SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone know New York City well?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Anyone know New York City well?

I'm thinking of going to Times Square Church for a weekend next year for my wifes 40th birthday, (and taking her with me ;-) ). I can get the plane tickets easy enough but could someone advise me as to where is best to stay, we are not too well off, but I could stretch to a hotel if that's all there is. Also some information about the best time to go and wether it's worth staying on for the Monday. Any helpful info would be much apreciated, I have just over 12 months to save up.

Ste

2007/1/22 18:08Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re: Anyone know New York City well?

I am not that familiar with hotel accommodations in New York City. Manhattan hotels are most expensive (although one can always find sale prices in the smaller/less known ones) but staying in Manhattan itself gives you an added advantage of being near the church. You can call the Church office. It's possible that the staff knows where good and inexpensive accommodations can be found.

In TSC, there are 3 services on Sundays - 10AM, 3PM, 6PM. Midweek service is on Tuesday at 7PM and another on Friday 7PM. Prayer meeting is on Thursday at 7PM. There are no repeat services. Please come at least an hour before the service to save seats in the main sanctuary especially for the morning service. Many do come earlier than that then eat breakfast in restaurants or deli around the area. The preacher for each service is not announced so that most of the time the congregation knows the speaker only when he goes to the front. I don't recall anybody preach twice on Sunday except an occasional guest. Many stay the whole day. You may want to do that. You'll be blessed.

2007/1/22 18:57Profile

How much are you willing to spend on a hotel?

Some of the hotels downtown in the financial disrict are less expensive on the weekend.(Embassy suites)

There are also a number of fairly inexpensive hotels in Newark, NJ right near the Newark Penn Station. (You could take a train into Penn station in NYC from there..only about 10 miles)

2007/1/22 19:46
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I have no idea, the cheaper the better, but I prefer value for money rather than to spend the night in a cheap hotel miles from anywhere.

The train sounds like a good idea, but the more complicated it all becomes the less likely I am to go for it.

I may want to bring my 2 kids, that will make it more expensive but I could raid their piggy banks to help :-D

2007/1/22 21:46Profile
tinluke

New England USA

I actually spend quite a bit of time in NYC. I average about once a month. I usally just drive in for the day, but if I am spending the night, I stay in New Jersey. Most hotels in Manhatten require a 2 night minimum to book and the lowest price I have found is between $300-$400.

After staying in some pretty pricey hotels and some pretty scary hotels, the best one I have found is the Hampton Inn in North Bergen New Jersey. It's about $100 a night and it is exactly 7 miles from Times Square Church. It is right across the George Washington Bridge. The Hotel is very nice and clean. It has a swimming pool and a nice breakfast, but it's right off the highway and there is absolutely nothing around. I would recommend renting a car in New Jersey then driving over. The parking is free at the Hotel and if you are going to Times Squre Church for the day your parking is just $2.00. Just remember to get your ticket validated at church before you leave. But there is also a commuter rail that goes over to Times Squre, but I'm not sure about Sunday. If you called the hotel they could help you out with that.

Ray's pizza is right around the corner from Times Squre Church and it's the perfect stop for lunch between service. It's a great stop for a good New York pizza and the price is low.

If you want to go shopping, but not break the bank than Cannal Street is the best. Cannal St is right in the middle of China town. It's a big outdoor market place. You take the R train right from Times Square...it cost $2.00 each way. Little Italy is right next door to China town. And Ground Zero is about 5 blocks away or a 2 minute metro ride from Little Italy.

The Zoo at central park is only about $6 a ticket and that is not far from Times Squre either. The American Natural History Musem is huge and if you happen to get a rainy day, you could easily spend 4 or 5 hours in there.

The only reason I go to NYC is Times Squre Church, but I have found alot of fun things to do while I'm there that don't cost alot of money.

I know you will be blessed by Times Squre Church, but I hope you have fun and hope all this info was helpful.

God Bless,

Tina

2007/1/23 18:11Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

I definitely don't know NYC "well" but I did spend a summer in New Jersey and made a few trips into the Big Apple, one of them to visit Times Square Church. I would recommend staying somewhere in the Newark-Elizabeth-Lindon, New Jersey area, and catch a train at Newark Penn Station (There is also a hub a few miles south of Newark on the same route, but I don't remember what the station was called). Parking at the station (or you may be shuttling from the hotel?) is around $10 for the day, and a round trip ticket into and out of NYC is only around $15-20. You will want to take the train to 34th St. Penn Station. From there you can get on the subway and head up to the appropriate stop at 49th or 50th (not sure which ones run from Penn Station north to that destination); or you can exit 34th St.-Penn Station (coming up from underneath Madison Square Garden) and walk up 7th St. until it meets Broadway then follow Broadway to 51st, where you turn left and there you are.

I recommend the New Jersey/train method to avoid the chaos that is driving in NYC as a tourist, not to mention the costs of all the tolls entering/exiting the city and the cost of parking.

Also, if this is in the summer time and you want to save a little $$$ and/or have an easy romantic lunch, pack some food from a WAWA (an exclusively East Coast convenience store that has a great deli) back in New Jersey and head up to Central Park for a nice picnic :-) Eating in the city doesn't necessarily have to be outrageous, but it can add up very quickly. Besides, who wouldn't want a relaxing picnic in Central Park? :-)

Just a few ideas.

2007/1/23 23:16Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy