SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should Christians be bothered by their age?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
kathyclark

Alabama

Should Christians be bothered by their age?

I have seen repeatedly where believers are bothered by getting older. Doesn't this stem from pride and vanity? What would be a good reason for it?

2007/1/11 22:00Profile
Compton

Re: Should Christians be bothered by their age?

Quote:
Doesn't this stem from pride and vanity?

Possibly. Certainly American pop culture is infamous for it's plastic surgery industry. But to be fair, there are other reasons people don't enjoy getting older besides vanity. For one thing, the ole' bod doesn't always work as well as it ages. If young people think having their car break down is inconvenient...wait till the warranty on their Earthsuit starts to expire.

Even so we keep it all in eternal perspective for though our outward man perish,...the inward man is renewed day by day.

MC

2007/1/11 22:15Profile
kathyclark

Alabama

Re: Should Christians be bothered by their age?

It seems to go even further than just the body breaking down.

Society, at least in the USA, projects youth as the highest attainment. Elderly are becoming viewed increasingly as having little value. I think this is a great loss to the body of Christ. The wisdom and maturity that strengthens the body is ignored as irrelevent.

Case in point. I know a pastor who has been put out to pasture to bring in the younger guys. I am not disgruntled in this, it is just an observation. I don't even go to that church. I have opportunity to sit at his table in a restaurant time to time and glean the treasures that he has gathered over the years, but his congregation doesn't want to hear what he has to say because they want what is new. They don't realize what a blessing he is. He has the most awesome testimonies of healing from tuberculosis, dipheria and much more. He has a fire shut up in his bones for the word of God. But when you talk to some others from his fellowship you don't see them honoring him the way he should be honored.

I can't help but feel this stems from the devaluation of the elderly and the desire many have for fountain of youth.

I am not elderly so it isn't sour grapes, but I have heard preachers say we need to honor our spiritual fathers and mothers to recieve all God has for us. That just as the church is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets each successive generation adds to the next one. That is why Sermonindex is so awesome. It seeks to preserve the treasures that our fathers have laid up for us.

If every one of our days is planned by our creator we should be greatful that we were born according to His plan and will age according to His plan.

Thanks SI :-)

2007/1/11 23:41Profile
Compton

Re:

I probably misunderstood your inquiry here...I thought you were discussing how Christians have misguided melancholy over their own aging.

I'm in complete agreement with you that our culture devalues age and wisdom with an obsession for all thing young, new, and trendy. Considering the value and benifits of experience it's very heartbreaking...especially when we find a culture-sponge church that has absorbed these values.

On this account, SI is a spring in the desert!

Blessings!

MC

2007/1/12 0:39Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re: Aging Christians

Regarding aging Christians. . . I've noticed that God often delights in working in [i]opposites[/i]. He loves using weak vessels, and even prefers them, I believe. Common sense would say that God "can't use" elderly Christians as much as young ones. . . but He loves to burst ordinary thinking and prove it wrong.

The biography of Mary Slessor, for instance, is amazing. There she was, an aging spinster, certainly not worth much in the world's eyes! Yet God used her mightily to establish His church in Africa. . .

2007/1/12 1:16Profile

Re:

One of my favorite pastimes is people watching. I've always noticed that truly beautiful women are as beautiful at eighty as they (I imagine) were in their twenties. For me, it's a matter of character and love, and now faith. You can always tell if a woman has a good husband if she glows in old age... and I love seeing an old couple holding hands in a restaurant, still as in love as the day they got married....

I've always hoped I'd be a better old man than I was a young man...

I think Christians too worried about their looks and age have one foot in the world and one foot in the kingdom. Egypt's "ideal" age was thirty. Rome and Greece valued youth. A Christian's immortal: so what's the big deal about aging?

-Corey

2007/1/12 1:45
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Re: Should Christians be bothered by their age?

Well said Corey.

2007/1/12 8:25Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I am not concerned about being 55 or getting older it only means I am getting closer to seeing my Savior. :-)

2007/1/12 8:37Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

MC wrote:

Quote:
If young people think having their car break down is inconvenient...wait till the warranty on their Earthsuit starts to expire.

Thanks for the laugh! I loved it!

Oh, yeah, my top is getting white and now that I am resigned to it, I am actucally pleased with it! LOL

ginnyrose

2007/1/13 17:49Profile

Re:

MC wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If young people think having their car break down is inconvenient...wait till the warranty on their Earthsuit starts to expire.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get cross that my body doesn't respond as well as it used to, and that, after being very thin and active until the age of 40 I'm getting gradually plumper and less active every year (can't run upstairs two at a time any more!) Having to wear spectacles is also a nuisance.

Its nice to be over the menopause (except for the pesky flushes) but I don't look forward to increasing stiffness and aches and pains that tend to come with age.

Apart for those inconveniences I love being the age I am, and praise God for reasonable health and strength!

Moses was fit as a fiddle till he was 120 - that really would be great - unless it included having to lead a million or so (or however many it was - never could remember numbers) quarrelsome complaining people :-(

Jeannette

2007/1/26 20:23

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy