Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Jesus Camp Documentary

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Jesus Camp Documentary

I heard about this documentary today. It kind of freaks me out... I got bad vibes about it, but that doesn't mean anything.
Anyone have any insight... anyone seen this film? Is it God-glorifying?
Found a bit on it at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Camp]wikipedia[/url].
richie

2007/1/25 2:44Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Jesus Camp Documentary

I have heard Becky Fischer teach about ministry to children and she is very passionate about how children can know Jesus too and walk in the gifts of the Spirit. She didn't seem way out there to me..but as a disclaimer, I am Penecostal...
I don't know much about the movie, but if you want to hear from the ministry the movie was made about here are some of Becky Fischer's comments about the film.

Becky Fischer Comments on Jesus Camp

Do you feel this film is an accurate representation of your ministry?

I have had many long conversations with the filmmakers and I understand how they came to focus on the political aspect of what they felt we were doing. But as you will read in other comments I made, we did not view what we were doing as political, until we saw it through their secular eyes. I don't need to repeat it here.

So the question remains--is this film the sum total of our focus and who we are? Is this a totally accurate representation of our ministry? Absolutely not! It is merely a snapshot out of an entire photo album of how we operate, what we teach, and the impact we have been honored to have on the lives of families and children.

In all fairness to the filmmakers, they have only 84 minutes to tell a story. They can't possibly explain to the world everything about us in that time frame and still make a movie the whole world would want to see. We ourselves have almost 300 pages on our website of reports and articles to try to explain our vision through what we do. No one yet has ever studied it all, because there is just too much
information.

So while I do not believe it is a complete and totally accurate picture, I still believe there is enough there to get the basics across about our ministry. Because of the misunderstandings that are coming out of the film, it has opened unbelievable doors of opportunity for me to be interviewed on nationally syndicated radio shows, national TV programs such as Good Morning America, and in newspapers all over the country. When these people actually let me talk and speak my piece, they are fascinating, and impressed with what they are hearing, even if they don't agree with some of what we do. It has had a disarming affect, and I am repeatedly being asked to come back for further interviews at later times.

Their whole reason for inviting me initially is because of what appears to be the "wacko militant" side of the movie. But when they start asking me pointed questions, I have the tremendous opportunity to not just set the record straight, but to then delve into the whole mission and vision of why we do what we do and the crisis we have in the Christian culture and the danger we are in of losing an entire
generation of children if we don't start changing the way we typically disciple our children.

I will never get the ears of the entire nation again like is happening right now. The exposure I am getting I could have never paid for! I am on a mission, and while the filmmakers, A&E, and Magnolia Pictures may have their own agenda, I also have mine, and I am going to take every opportunity to get my message to the world!

To get a better idea of our philosophy of children's ministry and why we do what we do, please read the first chapter out of my book Redefining Children's Ministry in the 21st Century.

Why did you let them film you in the first place?

When we first decided to allow the filmmakers to come, the entire conversation centered around doing a film on children and their faith and spirituality, particularly in the area of operating in the supernatural with children.

We do have a very unique ministry because we teach children to walk in the
supernatural life the Bible tells us is available, and which the Charismatic community greatly believes in. It just so happens that very few of those churches actually teach their children how to participate in these practices, which include healing the sick, hearing the voice of God, doing "prophetic" ministry (or giving words of encouragement and comfort to people as God tells them what to say.)

This and other similar activities for some reason are generally reserved for only adults as far as active training goes. We just happen to believe people of all ages can do these things, and have basically built our ministry around teaching them to children. We also try to bring awareness to other Christians that they are short-changing their kids by limiting them to basic Bible stories and nothing more trying to impress upon them the great potential children posses in spiritual things.

This is what we thought the film was going to be about. This is the message, vision, and whole focus of our ministry and it is also what the filmmakers focused on in the beginning. There was never any discussion of anything else with the filmmakers.

But the story began to morph after many months of filming when the filmmakers saw what they felt was a bigger story concerning the evangelical community and politics. The film opens with an announcement by President Bush that Sandra Day O'Conner has just resigned the Supreme Court. But what actually happened is during the filming of this movie, is that one of the conferences Loki Films shot included a very intense scene where children are praying for the over turn of Roe vs. Wade with Lou Engle. In that scene they began to cry out fervently for "righteous judges." Exactly two weeks later is when O'Conner actually resigned! It was then Loki Films began to sit up and take notice, and realized through their research that the entire Christian community was talking about these issues. It seemed irresponsible to them not to capture what they were seeing and hearing as it was taking place.

So while they were seeing political overtones through secular eyes, we believe we captured a spectacular moment on camera where these children's prayers were answered! You might say, yes, but thousands of Christians everywhere have been praying for the overturn of Roe vs. Wade. You can't give all the credit to those children!

Correct. But look who God chose to spotlight! "The least of these"--Children! You can't help but say the sequencing of these events was very interesting just at a time when this film was being made to be shown on TV and in theatres across America!

So because of this and several other supernatural things that happened in the film, we were still anxious for the movie to be shown hoping we could still get our message out to the masses. This is why I am still helping to promote this film.

Are you raising up Christian terrorists or another Hitler Youth Movement?

This is probably the most frustrating and exasperating part of this film for me. This is the conclusion people are coming to when they see the trailer, and I have to say that if I was not a believer in Christ and I saw nothing but the trailer, I would probably come away with the same impression.

But any born again Christian should be able to read between the lines and know there is absolutely no truth to this at all, and I hope other discerning individuals will as well.

There are many scriptures in the Bible that use terminology like "warfare," "weapons," "armor" and so on. When born again Christians speak of warfare they mean "spiritual" warfare. This is a war of ideologies and spiritual issues, and not a physical war that is fought with guns and bombs. Christians do believe they are in a cultural war for the lives and souls of people worldwide, and particularly for the minds and hearts of our children and youth.

There's a clip in the trailer that shows me with my arms raised up and I'm shouting, "This means war!" That came during a prayer time at the end of one of our services where I spoke on the battle we wage against sin and temptation we fight on a daily basis. We had spoken about the challenges of keeping our minds and our hearts pure in a world that throws all kinds of mental and visual trash at us all the time. But out of context it could be taken to mean anything!

The unfortunate thing is that right now the secular world has no other grid to go by than what is happening in the war on terror, and the terrorists themselves sending their young out to blow themselves up and take as many other people with them as they can at the same time. But that has nothing to do with the way Christians think of spiritual warfare. The weapons Christians use is prayer, the Word of God [Bible], and so on.

Here are a few of some much used scriptures among Christians used in their sermons and insider language that might you understand:

2 Corinthians 10:4
The weapons of our warfare are not carnal [or natural] but are mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds

1 Timothy 6:12
Fight the good fight of faith.

Ephesians 6:11-18
v.11 Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles [attacks] of the devil.
V.12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood [people are not our enemies] but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
V.13 Therefore put on the whole armor of God that you will be able to stand in the evil day, and having done all to stand, stand.
V.14 Stand therefore, having your loins covered with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness
V.15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace
V.16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith you will be able to quench the fiery darts of the enemy
V.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God [Bible]
V.18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints.

1 Timothy 1:18
This I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the promises previously made concerning you that by them you may wage a good warfare.

1 Peter 2:11
Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul.

These are just three answers to a list of FAQs about the movie. If you want to look up her website yourself, just google 'Kids in Ministry' or 'Becky Fischer'

Hope this helps.

2007/1/25 9:38Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy