Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Revival in the Midst of Judgment

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hisremnant

North Central Indiana

Revival in the Midst of Judgment

Praise Jesus!!

i initially was going to make these comments in response to the predictions of Pat Robertson.

Instead i will do it this way. i submit my remarks with all humility. i do not claim to have all the answers and i remain teachable.

There seems to be some difference of opinion and understanding of God and HIS word when it comes to judgment, HIS use of prophets and their part in revival.

This site is first and foremost dedicated to revival. This is my prayerful desire and i am sure it is in the hearts of most here.

i think therefore it is time to address how God brings about revival. If we read the Book of Judges paying close attention we will see a definite pattern.

1. BACKSLIDING
2. JUDGMENT
3. REPENTANCE
4. REVIVAL

This pattern is repeated time after time not only in that book but throughout the scriptures.

We in America somehow believe that we desire revival but don't deserve judgment. God never worked that way before and HE won't start now.

Yes , we live under a New Covenant but the same God is still on HIS throne. HE has not changed. He still deals with sin and sinners in the same manner that HE always has. We now have an Atonement, Advocate, High Priest and (example) in Jesus. However those who do not believe and repent are still living under Gods wrath, dependent upon HIS mercy.

Gods use of prophets has always been to warn. God knows that in order to be just HE needs to warn backsliders before HE judges them. The prophets job has always been to call for repentance. To point out the depravity of Gods subjects and to call them back to righteousness.

Here again God does not change. The true prophets now do the same as the prophets of old. And they are dealt with in much the same way by those who reject them. Most will seek teachers of myths for their itching ears.

As Ravenhill often said if God did not judge America HE would have to apologize to Sodom. This may touble those who have a spirit of nationalism but it is truth. The Word also says to whom much is given, much is required. No nation in the history of mankind has been given more than America. Historically we have given much back. That has changed.

This nation today by any biblical standards is backslidden beyond description. To believe that God can continue to ignore this situation is to deny the existence of God.

i truly believe that we are in the last moments of the Last Days. i am not saying that Gods wrath is kindled only against America. No HIS wrath is against all who are in rebellion. Unfortunately America is the most strategically important nation on the planet. Things that happen here have global signifigance. Thus many of the things prophesied to occur will emanate from America.

i will close by saying that i don't intend for my remarks to be inflamatory or a point of useless strife and contention. If it becomes such or is used in that manner i will not participate.

i thank all who read this and welcome considerate and prayerful comments.

Blessings Hisservant rich

Matthew 4:17

2007/1/8 9:00Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Revival in the Midst of Judgment

You make some good points here, one thing in particular caught my attention...

Quote:
...i think therefore it is time to address how God brings about revival. If we read the Book of Judges paying close attention we will see a definite pattern. 1. BACKSLIDING 2. JUDGMENT 3. REPENTANCE 4. REVIVAL This pattern is repeated time after time not only in that book but throughout the scriptures...

I believe that this would teach us that mere reviving is not the real answer. God must awaken His people to be alive to His larger purpose, not merely awakenings and revivings for themselves.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/1/8 9:23Profile
hisremnant

North Central Indiana

Re:

Praise Jesus!!

The point i am attempting to make is. Many claim to be desirous of revival and i am not sure that this is possible without a degree of (perhaps severe) correction/judgment. To me it seems that in order to fulfill the if:

2ch 7:14 if my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways;

and see the then

then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

we must have our hands held to the fire. i hope i am wrong but this seems to be the biblical model.

2007/1/8 17:26Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

bro Rich
praise God indeed!this is some pretty heavy stuff you're talking about here if we can chew on it and and be honest with ourselves.

Quote:
1. BACKSLIDING
2. JUDGMENT
3. REPENTANCE
4. REVIVAL

this patter is seen not only in the book of Judges but it seems to me that this is the theme of God's dealings with man as it pertains to revival since He began dealing with us. The need for revival is because of backsliding from where we once were and we need to be jarred awake by judgment so we can repent of our sins and then be revived. the word "revive" speaks to me of bringing life from death and we need that alright...

Quote:
We in America somehow believe that we desire revival but don't deserve judgment. God never worked that way before and HE won't start now.

herein is the oxymoron, revival requires repentance and at this stage only judgment will bring this about for most people. indeed we oft say God is the same yesterday, today and forever...at least concerning all things except judgment anyway.

Quote:
Gods use of prophets has always been to warn. God knows that in order to be just HE needs to warn backsliders before HE judges them. The prophets job has always been to call for repentance. To point out the depravity of Gods subjects and to call them back to righteousness.

indeed, the prophet always comes about with a word of warning for the most part. this word goes out to the very people of God who as we have seen through the word, reject the warning for many differing reasons. some think they're above reproach, others are comfortable in their sin and don't want to change or maybe it may just be the thought that "nah, this can't be from God"etc. Jonah was an exception in that he got sent to a gentile nation or a people outside the congregation, prophets are sent by God to God's people.

Quote:
Here again God does not change. The true prophets now do the same as the prophets of old. And they are dealt with in much the same way by those who reject them. Most will seek teachers of myths for their itching ears.

this is part of the reason, words which aren't so hard to swallow. sweet words which fail to expose the sin and danger one is in from backsliding. complacency comes to mind.

Quote:
As Ravenhill often said if God did not judge America HE would have to apologize to Sodom. This may touble those who have a spirit of nationalism but it is truth. The Word also says to whom much is given, much is required. No nation in the history of mankind has been given more than America. Historically we have given much back. That has changed.

this is true, i think that one can't be a good American unless He is a good Christian first and then allows his awareness of who he is in God dictate how he conducts himself as it concerns America. for some, America is an idol placed before God which must be cast down since God will not share His glory with anyone or anything for that matter. to be a Christian nation is a very grave thing since we are held by God to a much higher standard than the heathen.

Quote:
i truly believe that we are in the last moments of the Last Days. i am not saying that Gods wrath is kindled only against America. No HIS wrath is against all who are in rebellion. Unfortunately America is the most strategically important nation on the planet. Things that happen here have global signifigance. Thus many of the things prophesied to occur will emanate from America.

i do too, judgement is upon us and upon the world. when our economy drops, it WILL affect everyone since we buy more stuff than any other country.

the good thing is we will come to repentance and it is better to suffer some on this side than to suffer for all eternity.

sometimes i wonder if people REALLY want prophets to come through, it seems they weren't too popular coz of the messages of repentance and judgment. i wonder also if we realize that revival requires repentance and dying to self so we can be revived.

either way it's coming!!!

maranatha!

2007/1/8 22:42Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

As I was thinking upon this matter some ideas came up that I would like to share here. In particular the following verses come to mind...
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
(Rom 2:4)

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
(2Pe 3:9)
It is God's goodness that is intended bring about repentance because it highlights the depth of our rebellion in the light of His towering mercy.

Mercy tends to soften the heart whereas judgment tends to harden the heart-I think of Pharoah and those suffering God's wrath in the Tribulation. It is the patience of God, even in the midst of such an evil generation as our own, that softens and melts the heart.

Notice it says that the goodness of God [i]leads[/i] sinners to repentance. I thank God that He doesn't drive us like animals, he leads us and allures us.
Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her.
(Hos 2:14)

The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.
(Jer 31:3)

In Christ,

Ron

2007/1/9 8:43Profile
hisremnant

North Central Indiana

Re:

Praise Jesus!!
Ron wrote:
It is God's goodness that is intended bring about repentance because it highlights the depth of our rebellion in the light of His towering mercy.

Very good point Ron. I always think however of HIS rod and HIS staff which comfort me. HIS rod of correction and HIS staff of guidance.
we need both i think. When we stay close to HIM we will rarely see the rod.

2007/1/9 20:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy