SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

The gifts of the Spirit are for the building up of the Body of Christ. Every belever has been given at least one spiritual gift. Every believer has the indwelling of the Holy Spirit within. The Baptism of the Holy Spirit is the empowering of the Holy Spirit for ministry.

2007/1/31 8:50Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
The gifts may reveal much about the giver but nothing about the nature of the tree. The fruit, on the other hand, reveal unmistakably the nature of the tree.

Ron, this is so good. May I use it? :-)

I'll let 'em know I heard it from you.

B Paul

2007/1/31 9:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I have been in the Pentecostal "world" for 60 yrs of my almost 70. I know what I have found to be true in/for my life that sustains me. What is the way to discernment, in your estimation/experience?

Ah, another silver-surfer!!
I think it is interesting that we find the charismatic gifts, biblically, in the context of the local church. The atmosphere is obviously one of close proximity and informality.[1] This speaks to me of people who knew each other and were open to each others lives and ministries. I think in this kind of context 'discernment' was a very different matter to trying to 'suss out' what is happening in a mega-church.

[1] “But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent.” (1Cor 14:30 NKJV)

2007/1/31 9:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
Quote:
I have been in the Pentecostal "world" for 60 yrs of my almost 70. I know what I have found to be true in/for my life that sustains me. What is the way to discernment, in your estimation/experience?

I think it is interesting that we find the charismatic gifts, biblically, in the context of the local church. The atmosphere is obviously one of close proximity and informality.[1] This speaks to me of people who knew each other and were open to each others lives and ministries. I think in this kind of context 'discernment' was a very different matter to trying to 'suss out' what is happening in a mega-church.

[1] “But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent.” (1Cor 14:30 NKJV)

Amen. but "suss it out" we must. There is much at stake for which we are responsible. The "Plumbline" of Amos must be stood up. Distinctions must be made that presumption be avoided/rebuked. I directly find myself in that kind of a situation.

Re:
Quote:

Yes. Been there and got all the "memorabeelya" :-)

2007/1/31 9:35
John173

Omaha

Re:

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
There are diferences of ministries, but the same Lord.
And there are diversitie of activities, but the same God who works all in all.
But the manfestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all:
for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit....
to another different kinds of tongues
1 Cor 12:4-8a,10d

Do all have gifts of healings? Do all have gifts of tongues? Do all interpret?
1 Cor 12:30

I would that you all spoke with tongues
1 Cor 14:5a

What we need dear brethren is more scripture and less opinion.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/2/3 13:52Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
What we need dear brethren is more scripture and less opinion.

is that your opinion? ;-)

2007/2/3 18:48Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Somehow this thread wandered off into the question of whether speaking with tongues is the sole "proof" of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. There are opinions that this is so. Others deny the gifts for today altogether. It is my opinion that scripture is the answer to these views.

So, to answer your question, yes, the need for more sripture is my opinion!!

In His Love

Doug

PS cute, very cute. :-)

2007/2/3 19:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

it is my opinion that your opinion is sound in this opinion, but then again its only an opinion. :-)

2007/2/4 2:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy