SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : NASB

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

It's a beautiful day outside...!

Krispy

2007/1/22 8:55
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Krispy

Yes it is. :-)

TJ

2007/1/22 9:46Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

hmmmm strange... my order got cancelled..... maybe i should go whit the KJV instead?

2007/1/22 12:16Profile

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
hmmmm strange... my order got cancelled..... maybe i should go whit the KJV instead?

Where/Who are you buying from? They may not ship to Sweden.

Go here: CBD.COM

2007/1/22 12:28
Santana

Re:

Quote:

I don't know where you live brother but it's freezing where I live...and gloomy....and I hear the NASB is the best version to get around if you don't want KJV.

2007/1/22 15:42Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Compare this verse with the NASB and see what you conclude [pay attention to the margin note]:

Proverbs 22:6 (KJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

My NASB says that. I don't see a problem. What are you 'hinting' at?

2007/1/22 17:32Profile

Re:

Proverbs 22:6 (NASB-U)
*Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

In my margin says this that I find no where else:

NASB-U
*Lit according to his way

What is your perspective given that interpretation?

2007/1/22 18:25
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

I believe what Ormly is getting at is the footnote in NASB says "according to his way" which sounds like it's promoting that you should let your kid do what he wants. This is NOT what is going on here. If it was, they would have GIVEN the literal, not put it in a footnote. Further, we must keep in mind that the footnote is not explaining the verse but what the Hebrew words said. The translators OBVIOUSLY didn't like how "according to his way" sounded, so they used a dynamic equivalent here and noted that fact. My guess (since I don't know Hebrew) is that "according" doesn't exactly translate into English well, so the KJV and NASB chose "in the way he should go", the only difference is that the NASB tells you what they did.

That said, it could still be argued that people will use that footnote to wrongly interpret this passage, whereas if you only used the KJV there would be no confusion. Of course an NASB defender can point out the ways in which the old english and mistranslations in the KJV is misused all the time to come up with false beliefs, and we can go around and around on that again :-D

My opinion, based upon hours of personal research and a fairly small understanding of Greek, is that the KJV is based on a superior [i]family[/i] of manuscripts (not necessarily the particular subset that was used for the TR) than "modern" translations. Further, the KJV remarkably consistent in the way it translates scripture compared to newer versions. Now, I also own and use a NASB at times to compare to KJV when the English is a little funny for me (please note I'm NOT calling it hard to read...it's not). When there's an apparent discrepancy, I go to Lexicons for OT (since I have no idea how to read Hebrew) and the Wescott-Hort NT vs. Robinson-Pierpont NT vs. Textus Receptus (both Erasmus and Scrivener versions) to discern the most likely meaning of the verse. The NASB is a very good translation from the manuscripts they use, and like the KJV is very consistent. As far as the ESV, it's based on the same manuscripts but is not as literal as NASB, so why use it? I will not touch the NIV, and will try to steer people away from it. Just look at a NASB-NIV-Greek interlinear and go through some of Paul's epistles. I've heard NIV defenders discuss the validity of the dynamic equivalent translation principles, and I don't buy it. But one thing they can't defend is the incredible inconsistency in which they translate Greek words.

Well, that came out lengthier and wordier than I wanted, but I hope somebody gets something out of it :-D

2007/1/22 19:04Profile

Re:

Thanks Be!

I believe the verse could be written this way based on what I believe the margin to infer:

"Bring up a child, with no direction given him for life, when he is old he will not be able to receive any."

I believe actual experience of raising children has proven to be what I believe the verse to mean. I believe our society testifies to that to be the truth. Exceptions excluded.

2007/1/22 19:20
Koheleth

NC

Re:

This is a great derived truth, but the phrase "according to his way" is still a translation from the Hebrew, no matter how "literal". The reason the KJV and NASB translations of this verse succeed is that when a Hebrew speaking person heard these words, the meaning that immediately registered in their brain was "in the way he should go". You can check this out in other Proverbs and other wisdom literature in the Bible. "According to his way" is just the Hebrew idiom indicating that "his way" is "the way that [should be] his", hence "the way he should go". So the standard English translations capture the meaning quite well. Even English Bibles used by Jews translate the verse this way.

2007/1/27 9:47Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy