Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christian Documentary

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
chuch

Christian Documentary

Hey everyone, I am a Christian filmmaker who is in the beginning stages of thinking about my next project. It has been on my mind that I want to make a documentary that presents Christianity in the truest light possible. Something to refute all of the Christian bashing that is occurring in the mainstream media right now. My question to all of you is this: What would you like to see presented in a film? I realize that I am dealing with thousands of years worth of material, and plan on this endeavor taking up many years of my life, but see it as a calling and a worth while evangelistic tool. Every response will be prayerfully considered and researched thoroughly. Many thanks and God Bless!

2007/1/24 19:43Profile
ProveAllThin

Re: Christian Documentary

The people who have impacted me most in my christian walk were those who just wanted to know and serve Jesus, nothing more, nothing less.

That said;
I would like to see a video of people, from all over the world, who are living lives of absolute surrender to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. Possibly encouraging others to take up their cross, and follow Him.

Laying down my rights...daily,
-Trevor

2007/1/24 23:34Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Welcome!

Here is something that might be of interest;

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=2411&forum=40&post_id=&refresh=Go]Edgar F. Parkyns on Church History - 10 Sessions[/url]

What would I like to see? Just honest Brethren, regardless of their particular time\space constraints, denominational backgrounds or affiliations ... Even something where the ages blend back and forth ... that the truths are interchangeable, much of what I believe something like SI shows here. How that might be presented or translated unto film, I do not know, it could be down right startling, it [i]ought[/i] to. :-)

2007/1/24 23:44Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

I would like to hear testimonies of tranformed lives. I watched a wonderful CD that Brother David Wilkerson's ministry put out called " Out of the Box". It was breathtaking in it's simplicity and depth. You should watch it. It could stimulate some ideas.

Blessings my brother

2007/1/25 0:33Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

A documentary that compares true Spirit-led Christianity to flesh-led, carnal-minded christianity.
A film where alot of wise, bait questions are asked of the participants in order to compare people's views of Christianity to the Written Word, but doing it as wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove.
A film that will capture:
1) there really is a true and a false Gospel being preached in the steeple-houses today
...and...
2) the difference between carnal and authentic Christianity
the film would encourage the viewer to seek after the Truth in God's Word for themselves. Most would walk away after seeing it angry at the deception that is in the world masquerading as Truth. The film would spark more debate than the DiVinci Code or any other false teaching. But in the end, it could not be refuted because it is built on rock-solid Biblical teaching, God's Truth.
A film that exposes the lies of the devil and the spirit of anti-christ. \
A film that will capture the real Love of God, magnifying Him, drawing sinnerts and Truth-seekers after Him.
Doing it all in 60 minutes...

2007/1/25 2:29Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Yes... a documentary that shows the life of Christ period :-D That life will be a witness to the people.
Sure some will reject Him... but He knows those that are His.
Praise Jesus... Praise God. Christ Jesus the Light of Life!!!
richie
PS. In such a wickedness in North America today, such a Spirit-filled man would stand out. Such a Loving, humble man would "blow people away." It can be you... It can be me... all Jesus, dead to self... let it be done according to your faith. He promises to abide in us, [u][i][b]IF[/b][/i][/u] ...
Can you see it; Can you feel it; Are you weeping...?

2007/1/25 4:21Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Quote:
a documentary that presents Christianity in the truest light possible.

Then there is only one thing you need to show. Document the lives of people changed by Christ. I am sure you would have no difficulty finding testimonies of people being saved from sin. You could even start with mass murderer David Berkowitz (Son of Sam) or Brian "Head" Welch who left the heavy metal band Korn to follow Jesus.

In Christ,
Blake

2007/1/25 9:40Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Chuch, welcome to SI and to the forums :-)

I pray you have every grace needfull to make something that will glorify and honor God and His Christ.

There is a sort of documentary available that may be usefull to you. It is called [i]The Cross: Jesus in China[/i], produced by the China Soul For Christ Foundation. On the back of the DVD case it is described as the [i]Turbulent 50-year History of Chinese Christians on Screen[/i]. I own a copy and very much recommend it.

There is also a thread discussing the documentary here at SI. It hay be viewed here:

[url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=2399&forum=35&start=20&viewmode=flat&order=1]DVD Set --- The Cross: Jesus In China[/url]

I ordered my copy through Voice of The Martyrs. It is also available through China Soul I beleive.

Chris

2007/1/25 10:21Profile

brother,
as an artist myself, you do what the Lord leads you to do, for His Glory. Don't ask anyone outside your production unit, everyone's got an opinion, God gave YOU the gift of cinema/documentary art, so go do it in His leading.

'member that saying.."too many cooks......"

In Jesus' love, neil

2007/1/25 13:12

Re: here's an add-on

look what I found in the NY Times today:

[img]http://graphics10.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/25/arts/God1600.jpg[/img]

January 25, 2007
TV Review | 'Friends of God'
A Culture of Faith, Devoted Yet Complex
By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
There is a God, and he punishes those who overreach on television.

Until he was removed from his ministry last November for “sexually immoral conduct” (he was accused of having sex with a male prostitute and buying illegal drugs), the Rev. Ted Haggard was the president of the National Association of Evangelicals and one of the most prominent spokesmen for the Christian right.

“You know all the surveys say that evangelicals have the best sex life of any other group,” Mr. Haggard waggishly told a documentary filmmaker a few months before his secret came out. On “Friends of God: A Road Trip With Alexandra Pelosi,” which will be shown tonight on HBO, Mr. Haggard coaxes a member of his congregation to say how often he has sex with his wife (“Every day. Twice a day.”) and how often she climaxes (“Every time”).

You could almost see the wrathful lightning bolt striking down from the heavens.

The Bible Belt is the Loire Valley of American extremism — visitors glide across vast highways in the South and West to marvel at the revivalist megachurches and “Honk for Jesus” road signs with the giddy awe of tourists exploring an alien civilization. And like Chenonceau or the vineyards of Sancerre, Christian evangelical churches rarely disappoint.

In his hit comedy, “Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan,” the comedian Sacha Baron Cohen already proved how open and trusting born-again believers can be in front of a television camera. Posing as a naïve journalist from Kazakhstan, Mr. Cohen was welcomed at a Pentecostal meeting where worshipers spoke in tongues and helped him accept Jesus as his savior.

The French writer Bernard-Henri Lévy took a more self-serious tour of evangelical Christianity when he retraveled the road taken by Alexis de Tocqueville in his study of the modern American psyche, “American Vertigo.” (Mr. Lévy found New World religiosity a little less admirable than his predecessor did.)

“Friends of God” is not intended as a satire or even an exposé; Mr. Haggard’s fall from grace occurred after the filming was complete and is summed up in a postscript.

The documentary is a good-natured travelogue: it glances on the more intolerant and grotesque manifestations of Christian fundamentalism and also the faith’s vast following and political clout. Ms. Pelosi’s film doesn’t go deep; it doesn’t even explore why so many televangelists seem to follow the trajectory of Elmer Gantry. But it doesn’t snicker. “Friends of God” serves as a breezy, colorful reminder of how George W. Bush became president, why Fox News has the highest ratings of any 24-hour cable news network and why Democrats didn’t win an even greater landslide in the 2006 elections.

Ms. Pelosi is the daughter of the newly elected House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, and this is her third HBO film, and the one furthest afield from her natural habitats of Washington, New York and San Francisco. The first documentary, “Journeys With George,” was a mischievous, camcorder-look inside the world of the presidential campaign. (Ms. Pelosi was an NBC News producer on Mr. Bush’s press plane.) Her second, “Diary of a Political Tourist,” a smart-alecky, first-person tour of the Democratic primary process, was less winning.

Ms. Pelosi stays off camera and out of the way in “Friends of God,” and we only occasionally hear her voice. “So explain to me the concept of this Biblical mini golf,” the filmmaker says to a man who putts on a paper-and-glue parted Red Sea. (The ninth hole is a papier-mâché miniature of the Holy Sepulchre.)

Mostly, Ms. Pelosi lets pastors, creationism teachers, Christian stand-up comics and rockers and the founder of the Christian Wrestling Federation speak for themselves.

“So we do have a public relations problem; we always have — they killed Jesus if you’ll recall,” Mr. Haggard tells her. “And the church has always had this problem because we are the ones with the role to say, ‘There is a moral plumb line, and we need to rise up to it.’ ” At this point, the disgraced minister seems almost to foreshadow his own fate.

“And that’s also why secular people are so concerned when the church doesn’t fulfill its own moral standard,” he said. “Like if a pastor falls into corruption or becomes dishonest or greedy: it’s heartbreaking because even secular people want godly people to be authentically godly.”

FRIENDS OF GOD

A Road Trip With Alexandra Pelosi

HBO, tonight at 9, Eastern and Pacific times; 8, Central time.

Written, directed and produced by Alexandra Pelosi; Lisa Heller, supervising producer; Sheila Nevins, executive producer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/arts/television/25stan.html

2007/1/25 13:28

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy