SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : 1 Corinthians 12:1 (through to truth) - ?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

1 Corinthians 12:1 (through to truth) - ?

Greetings all...

Seeing that I am new, and that it will probably take the rest of my life to catch up on all of the discussions, please forgive me if I ask anything that has already been beaten to death. I say 'beaten to death', not because I believe God's word will ever die, rather, I have noticed some topics that have been bullied to the point of being stopped.

So, be patient with me, I just want learn, whether the easy or hard way, I do not care.

As some of you know, I am in South Korea. My experience here has been great and I would not exchange it for anything in the world. I have grown in many ways here, especially in my relationship and understanding of my purpose, with relation to God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

I am 'white' and I started my growth in a all 'black' baptist church in Canada. That was also great for me and I would not exchange that for anything either. Here in Korea, people are 'yellow' and that being said I have, in a short time, learned the importance of the heart, rather than the skin.

In all of my experiences, love has always shown its way through and I thank God for that. Now I am at a point that I am confident in my belief and I firmly believe that I will fight for Christ and help bring people to the cross, but I am finding so many differences with Christians, I am becoming confused with what is true worship and what is not.

I noticed in my baptist church in Canada that at times, they were making strange noises, but since I was completely new, I accepted it as normal, because of my lack of understanding. Later I began to understand that it was speaking in tongues. Once here, in Korea, I attended a few churches and heard this again, but much more vocal.

Over the past five or six months I have been attending what they call 'morning church' (every morning 5am-6:30am or whenever you feel to stop praying). The name of it is Amen Church. When I first started, some people spoke in tongues, while others did not, then my fiancee's family started to do it more and more. A few weeks ago, I started too, or I think I started. For a few days, I spoke in tongues, but recently I stopped.

The question that arose for me was whether I was given the gift to speak in tongues, or was I just copying the others. At the time I felt sincere and I felt truth to my prayer, but then doubt set in, which led me to believe that I was only 'following the leader'.

Also, my fiancee's sister appearantly has/had the gift of healing or casting out evils. Since then we have learned from another healer that she was not really able to heal, but the the devil was letting her believe that to take control of her.

I met the other hearler and he has given me some great advice and even some 'healing'. He has been healing for only a short time, for he was not a christian for that long, but was saved a little over a year ago.

He told me that we (or at least I am) are able to heal ourself..."by the blood of Jesus, rebuke the devil, by the power of the Holy Spirit." He says that he has about 6 of the 9 spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12. He also says that if we pray for gifts and if they are in line with God's will, we will receive.

So, I need help!!! I do not know where to start to ask for help, but I know that I am somewhat confused, especially, since I have read that some people do not believe in some of the spiritual gifts. I am praying about it, but I thought some of you have some wisdom that you may want to share...Help...

Also, the 'Amen' church seems to say "Amen" more than I have ever heard in my life. I understand alittle what "Amen" means and I have read it in the Bible, and heard Tozer mention it once before, but I am wondering if it is possible to say it too much, especially, if it may be more directed at the pastors words or the name on the church, rather than God's word and in Jesus name.

Thank you for your time... all help is greatly appreciated. And if anyone wants to yell or argue with me, I will be happy to be a sound board. I am not one to argue, but I will try to make you smile... :-D :-) 8-) :-P :roll: :smart: :-?

2007/1/21 8:17
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: 1 Corinthians 12:1 (through to truth) - ?

Dear Brian,

I sympathise with you brother. This world is a confusing place and as the Apostle Paul wrote, there are so many kinds of voices in the world.

Maybe I can be of some small help to you in giving my impressions of a few things you shared?

Regarding what you were told about recieiving the gifts of the Spirit. When I read this I had thought of 1Cor 12:11, where it reads

[i] But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit...[/i]

...[i]dividing to every man severally [u]as he will[/u][/i]

It seems to me that God does, by His Holy Spirit, fit and shape His bride according to His pleasing, that He decks Her in beautifull garments and ornaments, as it pleases Him.

Further we read...

[i] But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.[/i]

And then he asks..

[i] if they were all one member, where were the body?[/i]

I am no one, and nothing, yet it would seem strange to me, that one member should have some many parts. Yet, he goes on to say

[i]...our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked:[/i]

More honor is given to that part which lacked, so that [i] there should be no schism in the body[/i], no inequality?

And then he asks...

[i]Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?[/i]

Conculding all of that, he tells us, there is a more [i]excellent way[/i]. It is charity, or love.

[i] When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[/i]

Whatever gifts we have, we should pray and desire and earnestly seek that they be used to build up, to encourage, and to strengthen each other, to help each other grow up into the fulness and maturity and stature of Christ. God forbid that the gifts he has given to us would be used to cause divisions, and confusions, and strifes. If my gifts will cause my brother to stumble, how can I walk in love toward him if I insist on drawing attention to the gift?

[i]...when I became a man, I put away childish things[/i]

Concerning the word Amen. Now brother I am no scholar so I would encourage you to look into this if you can, but a I understand it, the word signifies [i]truthfulness[/i] or certainty. Our Lord Jesus used it to [b]begin[/b] some of His most profound declarations. For instance, when He said [i]you must be born again[/i] he began this delcarion by saying...

Amen, Amen...

How strange, no? No wonder then the people said of Him [i]Never man spake like this man.[/i]

[b][color=000000]For he taught them as one having authority[/color][/b]

Well brother, it seems to me that this word, if it signifies such, aught to be used with the utmost solemnity and sobriety and carefulness of thought, if in using it, we set our seal to that which is spoken of, as being true.

I wish you grace and peace. May the peace of God, which passes all understanding, keep your heart and mind through Christ Jesus.

Christopher

2007/1/21 9:44Profile

Re: 1 Corinthians 12: 1 - love

Christopher,

Thank you for sharing what you believe from the exeriences that you have had. I agree with your impression of spiritual gifts. I have learned over the past couple of days that it is more my own patience that needs work, rather than the work which I felt I could do with spiritual gifts.

To some extent, I believe that I was or am jealous. I know jealousy is not good. I get so focused on doing everything that I see other people doing, which is helpful and pleasing to God, but I fail to do everything that I am able to do.

I want to be the best that God made me to be, but that leads me to try and skip major steps in my growing process. My fiancee brought this to my attention yesterday. I was watching some 'funny' 'worldy' television show and she felt that I should not be watching it because it was not glorifying to God, and it made her feel uncomfortable.

Being defensive, I stared to refute what she was saying, to justify my watch something that I wanted. However, my heart told me she was right and rather then argue, I realized that I was mad at God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit, because I was not growing as I hoped. That thinking quickly changed when I opened up to her and told her how I was struggling.

She knew it and she showed her concerns, but was very encouraging and told me to be patient. She and I watched Joel Osteen online (I know how some people feel about him, but I believe that a little sugar with medicine always goes down easier. Joel is the sweetener, but still going to the same place). We then watched part 1 of Transformation 2007, which is a Korean christian gathering here that is celebrating 100 years of Christianity in Korea.

We followed that up with an internet sermon from some guy in the states. After that, I felt completely better. She and I prayed and then I recieved an email from my old pastor in Canada who sent me two great pieces of news, which I was waiting to hear.

It made me realize that I must be patient, because God is so patient with me. He knows my heart and he knows my desires. I want to do everything I can, but I must wait for his time to do it all. Whatever, if any, spiritual gifts come my way, I will be grateful and use them to glorify Him.

I pray that Jesus will break me into nothing, and then rebuild me into something.

I am always open to advice or suggestions for any of you...

God Bless You,
Brian

8-)

2007/1/23 2:10

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy