Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Witnessing at Work

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Witnessing at Work

I work at a public school as a computer tech.
I have been here 5 years and have never once witnessed to a single soul.I am getting more conviction day after day to start witnessing. My question is this: In the Lord's eyes,would he rather me witness on the job and risk getting fired or would he rather me witness in more subtle ways like how I act, who I hang around with and things of that nature. I also know that the latter is not neccessariy "witnessing".How should I go about letting people know that I love the Lord and also how much I care for their souls?
GOD Bless
John

2007/1/17 12:50Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Witnessing at Work

At my middle school we had a believers prayer meeting once a week before school, one of the science teachers was open about his Spiritual life and we approached him about using his room.

He didn't need to witness with words as much as by his actions and by supporting Christian students on campus. Just knowing that there was a teacher that believed the same as we did was a huge encouragement as a young Christian.

It might be enough to support Christian activities if they already exhist on campus, or you can leave Christian literature on your desk. You could even invite other teachers to a prayer meeting, or devotional time in your class.

It might not be smart to openly witness bible in hand to students, because there's no sense in losing your job when you can be just as strong a witness through your actions and in more subtle yet lasting ways. Also, there is no law against reaching out to your fellow teachers!

My mother is a elementary school teacher and a non believer, I wish there was a strong witness among her peers for Jesus Christ. But when I talk to her about her coworkers, she just talks about back biting, competativeness, personality conflicts and politics of the school.

If this is the situation in your staff room, and among your teachers, you may have a calling to stand in the gap there... shine the light of Jesus on your fellow teachers and show them how to live above the politics.

I'll pray for you that you can be an ambassador for Jesus in your School, through your words and actions, a witness as one who is daily bearing the burdens of others and encouraging them to live seeking to know Jesus!

2007/1/17 13:00Profile

Hehe. Brother, I talked about Jesus at work every day after I was saved. I had this grin, was more energitic than usual, and people would ask, so I'd tell them...

They'd smile condecendingly and say "It's really nice to see you 'searching' for truth..."

I'd respond, "Oh, no... I'm not 'searching', I've found it..."

Then all hell'd break loose. "So what you're telling me is because I'm into Wikka I'm going to hell? What about Buddha, is he going to hell? And what about Jonny and Tom, the gay guys that come in on Thursdays...?"

Mind you, you work at a school, and I was a bartender... but though I don't recommend doing anything dramatic, but Jesus did say:

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me... and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it" (MATT 10:37-39)

I ended up giving notice in December, and my last shift was New Year's Eve. Bartending's all I've ever done and I have no appreciable skills other than that. But the LORD calls and I must follow.

2007/1/17 17:55
tjservant

Indiana USA

Pray. The Lord will answer…and provide you with opportunities

Peace be with you

TJ

2007/1/17 18:43Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Hi John,

I'm not sure if this will answer your question 100% but I'd like to share my testimony with you. But first I'd like to say that I believe your witness of Christ is always more important that what you actually say about Him. You could be saying all the right things, but if you are not a living, breathing example of HIS image than no one is going to listen to you when it comes time to talk about HIM. Our witness is HIM living inside of us, not our ability to quote scipture or tell them about our awesome church.

I now work at a Christian school, and I am so blessed to be able to talk about the Lord every day, but that was not always the case. For years I worked in a secular corporation. Every day I would pray that the Lord would direct me and guide me. Some days I felt like the biggest heathen in the office. I left feeling so defeated and felt that I advanced the kingdomm of darkness more that the kingdom of Heaven. I often felt condemnation over my lack of ability to be an effective witness.

So often I'd look for ways to manipulate the conversation to talk about the Lord, but I could never find the courage to just bring HIS name up. But there was this one lady. She was my boss and every time I got around her, I would talk about Jesus. It was like a spring of water that just bubbled out of me. I never had to maniplate the conversation and actually I never even thought much about witnessing to her...I just did. It was like breathing. Sometimes I even felt alittle embarassed, not about Jesus, but about my endless talking everytime I'd get around her. I felt hyper...like I couldn't stop talking about HIM even if I wanted to.

Durnig prayer the Holy Spirit would remind me to pray for her, and then I'd pray for my other co-workers, but she was alway front and center. One night durning prayer I began to thank the Lord for the life HE would create in her. And in my mind I saw her in a glorious new body...almost like I would image an angel. Then I really thought I was losing it and instead of thanking the Lord for allowing me to reach her, I was more upset that I didn't seem to have the same passion for my other co-workers.

A few weeks after that particular prayer, I went to work to find out that I'd been fired. My boss told me the news in tears. I was actually relieved to hear the news, but I knew I'd miss the friendship I had found in her.

Exactly a month after I'd been fired, I received a call from human resources to tell me that my Boss and friend, Julie Michaud died tragically while on vacation with her family in California. She was only 35 years old and the mother of a 6 year old girl and 3 year old boy. I miss her so much, but I know that I will see her again in glory.

I share this with you because I believe whole-heartidly now that HE does the work in us. We just need to be willing to surrender everyday to HIM and HE will do that work the needs to be done.

2007/1/17 22:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I work for myself and this is one of the reasons I do, but I would think just by the way you carry yourself or your actions could possibly be enough as for as witnessing at work if you thought it might jeopardize you job, I think there are many ways a person can witness at the work place without having a sermon the lunch room. :-)

2007/1/17 23:37Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

Wow..what an amazing testimony tinluke! I am very grateful that you have shared that with us.
What a sad turn of events that played out with you being fired and your boss dying, but how could you not know the role you played in leading her to the Lord!
Sadly,last year, many friends of my family who I met at bithday parties of either my children or my relatives, have died unexpectedly. I think back, if only I could have been more open about the Lord to them,who knows how eternity may have been for them. Still, I stay in my quietness.I pray it doesnt take another tragedy for me to share my Jesus.
GOD Bless
John

2007/1/18 9:25Profile

Re:

I think in a public school you need to be tactful. As scripture says [b]Mat 10:16[/b] [i]"Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."[/i]

Personally, I do not think that an employee of the public school system should be required to surrender their constitutional rights of free speech and freedom to practice your religious beliefs at the front door of the school. But in todays climate, if you ignore the "laws" (which in my opinion are unconstitional), you could lose your job. Then you could decide to sue the school district, and so on and so forth.

Personally I think there are ways of witnessing in the public school that would not get you "into trouble". Take a look at Jesus... we were just discussing last night in our Bible study that Jesus shared a tremendous amount of truth with those who He knew were really searching and listening. Nichodemus, for example in John 3. Jesus unloaded a boat load of truth on him. BUT... when people asked Him questions who were more interested in entrapping Him, or werent seriously listening to Him, He shared very little truth.

So in a public school setting you need to exercise discernment and wisdom. Dont go making trouble for yourself by witnessing to kids who arent really searching. With them, live a holy life and let that be your witness. But if kids come to you who are really searching, and serious, then it's safe to share the Truth that is within you.

And if you get fired... so what? You serve a big God owns the cattle on a thousand hills. In China people are shot in the head for witnessing. Losing a job in the US when the economy is flourishing is but a very small form of persecution.

Krispy

2007/1/18 11:02
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I work at a public school as a computer tech.

So do I! I go to the student's bathroom and teachers bathrooms and leave gospel tracts.

2007/1/18 13:51Profile
ilive4only1

Texas

Re:

Thank you for such a wonderful testimony. These are some of the same questions that I have been asking myself. Am I being an effective witness at work? It has become such a burden to me that often times I have felt that I would be better off at home.
I work in a hospital and have witnessed to many of my coworkers. One of them actually has become a Christian and has started coming to services at our church. I witnessed to one of my coworkers a couple of months ago, and I knew the Lord was using me to witness to her because of how it came about.

A couple of days later when I saw her she seemed very cold and stand offish to me. I felt in my spirit that even though she was fine with it then, somewhat later (for what ever reasons) she was offended. The next day I got an email from my boss to restrain from talking about religion or politics at work.
So now, I'm wary of should I or shouldn't I witness on company time. When is it appropriate? I know to wait for the right is the way to go like tinluke said, but now I feel as if I'm being a coward. What is the right thing to do?

2007/1/22 13:27Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy