SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Branded4him

Ohio

What is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost?

I have heard so many diffrent things and even at one period ive believed diffrent things in my walk. Ive only been a christian for two years but now lately I sensed so much more to the Baptism than what the average church preachers. I think its completely misused. Isnt it a process of cleaning out and empowering its not a thing that happens once and for the rest of your life your empowered. The apostle went through so much before Acts infilling it was a lenghty process. Why do we today preach come up now and just receive it and you will be filled. And does one have to pray in toungue to be filled with Holy Ghost. can you be filled with Holy Ghost without first being baptized with the Baptism Christ was baptized with Matt 20:20,23. I would like to hear what some of your thoughts are. Im going to study more on my own but I would like some others insights.

2007/1/19 20:11Profile
Logic

Re: What is the Baptism of the Holy Ghost?

[b]Matthew 3:11[/b] [color=990000]I indeed baptize you in water to repentance; but He who is coming after me is stronger than me, of whom I am not able to lift The sandals. [b]He will baptize you in the Holy Spirit and fire,[/b][/color]

baptizō = to overwhelm; from baptō = cover wholly with a fluid.
Fire is all consuming and will continue to burn untill there is no more; Prov 30:16b...the fire, ...never said, Enough!

The Baptism of the Holy Ghost is to be overwhelmed with God untill there is nothing left of what is sympathetic with the world, flesh and the devil.
Malachi 3:3, Matthew 3:12.

Therfore, you are axactly correct, it a process of cleaning out and empowering. It is not a thing that happens once but it is a process untill we see HIM face to face.

By the way, I've never prayed in another tongue but I am still in the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

2007/1/19 23:41Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
The Baptism of the Holy Ghost is to be overwhelmed with God untill there is nothing left of what is sympathetic with the world, flesh and the devil.

I like this statement! I find it very close to what I believe is baptism of the Holy Spirit. Thank You!

2007/1/19 23:46Profile
kathyclark

Alabama

Dear Branded4him,

I know that the below scripture means be being filled, it is an ongoing process. One person on on another forum said we need to seek to be continually filled because we leak. I thought that was pretty cute. Here is the scripture:

Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

Below I have given my personal testimony which I shared on another thread. I did speak in tongues without working it up when I was filled. Anyway here is my testimony......

Re: Baptism of the Holy Spirit

I am sharing my testimony on the baptism of the Holy Spirit for you below. I do believe that the 120 in the upper room already believed in Jesus, therefore were saved but the waited for the promise of the Holy Spirit. In this scripture it says:

And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

and:

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, [even] as many as the Lord our God shall call.

It says in v.38 ye shall recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit and in v. 39 it says this promise is for as many as the Lord our God shall call. That has to be all that are called

I also would encourage you to study the lives of the people who have recieved this touch. Duncan Campbell, Frank Bartleman, Rees Howells, Andrew Murray, Smith Wigglesworth, John G. Lake, and many, many more. All point to a point where the regular Christian walk became supernatural because of an encounter with the Holy Spirit.

The testimony of the love given before mine is my testimony as well. It was not worked up it was like rivers of loving water flowing without effort. A scuzzy life became clean. I know that for me it was a distinct event. I believe that I did receive the Holy Spirit when I first asked but I received the fulness when I yielded my life fully.

My testimony:
I am sharing this in the hopes that it might set someone else at liberty.

I was saved in 1976 and powerfully baptised in the Holy Spirit while asleep. I know some may see this process differently than I do, but I was totally unschooled in religious matters. Not raised in church, no instruction of any kind. My husband and I had been into the drug party scene and when one of our fellow partyers got thrown in jail for selling cocaine my life took a real turn. He began to write me letters about the Jesus he had recommitted his life to in jail. He was in jail for 2 years and wrote me huge, long letters witnessing to me about my lost state and need of Jesus. The amazing thing about my friend is he was a backslidden preachers kid and now he is a preacher himself. It took jail to wake him up. God doesn't waste anything!

Finally I submitted my life to Jesus and went to church for the first time since I was 8 years old when the Baptist bus picked me up for a few weeks. My husband and I went forward for salvation and were prayed for and we were asked if we wanted to receive the Holy Spirit, having no idea what that really was, we said yes, I suppose just because they said we needed it. They prayed over us and encouraged us to open our mouths and let the Lord fill it with a new language and it went on and on. I suppose out of embarassment we garbled a few sounds and they said we had recieved it. We both knew we really hadn't recieved anything. However, I continued to ask God if this was for real and something He wanted me to have to please fill me. Three nights later I was sound asleep and I sat bolt upright in the bed with my arms our cross fashion and what felt like electricity was charging through my body and I was speaking in a unknown language.

I know some might not agree with this and say all kinds of things about this experience, but I have to say that my life was radically changed from that moment on. I had what I can only describe as a big lump on love in my heart. It burned there for months. It oozed out to anyone I came in contact with and most of the people I was in contact with got saved. It truly was the power to witness.

My husband did not go on seeking for the fullness of the Spirit and after a year he backslid, but many years later I am still walking with the Lord. I attribute that to recieving the Holy Spirit. I can look back to that one event as monumental and so real that there is no question in my mind that He is real.
It has undergirded me.

I have read numerous books about the baptism of the HS and seen many different testimonies. I believe God meets us where we are. This was what I needed to have and God gave it to me. Someone else may recieve differently. All I know is my experience revolutionized my life and I became a loving mother and wife. I learned it isn't all about me, but in losing my life I find it. The more I give the more I recieve. That is a far cry from the self-centered brat I was before. Truly all things became new. I don't even recognise the person I was before 1976. She is a dead woman and I'm glad she is.

I thank God for my salvation for a young man converted in jail and for the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

2007/1/19 23:56Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is the purpose of the Holy Spirit?

This is the soul purpose of the Holy Spirit in power of bringing Christ Jesus into the believers mind and renew it to the Mind of Christ.

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 14:16-17 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

When will He be in you and why?

John 16:12-14 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Why did the Holy Spirit come. John 14:18-20 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Jesus Himself will come to live in us, that is The Spirit of Christ dwell in you", and the Holy Spirit will be the teacher of the things Jesus wanted to say to us and could not because we could not understand. This is the mystery Paul speaks about many times and it takes the teaching of the Holy Spirit to make it real to our minds, which we now have, "you have the Mind of Christ and how are we to know this Mind of Christ, by renewing our minds to the Mind of Christ by the teaching of the Holy Spirit.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

When did the Comforter come to those that believed that Jesus Christ is the Son of God?

John 16:7-8 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

It must be after Jesus is departed in His Assention.

50 days after that, the Holy Spirit came as Prayed for and Promised by Jesus Christ.

Acts 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

The purpose of the Holy Spirit already explained by Jesus, Now because they believe they are born again and are not baptized into the Holy Spirit by Him that has sent Him. That purpose to explain who Jesus Christ is and who He is and where He is because you believe. "The Mystery"

Colossians 1:26-28 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Speaking in all languages that were there declaring that Jesus Christ is the Son of God whom they crucified and giving witness to the Holy Spirit baptism of Believers into Christ and Christ baptism of the Holy Spirit promised.

In Christ: Phillip

Read John 14,15,16,17, and Acts 2

2007/1/20 3:17Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
Ive only been a christian for two years but now lately I sensed so much more to the Baptism than what the average church preachers.

One of the dilemas is that 'preachers' generally go down an either/or route so the old Holiness preachers used to concentrate on power to live a holy life, while the Pentecostal preachers tended to concentrate on power to witness.

Sometimes it can help to be a bit pedantic right at the beginning. This is not to criticise your question but just to make an important point. The Bible never uses the phrase 'Baptism of the Holy Spirit'. That phrase would imply that this 'Baptism in the Spirit's baptism' whereas the scripture constantly affirms that this is 'Christ's Baptism'. The biblical phrase is "Baptism in/by the Holy Spirit". This emphasises just what Christ baptises us into... the Spirit.

If you have the time to start from the bottom you might try [url=http://www.mybiblebase.com/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4]The Old Testament's hidden baptisms.[/url]

2007/1/20 4:22Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

Quote:

That phrase would imply that this 'Baptism in the Spirit's baptism' whereas the scripture constantly affirms that this is 'Christ's Baptism'. The biblical phrase is "Baptism in/by the Holy Spirit". This emphasises just what Christ baptises us into... the Spirit.

[color=6600CC]While the phrase baptism of the Holy Spirit may not be in the bible the below scripture says that Jesus baptises with the Holy Ghost. I see this meaning the same thing.[/color]

Luk 3:16 John answered, saying unto [them] all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

2007/1/20 9:11Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Luke 3:16 John answered , saying unto them all , I indeed baptize you with water ; but one mightier than I cometh , the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose : he shall baptize you with (en) the Holy Ghost and with fire :

en en en

a primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), i.e. a relation of rest (intermediate between 1519 and 1537); "in," at, (up-)on, by, etc.:--about, after, against, + almost, X altogether, among, X as, at, before, between, (here-)by (+ all means), for (... sake of), + give self wholly to, (here-)in(-to, -wardly), X mightily, (because) of, (up-)on, (open-)ly, X outwardly, one, X quickly, X shortly, (speedi-)ly, X that, X there(-in, -on), through(-out), (un-)to(-ward), under, when, where(-with), while, with(-in). Often used in compounds, with substantially the same import; rarely with verbs of motion, and then not to indicate direction, except (elliptically) by a separate (and different) preposition.

To stay with the rest of scripture this word "ev"
That is "in" would be a better and more comparable rendering.

Christ is the One doing the Baptism into the Holy Spirit.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/1/20 13:20Profile
Logic

Re:

There is, however, a "growing in grace" that the baptism of the Spirit begins.

[b]2Corinth 3:18[/b] [color=990000]But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from [b]glory to glory[/b], even as by the Spirit of the Lord.[/color]
This is telling us the process of sanctification, for as the "glory to glory" referes to this Mirror or Glass that reflect His Glory and Image, so are we to reflect His Glory and Image as we grow from one degree to another in sanctification as the Psalms sais, [b]Psalm 84:7[/b] [color=990000]They go from strength to strength, being seen in Zion before God.[/color]
The term "as from the Lord Spirit." Tells us that this is the work of the Holy Spirit.

The purification(baptism, sanctification, ect.) of fire we pass through is this:
[b]Zec 13:9[/b] [color=990000]And I will bring the third part through the fire, and I will refine them as silver is refined. And I will try them as gold is tried. They shall call on My name, and I will answer them. I will say, It is My people, and they shall say, Jehovah is my God.[/color]
[b]1Corinth 3:13,15[/b] [color=990000]the work of each will be revealed; for the Day will make it known, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire will prove the work of each, what sort it is.[/color]
[b]15:[/b] [color=990000]If the work of anyone shall be consumed, he shall suffer loss; but he will be saved, but so as through fire.[/color]
[b]1Peter 1:7[/b] [color=990000]so that the proving of your faith, much more precious than perishing gold, but having been proved through fire, may be found to praise and honor and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ;[/color]

My question is then, does the Holy Spirity bring this as I preseanted, or is this only the trials(fire) that all men go through; but christians surviveing because of the Holy Spirit is in them?

2007/1/20 13:33Profile

Re: Is Believing Conversion??

Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee [peter], that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

2007/1/20 16:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy