Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Beth-lehem

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: even now

Something I am reaching out to take hold of amidst all that this life before God is, amidst all the struggles without and within...

[b][color=000000] I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.[/color][/b]

In place of [b]goodness[/b], I could read

revival amongst His people and those around me

the certain and unbroken awareness and presence of His Holy Spirit within

rivers of His love and mercy pouring out on millions

2007/1/6 14:38Profile
wurldpix

Re:

Roniya, I've never noticed that free course part, thx, very filling!!!

you had said"Here is the verse that the Lord gave me a couple days ago to meditate on:
"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you." 2 Thess. 3:1
What spoke to me about this passage was 'is the Word of God having free course in my life? Am I obeying what I read? Or just skipping the passages I don't care for? Is God's Word having it's way in my heart and life?'"

2007/1/6 15:55Profile

Re: ChrisJD on David and his men

Quote:
David therefore departed thence, and escaped to the cave Adullam: and when his brethren and all his father's house heard it, they went down thither to him.
And every one that was [b]in distress[/b], and every one that was [b]in debt[/b], and every one that was [b]discontented[/b], gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men.

Just wanted to bring this passage back up. I love this description of what later became David's mighty men. Distress, debt, discontented! From man's point of view this had to be a motley group, but because of their weakness God could use them and make them into mighty men (2 Samuel 23:8-39).
Quote:
I think, doesn't that sound alot like us who have followed after the Lord Jesus?

Just as brother Chris said about the need of many of us, God will take and use those who humble themselves and recognize their weakness and neediness before God.

Some excerpts from brother Greg's [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14082&forum=16&5]recent article[/url]:

Quote:
[b]Christ uses the weak to shame the wise, the poor to usurp the rich, the meek to overpower the strong, the persecuted to give a manifest token of the perdition of ungodly men.[/b] It has been said that from the beginning with Adam and Eve that Satan desires for us to utilize our soulish capabilities rather then depend on the Spirit of God. This was the first subtlety and it continues to our day. [b]God uses the unusable still![/b] A.W. Tozer spoke prophetically of a generation of popular preachers that would in lead the masses of Christianity into spiritual weakness. [b]We need a revival where God uses the weak once again so that His strength may be shown. When we are weak we are truly strong![/b]

Also,
Quote:
William Cowper said "Satan trembles when he sees the [b]weakest saint upon his knees[/b]."

2007/1/6 17:40

Re: 2 Thessalonians 3- the Word of the Lord

I wanted to share the rest of the verses from the passage that I first brought up:

"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.
But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ." 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5

2007/1/6 17:47
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Something from pondering the things of God while walking through the city tonight...

[b][color=000000]...which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000]Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.[/color][/b]

From what I have read and have known about religon and piety amongst other groups, such as the Hindus, or Budhists, or Islamists, some of them have much in the way of what could be called [i]will worship[/i] and self-denial, and are very zealous in their activities and for thier beliefs. Some of them may even have much in that regard over most of us. I would not doubt it.

This past summer on saturday nights, coming home from sharing the Gospel, I'd see this same man, a Hare Krishna(if memory serves correctly) seated on the train, eyes closed, chanting or speaking what I suppose were prayers. I spoke with him some and he was friendly enough to have some small conversation. I very much remember how dilligent he was in these prayers, if that is what they were.

Brothers and sisters, what a tremendous thought it is, to think that we may have a...

...[i][b][color=000000]zeal of God, but not according to knowledge[/color][/b][/i]

Remember how the prophets of Baal cut themselves, crying out to their god? A thing which, unless I am mis-informed, some of the Islamists do, to this day. K.P. Yohannan tells a heart-breaking story of a Christian worker who came to tell a weeping woman about the good news of Christ, and who found out that the woman had just offered her child to the god of the river ghanges in an effort, as I recall it, to gain forgiveness of sins.

Some time ago I noticed a flyer posted around the campus of U of Penn that told the story of a woman who had appearantly set herself ablaze in an act of protest, right there on the campus. What a heavy thing to ponder. Certainly it took courage.

And yet, the Scripture says of that very thing, that without love, it will profit a person nothing.

What a grave thing to consider!

How thankfull ought the Christian to be, that our zeal, is not [i][b][color=000000]without knowledge[/color][/b][/i]!!

The Prophet Jeremiah declares

[b][color=000000]Thus saith the Lord, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the Lord which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the Lord.[/color][/b]

...[b][color=000000]that he understandeth and knoweth me[/color][/b]

We may not know, no, we certainly do not, know, all that there is to know about God, but we have been given enough to know Who to call upon, Who it is that can truely hear, and that can truely see!! Praise God!

[b][color=660033] It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] I have declared, and have saved, and I have shewed, when there was no strange god among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith the Lord, that I am God.[/color][/b]

Praise God! Praise and thanks be to God indeed!

2007/1/7 22:30Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Something which stood out to me earlier this morning...

[b][color=000000]And Nabal answered David's servants, and said, Who is David? and who is the son of Jesse? there be many servants now a days that break away every man from his master.[/color][/b]

2007/1/13 23:15Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: our Life

[b][color=000000]That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey his voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto him: for he is thy life, and the length of thy days...[/color][/b]

[i]-Deuteronomy 30:20[/i]

[i]that thou mayest cleave unto him[/i]

Anyone else learning to depend upon the Lord, to take Him as your all in all, to say of Him, 'Thou art my very life'?

With all my heart
With all my soul
I live to worship you and
praise forever more
praise forever more
LORD everyday
I need You more
on wings of Heaven I will soar
with You...

Jesus it is You

- Words from the song [i]It is You[/i] by Darlene Zschech

2007/1/17 21:02Profile