SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : Christian Rock Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

Quote:
I find it ironic that people say that rock music, rap, metal, and other forms are "the world's music," but in reality God created the talent of those who sing in each genre.

The question isn't who gave them the talent but what are they doing with it? The existence of talent has nothing to do with whether it glorifies Him or not.

This is a very tough issue, but here are some guidelines I think MUST be followed:

1. is it theologically sound?
2. is it about me and my feelings or about Him? Todd Friel likes to ask: "Could you sing it to your boyfriend/girlfriend?" If so, I'm guessing it's not much of a worship song :-)
3. is there a message clearly presented (both in substance AND style) that you can meditate on and actually truly worship Him?
4. does the style detract or distract from the words?
5. does the music draw you away from the wicked music you used to love or cause you to hang on a little bit longer?

I think the first two are pretty much set in stone for everybody. The latter three are very much personal conviction for each. Music is a very powerful thing, and I think we as followers of Christ need to seek the issue personally much more than we tend to do.

blessings

2007/1/22 23:39Profile

Re:

I think there is a tremendous amount wrong with the Christian Rock scene... and this coming from someone who listen to "some" of it. However, we need to use discernment. When CCM started in the late 60's early 70's I think the artists motives were much more pure than it is now. There was no money to made back then. Now CCM is a huge market, owned entirely by secular record companies (who wouldnt involve themselves if there wasnt money to be made), and much of the music lyrically is hardly distinctly Christian.

But I refuse to say it's evil as a musical form, or that all the artists are apostate. I dont know the artists, so I cant judge the condition of their hearts. All I can say is that if an artist puts out a CD with pictures of themselves in various poses as the CD artwork, and the lyrics are shallow and dont mention Jesus or scripture much... then I dont really care to listen to it.

If we replace secular idols with "Christian" idols... they're still idols, and God wont have anything to do with it.

But as for those of us who "over the years" have begun to listen to less and less Christian rock, and have begun to appreciate hymns... I think it's a mixture of becoming mature in Christ... and becoming physically older. When I was a kid, AC/DC was the only band in the world, as far as I was concerned. Of course, I dumped AC/DC when I got saved... but I wouldnt even consider that any other form of music was enjoyable at one time. Now that I'm gonna be 40 this year, I have grown to realize that there is so many valid forms of music out there.

And lately I have really been enjoying hymns a lot too.

I totally dislike homogenized Top40ish Christian pop that gets played on most Christian radio stations. It's so shallow and plastic. It all sounds the same after awhile. But then, I've never been one for that style of music anyway. Huey Lewis and the News was the closest I ever came to liking anything "pop". Huey was cool.

Krispy

2007/1/23 8:20

Re:

Lately... I've actually been listening to a lot of Black Gospel music lately. There is some really good stuff in that genre. Like any other Christian music, you have to beware of what you're listening too... I find it very inspiring and uplifting.

Krispy

2007/1/23 9:49
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

Here's an article titled, [url=http://www.av1611.org/othpubls/roots.html]The Satanic Roots Of Rock[/url].
Here's a quote Don Currin: "If we could come up with a rendition in the contemporary realm today of 'Amazing Grace' it would go like this, 'Amusing grace, How sensual the sound that entertained a seeker like me. I once was lost, but now I'm amused, was blind but now I'm deceived.'"
Growing up with one parent a Beatles fan and the other a Stones fan, my childhood and teenage years really evolved around music bigtime.
But the Lord has been very, very gracious. Throughout the years, I have been becoming dead to all worldly and secular-Christian music. I, as well, grew up playing musical instruments like piano, guitar and alto saxaphone. I was so into music. These days, Jesus is my music. Music used to have a sort of power over me, but Christ has set me free to serve Him in Spirit and in Truth. God draws us to Himself, and my music springs out of that.
Once in awhile, I might listen to a few Pillar songs, like once a month. But usually I turn it off have way through the first or second song. I think, "Why did I turn this on?"... becoming dead to the things of the flesh is all I can think of.
To each their own on the music stuff. I just know what God has done for me... Music was a hugh, hugh idol in my life even up to a few years ago. God is Jealous!!! Praise the Lord for His jealousy :-D
We are all at different levels... and I believe we should be growing more and more in grace... and this grace is Christ Jesus if we will abide in Him, He will abide in us.
Hope this helps a bit. The Father loves all His children soooooooooooo much!!! He cherishes the whole Body.
Let it be done according to your faith friend. He knows what He has gifted you for. I encourage you to spend much time in prayer every day.
May God bless you with Himself during the many weeks ahead,
richie

2007/1/23 13:09Profile

Re:

Uhmmm... lest we forget... most classical composers were anything [i]but[/i] godly men. Music has been used for evil as well as good for as long as man has been alive. Rock music is just the latest. But as Solomon said: [i]There is nothing new under the son.[/i]

One particular style is more godly than another? Mmmm... I tend to think not.

And I have never read anything about the roots of rock music that didnt work it's way back to Africa... and black people. If you ask me, I think the argument has a racist root to it. I read a Christian book a couple years ago about the roots of rock music... and the author actually asked if we want hymns written by godly men like Wesley... "or voodoo music brought over on slave ships?" Thats a quote.

This same author recommended Mozart to his Christian readers. Mozart... a fornicating, drunken drug addict. But no one suggests his music was evil. It's even encouraged and played in some churches.

White man's music good... black man's music bad.

Would make good Klan propoganda.

No one here can show me one verse in scripture that even indicates that one style of music is more holy than another. Motives, words, actions... yes. Style, no.

Krispy

2007/1/23 13:24
Yeshuasboy

Re:

But I don't mind the Blind Boys Of Alabama come to think of it. Got a cd around here somewhere.
Wouldn't catch me with any Robert Johnson though... Hellhound was on his trail :-o
Let us not put the Lord to the test,
richie

2007/1/23 14:16Profile

Re:

As Robert Johnson was waiting for a ride down at the Crossroads... Blind Willie Johnson was writing and recording some great gospel blues that is still being recorded today by folks like Glenn Kaiser and Darrell Mansfield.

But you dont here about Blind Willie.

Point is... while the devil was influencing Robert Johnson, God has His remnent. Blind Willie was a street musician and street preacher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_Willie_Johnson

(in this article it mentions that syphillis contributed to his death by pnuemonia... there is much speculation about the truth of this. He was a blind "negroe" in TX in the 1940's, and the white authorities would not have taken the time to do autopsies on someone like him. I'll give the man the benefit of the doubt.)

Krispy

2007/1/23 14:32
JayHil

Re: Christian Rock Music

Why in the world do we get so caught up on discussing this? One of George Barna's poles showed that the average Christian prays for 3 minutes everyday, and the average pastor prays for 7 minutes every day. Now if I'm a person who enjoys listening to some secular music every now and then, but my prayer life is on fire, do you think God is going to be angry with me because my feet begin tapping when I hear the Beatles? I'm a drummer, and I love playing worship music, but sometimes I get so wrapped up in the music that I forget what I'm singing. Do you think God gets angry when I do that? My brother, if you love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and strength and can pray as though God will actually answer you, if you can read his word as though it is really true then all of this really will not matter. You will be a radical lover of God, no make that a friend of God, no make that a son of God who happens to listen to entertainment now and then. I heard a quote recently that said something like "Jesus' first miracle was changing water into wine, and the evangelicals have been trying to change it back ever since." The point being Jesus did some things that we might not consider right for someone as holy as he was, but he was God. Do you really think Jesus would get caught up in all of this if he was here? God bless you all. Your brother in Christ, Jay

2007/1/25 21:09Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

I don't know if I can count all of the threads discussing the good, bad and ugly (and possible evil) about music -- whether christian, secular, instrumental or christian rock.

An important thing to interject:

Be open to seriously seeking God without bias or prejudice when contemplating this topic.

I know quite a few believers that would not be willing to consider changing -- either way -- even if the evidence pointed a certain direction. I feel that all believers should be willing to give up anything (including music) that they feel might possibly offend the Lord. At the same time, I feel that all believers should be willing to lay aside spiritual prejudices that might possibly be based upon the ideas of man instead of God.

Far too often, in my opinion, a spiritual search is conducted with pre-existing prejudices. When seeking an answer, we should not expect to find the Lord answer us, "MUSIC IS NEUTRAL" -or- "I DON'T LIKE SOME OF THIS." Rather, we should hope to hear the Lord lead us to an "axe that is laid to the root."

In my opinion, the problem with much of christian music is that it is not always meant to please the Lord. Instead, it is often an artist composing/writing a song meant to either please the [u]human[/u] listeners, or a song that pleases the artist himself/herself. I believe that skill is certainly required in spiritual songwriting, but it should take a backseat to passion, adoration and praise (and possibly, a message). There seems to be quite a few songs (from contemporary to worship) that are void of heartfelt emotion and have very little to really say.

There is also a grave danger, in my opinion, of young christians throughout America dreaming of local or national "stardom." How many churches today are filled with young people who idolize music over the Master? A church that I once attended stopped all of the programs for a month of prayer, fasting and consecration. Oddly enough, [u]many[/u] of the musicians (particularly amongst the young people) stopped attending during that time. Some actually left the church because they said that they didn't "feel appreciated for their music."

I am a musician. I play the guitar and the piano. I am far more concerned with whether or not the Lord is pleased with me (and my music) than whether or not people like it or appreciate it. I take far more pleasure finding a place where I can be alone (or simply in my prayer closet) and worship the Lord with a song.

:-)

2007/1/26 3:54Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
when i close my eyes and i see the saint of all the ages infront of the throne... and they are about to sing a song to his glory, i really dont think its going to be a christian rock song, but thats just me....

Amen to this quote brother :-D
richie

2007/1/26 4:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy