SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Al Gore's: "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH" ...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Rahman

Al Gore's: "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH" ...

i just watched Al Gore's "An Inconvienient Truth" ... Man what an eye opener! ... If anyone can look at this evidence of our CO2 emmisions having a devestating effect on the ecology then i'm at a loss for words ... The dissapearance of entire glaciers, and whats happening to Greenland and the polar ice cap in just the past 30 years is mind boggling ...

One of the most amazing things for me was the chart that showed America emitting 38% of such emmisions, Europe 27%, while the entirety of Africa and the far and mid east is less than 6% ... As up and coming as China is, with it's awful burning of coal is nowhere near what the U.S. and Europe emit, a collective 65% ... :-?

It also showed a chart made during Bush 41's presidency anti the Kyoto Protocol said to be because of China's exemption, in which the planet and a stack of gold bars were placed in a balance, side by side, as to which was most important in light of American continued economic increase and prosperity, and surely we could have both instead of sacrificing our economy for planetary benefit ... In fact it also documented how American government and business interest had some scientific statements doctored, to have global warming designated a "theory" rather than a ugly "fact" ...

In this documentary Upton Sinclair is quoted as saying, "It is difficult to get a man to understand anything if his salary depends on it" ... That's with any man but it seems the continued salaries/profits of we Westeners, toward ever increasing so that we can consume more manufactured crap that we don't need, are we who are putting our planet in the most serious of danger ... And isn't it intersting that we the biggest culprits, are the nations that claim Christ and Christianity? ...

i'm always seeing everything from a scriptural bend, and i began thinking to myself that the preaching of our need for "serious repentance" is as much an inconvient truth to us Western saints spiritually, as Al Gore's documentary is a wet blanket on our out of control American pursuits of hyper - life, liberty and our own selfish happines - to blazes with melting glaciers, bigger hurricanes, etc., as long as we can have our Hummers, huge houses, and all of the useless gadgetry that amuse us past the voice of God ...

In Al Gore's documentary it stated that Katrina is the first sign of weather related "dire consequences" for America, but that along with the fact that the levees weren't up to par worked hand in hand with that catastrophe ... Spiritually speaking what will be our outcome when the "dire consequences" of our not heeding scriptural warnings blow hard against us? ... Will we seem to weather the storm only to find out that our devestation could be caused by our weak foundation in Christ? ... Are we built on the solid Rock, or sinking sand? ...

Al Gore warns us of "an inconvienent truth" in the physical ... There are men of God who warn us of "an inconvienent truth" in the spiritual ... We have a tendency to castigate, marginilize and trivialize both for the same reason, that we don't want to surrender our carnal appetites to a higher calling, a higher purpose, both having to do with "loving God, and our fellow man more than ourselves" ...

God said that He would bring to ruin those who ruin the earth ... We're ruining it big time in the West, saved and unsaved alike ...

[b]AN INCONVIENIENT TRUTH[/b]
http://www.climatecrisis.net/

2007/1/23 16:34Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Al Gore's: "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH" ...

Being a Christian means that we should be good stewards of the environment... but we should also be wary of politicians using scare tactics to get their names in the news.

I am going to offend some people, but I'll say it anyways, there is something very un-christian about driving an SUV. It's wasteful, it's more than most people need and it's bad stewardship of our finances, our environment and a bad witness to our relationship with Jesus.

As Christians we should make choices in our consumption to glorify the Lord. If every Professing Christian in America was more concious about their power usage at home and their choice of automobiles then we would substancially change the face of American consumerism.

Unfortunately some will call me a legalist, some will say 'well everyone else is doing it...' some will probably even say 'i didn't know we were supposed to be different than the world.'

We're going to be held accountable for all that we have been entrusted by God, the things we did and didn't do.

We'll be accountable for all of the specieces that are going extinct as we drive our SUVs, we'll be held accountable for all the starving people that die each day as we feed our pets high protien dog and cat food, we'll be held accountable for all the people who are slaughtered for oil and other resources while we drive our SUVs and turn up the heat in the winter.

Don't think you're gonna get a slap on the wrist just because you didn't put a few coins in the salvation army bucket during the Christmas season, our stewardship to this world, to this generation goes far beyond some charitable contributions.

2007/1/23 16:54Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Here is my take on Global warming let's face it, global warming exists. Forget the science, the facts... it's totally irrelevant. Adolph Hitler illustrated the "big lie" in Mein Kampf in 1925, and it was further perfected by Joseph Goebbels. They win. We lost. Plain and simple, If CEO's of major corporations - ostensibly the best and the brightest - have bought into, there really is not stopping it (granted there's a huge market $$$ in this).

All we can hope for is global warming initiatives are implemented as quickly as possible. Then sit back and watch our nation fall with $150/bbl oil, $10 gallon gasoline and fuel oil, 25% to 30% or more unemployment, 10% to 15% declines in annual GDP, inflation to make the 1970s look tame, and interest rates that make the late 1970s and early 1980's a bargain. When the American people sit around on their thumbs wondering what's happening, Meanwhile, Third World nations like China and other will experience exponential economic growth, and will use their wealth to outpace our military by leaps and bounds. Our military will cease to exist with too many citizens on public assistance.
And even as all of this occurs, environmental zealots will be calling for even more, as weather grows more extreme.

Public schools and all major universities are brainwashing the next generation... put a fork in the United States, it is DONE. No great civilization has endured forever, as the history of the Roman Empire shows. The American Empire too will soon fall. The decline began in 1960s and our destruction will continue exponentially as time goes on.

If there's any doubt... look at how America wants to cut and run in the face of the worst attack on American soil in history. Better learn Arabic, soon.

2007/1/23 17:46Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Wolverines~!!! (Great Red Dawn opportunity!)

You know, I think everything you just said was tumbling down a giant slippery slope fallacy (among other fallacies). I couldn't take you seriously after like the second sentence.

The reason they've got the power and you don't... pretty simple, they paid attention in speech and debate class! I really don't know where you get conspiracy theories like that, but they're a discredit to yourself and to our God. Your God is too small!

2007/1/23 18:16Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Well just an opinion as you stated your opinion also, but who knows guess we will just have to wait and see what happens won't we? only God knows for sure but I think what I stated was reality not what Government wants us to believe, and by the way is Al Gore the same person that sat under Bill Clinton how can we accept some of the stuff he says?

But bottom line I have studied a lot about Global warming as I am in the A/C and Heating business and the big cfc's are the blame, I don't believe that for one minute but hey big brother says's so guess it's true.

If you read up these big glaciers have been melting since the beginning of time why are we now to blame? Personally I feel all of this Global warming stuff is just part of the earth's God given cycle.

By the way I'm am sure the top CEO's in this country will convince the majority of Americans that their interest in the environment far exceeds their interest in keeping the stockholders happy. After all, that is what they get paid for, to bend the truth a little bit here and there. Question is, how many of us are willing to buy this big lie.

2007/1/23 18:30Profile
c52

Loveland, Co. USA

Re: It's real...

Global warming is real. I've been vocationally employed in horticulture/agriculture most of my life and can see the destruction and stress. I focus on plant health specifically and am amazed at what we have done to this planet and I believe that we all bear responsibility. I ask my Lord daily to forgive me for my part in this destruction, but, on the other hand, I know that He will use this for good, therefore I giggle often knowing that He is the final arbiter and that if he does not come soon we will destroy ourselves. Of course scripture does not allow for that; He will destroy and create a new heaven and a new earth. Isn't He wonderful! (Rev. 21)

2007/1/23 18:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

iansmith wrote:
I am going to offend some people, but I'll say it anyways, there is something very un-christian about driving an SUV. It's wasteful, it's more than most people need and it's bad stewardship of our finances, our environment and a bad witness to our relationship with Jesus.

It's really hard for me to get 2000 lbs worth of my work tools in a Yugo.

:-(

2007/1/23 18:37Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I was an international studies major at the University of Washington... one of my favorite classes was a seminar by Professor Kenneth Pyle called 'New Orders In East Asia' in which we set out to look at how East Asia interacted in different ways throughout the past, how they interact today, and what could we possibly predict it would hold for the future.

The final project in the class was kind of interesting in itself. The professor had us read a book which was basically the handbook for a political philosophy called Realpolitik. After we had finished reading it, we were set about to write what we invisioned the future of power to be in East Asia.

We had to include all the major and minor characters... what would China's role be, what would Japan's role be, how would politics with North and South Korea affect regional stability and power.

There of course was no right answer for the project, because it was all hyopthetical. We just had to take the data present and project it onto a future statement in such a way that we could justify our arguement.

I basically argued that the rise of China was just too fast and too strong, that Japan and South Korea would align with some south east asian powers that also feared encroachment by China and only through aliance could they counterbalance the regional power of China.

And where was America in all this? Well we had to be nuetral. Why? Well economically we're too dependent on both Japan and China -and likewise both of their economies are dependent on the USA.

Why don't I see China going against the USA? Well pretty honestly, that'd be like shooting themselves in the stomach. The only reason that China is growing is that the United States is feeding them, it's like a really bad co-dependent relationship. We're gonna kill eachother if we stay together, and we can't live without eachother.

Now there are some wildcards which I did admit in the paper. I had taken this class shortly after 9-11 and couldn't say what the new climate of anti-terrorism would do in the east asian situation. In retrospect I also didn't give enough of a nod to the EU or Russia, they're wildcards. If the EU stays close to the USA we have nothing to fear, but if the EU were to become the main trading partner with China, it could very easily change my original premise that China is too attached to the USA to bite the hand that feed it.

And as for Russia, well, I just don't know. Vlad is an interesting guy and we'll have to keep our eyes on him.

Why did I write all of this? One reason, because I did over 2000 pages worth of reading to come to my conclusions. I was graded by a professor who also was up to date in world politics and had a good enough understanding of the past to be able to apply them to the future.

Your argument lacks legs to stand on. It comes out without any clear understanding of the past, the current, and conjectures a future that is mostly improbible if not impossible.

Now one thing we should be sure of, America is right now an almost monolithic unilateral superpower... but with the EU, Russia and China we may not be. This should not automatically lead us to hate these countries though. Who's to say if America being a little more humble wouldn't be a good thing. Heck, i'd actually say that yes, America being more humble would be a great thing!

2007/1/23 18:46Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:
It's really hard for me to get 2000 lbs worth of my work tools in a Yugo.

I was mostly talking about soccer moms who put a kid and a dog in the back and argue that they don't have enough room for groceries in the trunk of a sedan. Well then don't eat as much! We know that many Christians in the USA are Gluttons too!

2007/1/23 18:49Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I do feel Global Warming is a fact but what causes it is not.
And, BTW, global warming does not necessarily mean that local temperatures will rise across the board… it means strange patterns of weather. That could mean colder for a time locally… while globally mean temps are on the rise.

So what makes that different from any other branch of science? Not a thing. Theories are not facts and vice-versa. They are different things altogether. As Gould said, “Facts are the world’s data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein’s Theory of Gravitation replaced Newton’s in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in mid-air pending the outcome.”

Are humans partly responsible for global warming? Perhaps they are. But that does not explain ice caps melting on Mars does it?

It also does not make any sense at all to limit our response to C02 reduction. If we were somehow able to do the impossible and cut out ALL sources of human generated C02, the carbon cycle would still take over 200 years to stabilize. But wait! Al Gore and others say we don't have that kind of time, right?

Hmmm. Something is not adding up here. We should be moving civilization away from the coasts… and start figuring out how we make our ports still work with higher sea levels. You know, practical things like that. After all, this is the greatest demon to face mankind!

I think there is a lot more going on here than pure scientific discovery, because a response limited to C02 reduction only does not fit with the rest of the story.

Anyone want to guess at some true motivations for the C02 stance?

This is a clear case of science being improperly used as a tool to mold social policy. Simple as that as far as I can see.

2007/1/23 18:59Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy