SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Images

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Nasher

Watford, UK

Images

Following on from eagleswings thread in the lounge and looking at the link he posted, is it wrong to make any film or have any children's book that contain images of Christ?

The scripture that speaks loudest (to me) is:

Exodus 20:4
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

2004/2/24 6:57Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re: Images

Exodus 20:4
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

I think it's also important to read that verse together with the next verse noting particularly the cause for the commandment.

Exodus 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself unto them, nor serve them, for I Jehovah thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation of them that hate me.

If you have any images/idols (& not only physical ones) which would lead God to jealousy than obviously they are wrong.

Also note that if you take Exodus 20:4 out of its context then it means you can't have almost any form of art.

2004/2/24 9:38Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: Images

In re-reading the Bennett and Dunbar post concerning the controversial film and studying the footnotes, I was amazed to see something I’d never seen before. For me, it embedded the second commandment into further Scriptural revelation, and thus was a beautiful illustration of the fact that Scripture interprets Scripture.

It concerns a particular (Greek) word in the following three passages of Scripture. The word is enthumesis and Vine’s Expository Dictionary

http://www.menfak.no/bibel/vines.html

gives the following definition of the word:

1,,1761,enthumesis
"a cogitation, an inward reasoning" (generally, evil surmising or supposition), is formed from en, "in," and thumos, "strong feeling, passion" (cp. thumoo, in the Middle Voice, "to be wroth, furious"); Eng., "fume" is akin; the root, thu---, signifies "to rush, rage." The word is translated "device" in Acts 17:29, of man's production of images; elsewhere, "thoughts," Matt. 9:4; 12:25; Heb. 4:12, where the accompanying word ennoia denotes inward intentions, See THOUGHT.

Acts 17:29
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

The word is also used in Romans 1:24, where homosexuality is seen to be a consequence of idolatry (making images of God being the substituting and presenting of man’s creations in place of the Creator who, in the second commandment, forbids such making of representations of Himself).

Romans 1:24
Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the desires of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

It takes a little thought to really get the force of Bennett and Dunbar’s analysis of idolatry which may be found in paragraphs 2 through 5 of their article on “The Passion of Christ”, which is why I’ve included the endnotes for easy referencing. They’re most useful if checked out and read each step of the way.

“The Church of Rome has done much to lead modern Evangelicalism into making images of the Lord. Like the Catholics, many Evangelicals today seem not even to be aware that such activity is idolatrous. The Apostle Paul emphasizes the fact that idolatry involves exchanging the glory of the incorruptible God for an image made like corruptible man. [1] And as he also stated to the Athenians, “ forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, silver, or stone, graven by art or man's device . ” [2]

“Christ Jesus is a member of that Godhead. He told the religious leaders, “ I said therefore unto you, that you shall die in your sins: for if you believe not that I am he , you shall die in your sins .” [3] By using the expression “I AM”, the Lord identifies Himself as the God revealed in the Old Testament, the “I AM THAT I AM”, the self-existing, eternal God who spoke to Moses [4] and gave the Ten Commandments from Mount Sinai. The Second Commandment totally prohibits making material representations of His person. [5] In creating images of Christ in books, videotapes, films, stained glass windows and other artistic mediums - all things of “ man's devise ” - men have gone beyond Scripture in their attempt to add to the biblical revelation of who Christ is. The Lord God explicitly warned against adding to His written Word [6] and He warns just as explicitly against adding visual images of the Godhead. [7]

”Creating a visual representation of the Lord Jesus, by definition, is to portray “another Jesus”. The Lord Jesus in His Person, character, and work is divine and perfect. No Savior other than the One proclaimed in Scripture is permissible. [8] Those who claim they are only depicting the humanity of Jesus Christ fall into the grievous heresy of Nestorius, as they wrongly attempt to divide the humanity from the deity of Christ, ending up with idols produced by the imaginations of their own hearts.

”The Lord God gave believers a Wordbook, not a picture book. The Gospel is at stake—for the Scripture states that “ faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. ” [9] The Gospel is the power of God unto salvation as it is written, read, preached, and spoken one to another. The power of the Word is that it is God's revealed propositional truth . Rather than subjective imaginations created by man, “ The word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. ” [10] It is God's revealed propositional truth that has the power to change the hearts and minds of those who live in the darkness of their own imaginations, for His light through the Written Word will shine on their evil hearts and the thoughts and deeds that flow from them. It is through this method that they will be convicted of their need for a true Savior and ready for the Gospel of God's grace alone in which to trust by faith alone. The visual works of a man's devising, for all their emotional power, are too dull a tool to bring to the individual conviction of sin and the explicit Gospel of grace that the Written Word and the truth preached bring.”

Endnotes

[1] Romans 1:22-2 3 “Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, and changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.” Vv. 24-25, which follow, are instructive, especially in light of the scandals that have rocked the RCC in the past several years, “Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves: Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator…”

[2] Acts 17:29 . Bolding in any quote indicates emphasis added in this paper.

[3] John 8:24

[4] Exodus 3:14

[5] Exodus 20:4, Deuteronomy 4:12-16

[6] Deuteronomy 4:2; 12:32; Proverbs 30:6 and Revelation 22:1

[7] Exodus 20:4-5; Deuteronomy 4:5-28

[8] II Corinthians 11:4

[9] Romans 10:17.

[10] Hebrews 4:12.

2004/2/25 11:13Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

We are mixing up apples and oranges here.

A film is a work of art.
An idol is an object of worship.

2004/2/25 11:24Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy