more. I am the only Christian at my college, even among the other foreigners.

They have been distancing themselves from me as of late, because they all go out drinking together and know I have no interest. I see that they are not even friends with each other, so it is almost funny to see them avoid me.

I know Jesus says that people will leave us, but like I said, it is hard on the heart sometimes. I will continue to teach and preach. If I loose my job because of it, I will get another one.

Jesus, break me into nothing and rebuid me into something.

God Bless,
BrianMira 8-)

2007/1/26 2:01

Re: Teaching without Preaching

Quote:
They have been distancing themselves from me as of late, because they all go out drinking together and know I have no interest. I see that they are not even friends with each other, so it is almost funny to see them avoid me.

It can be disheartening in Korea to be a non-drinker... since there seems to be a hof on every corner (though I enjoyed the occassional shot of soju here and there). What makes it worse is if you have no friends of like mind to go Barbecuing with... there's no such thing as barbecue or samgyopsal for the single waygook saram - so you're stuck with pibimbap, bulgogi doc-bap, or a few plates of dokbogi from the nice lady vendor on the street... and maybe a good game of Starcraft at the local PC baang before bed.

Chin up Brother! Our prayers are with you. And you always make my night (day where you are) when you post here - I get to practice my Korean!!!

At times, I want to go back sooooo bad!!!

Anyung Kysayo!!!

-Corey

2007/1/26 4:32

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy