SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Wretched man that I am

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Wretched man that I am

Two years ago as I was leaving a small store I noticed an older gentleman changing a flat tire in the parking lot. I remember him because of his attire. He had on long shorts, you know the modern style that comes well over the knee. He was also wearing a very hip shirt and sandals. I’m not saying older guys(in his mid sixties I guess) should not dress in modern styles, it just stuck out to me. When I got home I felt bad. I had not offered to help this man out. I had not even thought about it. I was very busy and just simply did not think to help, he was almost done after all.

Did I commit a sin by not helping this man?

He was in need and I just went right on by. We are commanded to love our neighbors as ourselves. I chose to serve myself and not my fellow man. I was anything, but a servant. I did not do the Christian thing.

I believe I will always have my faults; I’m a long way from perfect. I’m a Berean (Acts 17:11) when it comes to Bible matters and I test everything, but there are many things in the Bible that still have me some what puzzled..

I often look back to that day in the parking lot. I so wish I would have helped that man.

It’s the conflict of two natures.

Romans 7:15 (New American Standard Bible)

15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
16But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with (C)the Law, confessing that the Law is good.
17So now, (D)no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
18For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my (E)flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.
19For (F)the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
20But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, (G)I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
21I find then (H)the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
22For I joyfully concur with the law of God in (I)the inner man,
23but I see (J)a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the (K)law of my mind and making me a prisoner of (L)the law of sin which is in my members.
24Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from (M)the body of this (N)death?
25(O)Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh (P)the law of sin.

It’s our fallen nature from Adam that dwells in us. I pray that I never intentionally avoid helping someone in need, but that day it just happened. I feel this war he speaks of.

I interpret these scriptures to be talking about this type of situation. It’s none intentional sin…so to speak. I hate it when I fall short, but look at the next few verses.

Romans 8:1-10 (New American Standard Bible)

1Therefore there is now no (A)condemnation for those who are (B)in (C)Christ Jesus.
2For (D)the law of the Spirit of life in (E)Christ Jesus (F)has set you free from the law of sin and of death.
3For (G)what the Law could not do, (H)weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in (I)the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh,
4so that the (J)requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who (K)do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on (L)the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, (M)the things of the Spirit.
6(N)For the mind set on the flesh is (O)death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
7because the mind set on the flesh is (P)hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
8and those who are (Q)in the flesh cannot please God.
9However, you are not (R)in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God (S)dwells in you But (T)if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
10(U)If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

It’s the conflict of two natures.

I’m not referring to blatant sin that some claim to be free from, and not accountable for, through grace. That is using Grace as a license to sin. That is not walking in the light.
I’m speaking of …well the situation I had in the parking lot.

Only one man walked this Earth without sin. Jesus Christ. For me to personally say “I don’t sin” would be a lie. I don’t sin on purpose. The sin I have is unintentional, but is it not still considered sin?

Oh wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from this body of death?

Romans 8:2
2For (D)the law of the Spirit of life in (E)Christ Jesus (F)has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

I am free from condemnation, but the fight still remains.

God Bless

TJ

2007/1/9 16:13Profile
myfirstLove

Re: Wretched man that I am

do you believe that the Lord was leading you to be a witness to this man? there are so many things daily that we can do to help others. it would wear us out trying to help all that we see who need help.

Jesus said, he only did what He saw the Father do.

art katz has a great teaching about this. i forget the title, but he talks about how people are so wrapped up in good works, thinking they have to help everybody that they think need help, instead of learning to be lead by the Spirit and doing ONLY what we see the Father doing.

do you believe that this incident was causing a real war in you? or could it be something that is ingrain in many christians today by many leaders that you got to be always about good works or else you are in sin?

2007/1/9 17:44Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Oh boy. No. Not at all. This was an isolated event. I very much agree with you and Mr. Katz. I was just pointing out a possible way to view these scriptures. I apparently fell short.

I hope others don’t take it has a problem.

God Bless

TJ

2007/1/9 18:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy