Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Fulfill the Law of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Fulfill the Law of Christ

[i] Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.[/i]

I was asking myself tonight, what are these burdens and how are we to bear them? I think I see a clue here and I would like to share it with you all. Whatever these burdens may be, our text says, when we bear them, we [i]fufill the law of Christ[/i].

What is the law of Christ?

Is it not, but to love?

The Lord Jesus said

[b][color=660033]If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.[/color][/b]

He said He had kept His Father's commandments.

He now bids us to keep His.

What has He commanded us?

[b][color=660033] This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.[/color][/b]

How did He love us?

[b][color=660033]Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.[/color][/b]

Could it be, that we fulfil the law of Christ, when we bear each other's burdens, by laying down our own lives on their behalf?

But how could we do this?

It is written of Christ that

[i] when he was reviled, reviled not again[/i]

[i] when he suffered, he threatened not[/i]

Perhaps this then, is a way in which we may lay down our lives and bear each others burdens.

Does our brother have a short temper, or a harsh tongue? When Christ was reviled, He reviled not again. He commited His life [i]to him that judgeth righteously[/i].

Does our sister or our brother have bitterness in their heart, have they been wounded by others and now they are difficult to be around? When Christ suffered, he threatened not but commited His life [i]to him that judgeth righteously[/i].

Can the same be said of us? Do we lay down our lives before each other and bear each others wrongs, the burdens of sin, the wounds and scars of carrying it so long? Are we fulfilling the Law of Christ among us? Have we fulfilled the Law of Christ?

2007/1/20 23:36Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: Fulfill the Law of Christ

Quote:
Can the same be said of us? Do we lay down our lives before each other and bear each others wrongs, the burdens of sin, the wounds and scars of carrying it so long? Are we fulfilling the Law of Christ among us? Have we fulfilled the Law of Christ?

This speaks volumes. Thank you brother for that piercing word.

2007/1/21 1:49Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

God is exacting.

It never seems to fail that you are surely tested on the things you say to others.

And I just blew this one in my own house.

:-(

2007/1/21 10:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
It never seems to fail that you are surely tested on the things you say to others.

And I just blew this one in my own house.

Isn't this the truth ...

Quote:
Does our brother have a short temper, or a harsh tongue? When Christ was reviled, He reviled not again. He commited His life to him that judgeth righteously.

Does our sister or our brother have bitterness in their heart, have they been wounded by others and now they are difficult to be around? When Christ suffered, he threatened not but commited His life to him that judgeth righteously.

Reminded of something else that is related in regards to 'self-defense' and am drawing off some past thoughts here that came about over the whole of 'just war's' and the like. Naturally, the sort of 'go to' scripture;

Luk 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Bear with me here...

[b]And he that hath no sword[/b] - There has been much difficulty in understanding why Jesus directed his disciples to arm themselves, as if it was his purpose to make a defense. It is certain that the spirit of his religion is against the use of the sword, and that it was not his purpose to defend himself against Judas. But it should be remembered that these directions about the purse, the scrip, and the sword were not made with reference to his “being taken” in the garden, but with reference “to their future life.” The time of the trial in Gethsemane was just at hand; nor was there “time” then, if no other reason existed, to go and make the purchase. It altogether refers to their future life. They were going into the midst of dangers. The country was infested with robbers and wild beasts. It was customary to go armed. He tells them of those dangers - of the necessity of being prepared in the usual way to meet them. This, then, is not to be considered as a specific, positive “command” to procure a sword, but an intimation that great dangers were before them; that their manner of life would be changed, and that they would need the provisions “appropriate to that kind of life.” The “common” preparation for that manner of life consisted in money, provisions, and arms; and he foretells them of that manner of life by giving them directions commonly understood to be appropriate to it. It amounts, then, to a “prediction” that they would soon leave the places which they had been accustomed to, and go into scenes of poverty, want, and danger, where they would feel the necessity of money, provisions, and the means of defense. All, therefore, that the passage justifies is:

1. That it is proper for people to provide beforehand for their wants, and for ministers and missionaries as well as any others.

2. That self-defense is lawful.

Men encompassed with danger may lawfully “defend” their lives. It does not prove that it is lawful to make “offensive” war on a nation or an individual.

Albert Barnes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lingering point that I took from all of it was one of [i]personal offendedness[/i] or 'going on the offensive against an individual'. Which is where I would draw off your sentiments here Chris;

[i]"When Christ was reviled, He reviled not again."[/i]

As it relates to;

Quote:
"Does our brother have a short temper, or a harsh tongue?

Does our sister or our brother have bitterness in their heart, have they been wounded by others and now they are difficult to be around?

"

We do still have a obligation, especially here, of many other ... duties;

[i]This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.[/i] Tit 3:8-11

[i]With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.[/i] Eph 4:2,3

[i]From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?[/i] Jam 4:1

I am definitely thinking along the lines of personal effrontery, that strange whining of the decaying flesh ... "dead men", offended? ;-)

There is quite a lot of unmasking done by the apostles, the rebuking unto betterment and with that is the very real aspect of 'means and matter' (seem to be stuck on that Baxter line).

Paul's;

[i]For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season. Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter. Wherefore, though I wrote unto you, I did it not for his cause that had done the wrong, nor for his cause that suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear unto you.

Therefore we were comforted in your comfort: yea, and exceedingly the more joyed we for the joy of Titus, because his spirit was refreshed by you all. For if I have boasted any thing to him of you, I am not ashamed; but as we spake all things to you in truth, even so our boasting, which I made before Titus, is found a truth. And his inward affection is more abundant toward you, whilst he remembereth the obedience of you all, how with fear and trembling ye received him.
I rejoice therefore that I have confidence in you in all things.[/i] 2Co 7:8-16

There is something of a 'trick' here if you will, expressed a bit earlier;

[i]But I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in heaviness. For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? And I wrote this same unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy of you all.

[b]For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.[/b][/i] 2Co 2:1-4

There it seems is the heart of the matter, the 'means' of the matter, [i]manner[/i]. There can be rebuke in pride or in perceived self-injury. The somewhat paradoxical 'weaker' vessels in knowing the Lord, their causing to stumble;

[i]Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.[/i] 1Th 5:14

And this other [i]anguish[/i]. It cost's something, in misunderstanding and in speculative assumption, spiritual grieving, not 'personal'. Baxter again;

Quote:
Our whole work must be carried on under a deep sense of our own insufficiency, and of our entire dependence on Christ.

We must avoid the common confusion of speaking of those who make no difference between verbal and real errors, and hate that “madness formerly among theologians,” who tear their brethren as heretics, before they understand them. And we must learn to see the true state of controversies, and reduce them to the very point where the difference lies, and not make them seem greater than they are.

They must not only hearken to motions for unity, but propound them and prosecute them; not only entertain an offered peace, but even follow it when it flies from them.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14343&post_id=110615&order=1&viewmode=flat&pid=110601&forum=23#110615]Tozer & others on the Bible[/url]

This last line here about the dear Dr. Tozer, very, very expressive;

Quote:
Not a perfect man, Tozer had his warts. A reclusive disposition, coupled with the demands of a too - heavy schedule, left little time for his wife, Ada, and his family. As a pastor he had little time or inclination for the individual nurture of his people, relegating those matters to others. [b]Never deliberately nasty or venomous, he occasionally had to apologize to someone he hurt when he popped their balloons of pretense and pomposity[/b].

Still ...
Quote:
Do we lay down our lives before each other and bear each others wrongs, the burdens of sin, the wounds and scars of carrying it so long? Are we fulfilling the Law of Christ among us? Have we fulfilled the Law of Christ?

[i]A servant of the Lord must not argue. Instead, he must be kind to everyone, teachable, [u]willing to suffer wrong[/u], and [u]gentle in refuting his opponents.[/u] After all, maybe God will allow them to repent and to come to a full knowledge of the truth, so that they might escape from the devil's snare, even though they've been held captive by him to do his will.[/i] 2Ti 2:24-26

[i]But brother goeth to law with brother, and that before the unbelievers. Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not [u]rather take wrong?[/u] why do ye not [u]rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?[/u] Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.[/i] 1Co 6:6-8

The verses keep coming and the contemplation ... conviction.

Sorry for the length.

2007/1/21 12:50Profile
roadsign

Re: Carry each other's load. What's that mean?

Quote:
bear ye one another's burdens

One day we notice someone walking along the road with a heavy load on his back. We can tell that he is about to snap under it. So we come along side of him and carry his load for him – maybe totally or maybe partially. When he is able, we hand it back to him and he carries his own load again. He takes over his responsibility. There is a spiritual parallel.

“… weep with those who weep.” We are to help carry what others are carrying. We come along side of them and empathize with them, experience their world along with them. That means that for a period of time we set aside our own stuff so that we may walk with our brother or sister. Their load could include grief, fear, sadness, spiritual doubt or any personal experiences that may be too much for them to carry on their own. Of course that does not mean that we actually make those our own conditions. (We don’t assume their grudge, their depression, their anger, etc)

There is something else to this principle of burden bearing – something very significant in the life of the Body. I believe that these “burdens” or “loads” referred to in Galatians are sin loads.

Paul said, “I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak and I do not feel weak? Who is lead into sin, and I do not inwardly burn?” 1 Cor. 11:28 Paul was a true burden bearer – an intercessor. Paul closely identified with the struggles of his people – even when he wasn’t around them. He carried the burden in his spirit. But that didn’t mean that their sins actually became HIS sins. It meant that he carried them and bring them to the Lord while they themselves were too immature to do so. They likely were aware of their sin problem, or unwilling to admit it. But Paul knew because he was in tune in the spirit.

Here lies the danger of burden bearing. In our eagerness to help others we can be swept into the very sin of the person for whom we are assuming the burden. For example, a well-meaning pastor counsels a woman with marital discontent. He ends up in an affair with her because he never “carried his own load ” - that is, his own sin burden. His unconscious unmet needs left him vulnerable to hers. The tragic result of broken relationships is an all to common occurrence in the ministry.

This is why Paul says:
“Brother, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But WATCH YOURSELF or you may also be tempted.” .” Gal. 6:1,2
Obviously it is not for everyone to carry sin burdens of others. KNOW YOURSELF! If you are still are loaded with sin problems, you are a not good “counsellor” for others. You will easily be led astray in some way. Not only that, you cannot intercede for the sins of another if you do not have victory in that area in your own life. You must first learn to carry your own burdens.

Many Christians are all too eager to help others and fix their problems, or set them straight. But in their zeal they do little more than build bigger walls - either between each other or between the sinner and God. We Christians must first carry our own sin burdens. Otherwise we will merely judge others based on superficial symptoms of sin, while failing to carry the sinner’s true sin burden as God intended us to do. As we take responsibility for our own sins, weakness, fears, doubts, unbelief etc, and seek personal victory through Christ, THEN God can use us in helping others find deliverance. As they are able to assume his own load acknowledge/confess, we are released of it. What joy and release that is! But best of all, the victory happened between them and God! We merely interceded!

“…and so fulfil the law of Christ.”

Diane

2007/1/21 14:45Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Brother Chris wrote:

Quote:
This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

Jesus commands us to love one another. We can only fulfill this command as we ourselves draw upon our own relationship with Him. We are to love others as He has loved us. The preparation of our vessel by Him gives us an understanding of what others will experience as He works in them. In order to love we ourselves must first submit to His love. We remember our own path. We remember our own darkness. We remember His mercy. We remember what we once hoped for. With this "substance" we recognize the path that others are begining to travel. As we have learned to walk with Him, we then encourage others to find the path to Him.

The law of Christ is the power of the Holy Spirit to show us the Life that is Salvation.

God Bless
Jeff

2007/1/23 6:39Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

Yeah its love! :-)

2007/1/23 13:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy