Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : NASB

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

NASB

in another thread i was asking about a study bible, now ive decided to go whit a version Of NASB... or almost decided, id like some input from people who read it,

i know there where a discussion about bible translations that got out of hand recently, thats not what i want i dont want argument, i just want some input on how it is, i own a KJV, i have some other versions on the computer, so i thought id go whit this one, as i understand this version is translated word by word?

what does that meen ? that they got rid of gramatical rules?

2007/1/21 14:48Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: NASB

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
i know there where a discussion about bible translations that got out of hand recently, thats not what i want i dont want argument, i just want some input on how it is, i own a KJV, .

don't want argument? or for this thread to get out of hand? here is some Godly advise go with that "still small voice" can't be mislead with opinions with that. :-)

God Bless
Mr. Bill

2007/1/21 15:12Profile
lovegrace

Re:

It's been my experience with NASB that you should:

1. Keep an eye out for the foot notes. When it says 'some early manuscripts....' That's probly referring to the ones that KJV used. So, use the discernment of God.

2. It's not perfect. Some verses are wrong. But yet I think 100 times better than NIV.

So, let the Spirit bring LIFE to the Word, through the NASB brother.

2007/1/21 15:16Profile

Re:

Quote:

lovegrace wrote:
It's been my experience with NASB that you should:

1. Keep an eye out for the foot notes. When it says 'some early manuscripts....' That's probly referring to the ones that KJV used. So, use the discernment of God.

2. It's not perfect. Some verses are wrong. But yet I think 100 times better than NIV.

So, let the Spirit bring LIFE to the Word, through the NASB brother.

Compare this verse with the NASB and see what you conclude [pay attention to the margin note]:

Proverbs 22:6 (KJV)
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

2007/1/21 16:03
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I also hate the disputes about Bible translations/versions so I am taking a risk here to voice my opinion...but I love the NASB! This is all I have used for years except when I post on SI!

But do as another poster suggested, listen to that still small voice. Methinks that is the greater problem then exactly what translation one uses...Opps! did I say something controversial? Hope not..again, it is my opinion and I have been blessed using the NASB.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/1/21 16:04Profile
K_DAY

Ann Arbor, MI

I think I am going to get a NASB as well. I have heard good things. Currently, I am working through a workbook written by Paul Washer called "One True God," and in the preface he recommends the NASB.

But don't worry everyone else! I also just bought my first KJV, and am finding that its really not that hard to understand. I kinda like it...

2007/1/21 16:11Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well ive heard good and bad things about it, and as long as no one tells you how wong you are reading it this thread should stay civilised and in a christian spirit, i wasent thinking of one whit so many notes, i was thinking of one whit the thompson reference, and as few notes as possible...

2007/1/21 16:12Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

It is a very literal translation and brings out some good word studies. I like it for personal study. I got this quote from the web

"...Ultimately, what separates the New American Standard Bible from the various available versions is that the NASB is a literal word-for-word translation from the original languages. In contrast, the others stress either a loose, personalized paraphrase, or a free-style, thought-for-thought translation known as a dynamic equivalent. Both of these place the highest priority on ease of reading and a lower priority on word-for-word preciseness. While such versions may produce smooth English, the literalness of the Word of God is sacrificed. This has never been an option for the New American Standard Bible."

This will cause some of the KJVers to post on this thread and try to keep you from “making an error” and choosing an inferior translation, but rest assured there are just as many people that believe in the NASB just as much as they believe in the KJV. John MacArthur, Ergan Caner, and quite a few others have said they believe the NASB to be the most accurate translation available today, they also acknowledge that none are perfect and free from errors.

I really like the NASB study bible, it has some really good info in it, but not perfect. I also like some of the info in the Archaeological Study Bible (niv). I do not use the NIV for any serious studies, but it has some very interesting historical facts.

I would say that most serious study would come from a reference edition Bible. I wish the Thompson chain was available in NASB. I will get it in KJV.

As for people posting scriptures that are in question, and giving examples of the KVJ being superior, it works both ways. The NASB is a good translation, but I would never completely abandon the KJV.

You will get much good advice from your brothers and sister of SI

God be with you

TJ

2007/1/21 16:19Profile
DIEDTOSELF

Minnesota

Re:

In personal study when reading other versions I always end up back in the kjv. So my recomendation is to get a parrell Bible that has the nasb sided with the kjv. I heard from some of John Pipers pupils that the esv is good as well although preference the Authorised for sure.

2007/1/21 16:28Profile

Re:

Here's a place where you can get all translations, place them side by side and compare away --- with references using the NASB as the base. I own it and I would not be with it. I love it. I believe Version 5, the old version what I have, is now free. See for yo0urself. Its the Thompson Chain Reference collection, the best in my estimation. Very flexibility. I'll state that one would have to pay 500-600US for an equal to it.

http://www.wordsearchbible.com/freewordsearch3.htm

2007/1/21 17:55

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy