Online!
 1869 letter from General Booth

[b]To the Brethren and Sisters
Labouring for JESUS[/b]
[i]by General William Booth[/i]
letter, published in The East London Evangelist , 1 April 1869
'TO THE BRETHREN AND SISTERS LABOURING FOR JESUS'
in connection with the Dunedin Hall Christian Mission, Edinburgh

BELOVED FRIENDS Though I have not been privileged to see you in the flesh, yet I have heard with great thankfulness from time to time of your work of faith and labour of love: and I rejoice greatly in the abundant blessing granted to your labours, and bless God for every brand plucked from the everlasting through your instrumentality. I earnestly pray that you may be made a hundredfold more useful in the future than you have been in the past. The work in which you are engaged is the most important that can engage the attention or call forth the energies of any being...

Success in soulwinning, like all other work, both human and divine, depends on certain conditions... If you want to succeed you must be careful to comply with these conditions...

I desire to give a few brief practical hints...And, first and foremost, I commend one qualification which seems to involve all others. That is, the Pentecostal baptism of the Holy Ghost. I would have you settle it in your souls for ever this one great immutable principle in the economy of grace, that spiritual work can only be done by those who possess spiritual power. No matter what else you may lack, or what may be against you, with the Holy Ghost you will succeed; but without the Holy Spirit, no matter what else you may possess, you will utterly and eternally fail.

Many make mistakes here. Aroused by the inward urgings of the Holy Spirit, they endeavour to comply with the call which comes from the word and the necessities of their fellow men; but being destitute of this power, they fail, and instead of going to the Strong for strength, they give up in despair. Again aroused, again they resolve and venture forth, but having no more power than before, they are as impotent as ever. And fail they must, until baptised with power from on high.

This I am convinced, is the one great need of the Church. We want no new truths, agencies, means, or appliances. We only want more of the fire of the Holy Ghost. ...

O what zeal, what selfdenial, what meekness, what boldness, what holiness, what love, would there not be? And with all this, what power for your great work? The whole city would feel it. God's people in every direction would catch the fire, and sinners would fall on every side. Difficulties would vanish, devils be conquered, infidels believe, and the glory of God be displayed...

You do desire to see signs and wonders wrought in the name of Jesus. To see a great awakening among the careless crowds around you....

This baptism then, is your first great need. If you think with me, will you not tarry for it? Offer yourselves to God for the fullness. Lay aside every weight...

Hold on! Though your feelings are barren, your way dark, and your difficulties be multiplied, steadily hang on the word of God.

Expect the baptism every hour; wait if he tarry. 'This kind goeth not forth but by prayer and fasting'; and the Lord whom you seek shall suddenly come to his temple.

I have more to say to you, but must wait another opportunity. Yours in the fellowship of the Gospel.

WILLIAM BOOTH

2004/2/25 20:55Profile
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re: 1869 letter from General Booth

Hi Greg,
I know Ron will be thrilled that you've featured one of his childhood friends on the site. When you quoted Gen. Booth as saying:

"I desire to give a few brief practical hints...And, first and foremost, I commend one qualification which seems to involve all others. That is, the Pentecostal baptism of the Holy Ghost. I would have you settle it in your souls for ever this one great immutable principle in the economy of grace, that spiritual work can only be done by those who possess spiritual power. No matter what else you may lack, or what may be against you, with the Holy Ghost you will succeed; but without the Holy Spirit, no matter what else you may possess, you will utterly and eternally fail."

The truth never changes, does it Bro.?
Clutch ;-)

Acts 10:38 "How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him."

Mark 16:17-20 "17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 ¶ So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen."

2004/2/25 22:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi Clutch
you wrote Hi Greg,
I know Ron will be thrilled that you've featured one of his childhood friends on the site. When you quoted Gen. Booth as saying:

If you listen to his sermon on this site here you will find that young William pretty much modelled his preaching style on mine.

2004/2/26 3:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy