Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Beth-lehem

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Beth-lehem

[b][color=000000] And he commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes, and looking up to heaven, he blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000]But he answered and said,[/color][/b][b][color=660033] It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God[/color][/b]

Brothers and sisters, sometimes I just long to talk with others about the word of God. I want the word of God to dwell in my heart richly and to share it with others. Well, if that fits you at all, then maybe we can meet together here, at [i]Beth-lehem[/i], the [i]House of Bread[/i], and sit together for a while and talk about the word of God.

I suppose I should go a little further in what I mean by [i]talk about the word of God[/i].

I do not mean to encourage us to talk about [u]doctrines[/u]. It has been my experience that a handfull of doctrines are discussed amongst believers over and over again. I don't intend to do that.

My brothers and sisters, there are thousands upon thousands of rich, beautifull words, the very words of God, that we can share together, that we can feast our souls upon, that we can dig deep into and draw out life and meaning. I want to do that. Do you?

I'll go just a bit further about the intent here. I love to be blessed by the word of God, by seeing something which I had not seen before, or by dwelling upon and taking in some truth which it contains. But more than that I would love to share these blessings with others, with each other even and encourage our hearts in faith, and the worship of God. I hope that others will join me.

If anyone has a word or verse to begin with please do not be shy. And let us remember the words of our Lord Jesus

[b][color=660033]...the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.[/color][/b]

2007/1/3 19:47Profile

Re: Beth-lehem

Brother Chris, your hunger for the Word is God has encouraged my heart. You are so right about the richness of the Word of God. What other book can you read over and over and over and still glean encouragement and learn new things! What Book has such life to it!

Here is the verse that the Lord gave me a couple days ago to meditate on:
"Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the [b]word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified[/b], even as it is with you." 2 Thess. 3:1
What spoke to me about this passage was 'is the Word of God having [b]free[/b] course in my life? Am I obeying what I read? Or just skipping the passages I don't care for? Is God's Word having it's way in my heart and life?'
On Sunday our family school was on James 1:22-25 on being a doer of the Word and not just a hearer. The teacher likened God's Word to a mirror. He gave an analogy of us looking in the mirror and seeing mud on our face (he actually portrayed this for us with a real mirror, mud, and a cloth) but if we don't take care of that mud we may forget about it when we leave the mirror. Others may see the mud but we've forgotten about it. Thus, when we read God's Word it is as a mirror and it will show us the spots and we must apply God's Word to those spots to cleanse of them. As we keep going back to the mirror of God's Word we will see more spots and they will be cleansed as we apply the Word to our lives. We must be a doer of the Word and not just a hearer.
It was a rich word picture that blessed me and really tied into the verse that I had just read about God's Word having free course in my life.

Brother Chris, what has God been showing you from His Word? I would be blessed to hear it...

2007/1/3 22:11
Goldminer

Alabama

Dear ChrisJD that sounds wonderful. I thought I might start at the beginning. The first revelation God gave me about His word 30 years ago.

Gen 13:9 [Is] not the whole land before thee? separate thyself, I pray thee, from me: if [thou
wilt take] the left hand, then I will go to the right; or if [thou depart] to the right hand, then I will go to the left.

Gen 13:10 And Lot lifted up his eyes, and beheld all the plain of Jordan, that it [was] well watered every where, before the LORD destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah, [even] as the garden of the LORD, like the land of Egypt, as thou comest unto Zoar.

Gen 13:11 Then Lot chose him all the plain of Jordan; and Lot journeyed east: and they separated themselves the one from the other.

Gen 13:12 Abram dwelled in the land of Canaan, and Lot dwelled in the cities of the plain, and pitched [his] tent toward Sodom.

Gen 13:13 But the men of Sodom [were] wicked and sinners before the LORD exceedingly.

Gen 13:14 ¶ And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward:

Gen 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

Gen 13:16 And I will make thy seed as the dust of the earth: so that if a man can number the dust of the earth, [then] shall thy seed also be numbered.

Gen 13:17 Arise, walk through the land in the length of it and in the breadth of it; for I will give it unto thee.

God showed me that there are two choices that lay in the path presented to us that are represented in Lot and Abram. Lot lifted up his eyes and beheld and chose based on what he saw.

Abram left his choice with God and was told by God to lift up his eyes, as the result everything became his through trusting his choices to God.

This particular revelation has allowed me to walk at peace no matter what direction my road has turned knowing that the steps of a righteous man are ordered of the Lord. I don't have to fear the future or figure it out.

2007/1/3 22:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
I'll go just a bit further about the intent here. I love to be blessed by the word of God, by seeing something which I had not seen before, or by dwelling upon and taking in some truth which it contains. But more than that I would love to share these blessings with others, with each other even and encourage our hearts in faith, and the worship of God. I hope that others will join me.

Oh please do. That this could become our greatest controversy.

2007/1/3 23:22Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Dear Roniya and Goldminer,

I should have went to sleep a while ago...but I think I can see where both these mesh...

Quote:
God showed me that there are two choices that lay in the path presented to us that are represented in Lot and Abram.

and...

Quote:
'is the Word of God having free course in my life? Am I obeying what I read?

Here...

[b][color=000000]O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000]Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.[/color][/b]

Will look forward to the fellowship in His word :-)

Chris

2007/1/3 23:26Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
I do not mean to encourage us to talk about doctrines...

My brothers and sisters, there are thousands upon thousands of rich, beautifull words, the very words of God, that we can share together, that we can feast our souls upon, that we can dig deep into and draw out life and meaning. I want to do that. Do you?

I'll go just a bit further about the intent here. I love to be blessed by the word of God, by seeing something which I had not seen before, or by dwelling upon and taking in some truth which it contains.

Teaching and testimony are not alternatives.

2007/1/4 19:31Profile

Re: obeying God's Word

As I was reading this evening in Jeremiah I was struck with these verses on disobeying God's commandments.

"Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; I made a covenant with your fathers in the day that I brought them forth out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondmen, saying,
14 At the end of seven years [b]let ye go[/b] every man his brother an Hebrew, which hath been sold unto thee; and when he hath served thee six years, thou shalt let him go free from thee: [b]but your fathers hearkened not unto me, neither inclined their ear.[/b]
15 [b]And ye were now turned, and had done right in my sight, in proclaiming liberty every man to his neighbour; and ye had made a covenant before me in the house which is called by my name:
16 But ye turned and polluted my name,[/b] and caused every man his servant, and every man his handmaid, whom ye had set at liberty at their pleasure, to return, and brought them into subjection, to be unto you for servants and for handmaids." Jeremiah 34:13-16

The context of the passage is that God gave a commandment concerning Hebrew bondslaves. During the time of Jeremiah a proclamation was made to keep this commandment (vs. 8-11) which the people did, but they turned and forced their servants back into captivity.
But what struck me about this whole passage was how their disobedience to God's commands [b]polluted His Name[/b].
Pollute means to 'profane, defile, make common, to desecrate that which is holy.'
What a holy obligation we have to God's awesome Name to obey Him and His Word.

Marveling over our great responsibility of obedience...

2007/1/4 23:25
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: obeying God's Word

Goodmorning all.

Only have a few minutes but wanted to draw together two things sister Roniya mentioned

Quote:
But what struck me about this whole passage was how their disobedience to God's commands polluted His Name.

Quote:
Here is the verse that the Lord gave me a couple days ago to meditate on: "Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, [b]and be glorified[/b], even as it is with you." 2 Thess. 3:1

The Apostle Paul said ... [i]we have received [u]grace and apostleship[/u], for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name[/i]

Noticing the contrast between being [i]polluted[/i] and [b]glorified[/b].

2007/1/5 4:20Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: from shepherd to King from King to Shepherd

Here's something that I noticed some years ago which really stood out to me. It is one of the similiarities in scripture between the life of King David, and that of the Messiah, the Son of David, the King of Kings.

In 1 Samuel, at the beginning of the 22nd chapter we read

[b][color=000000] David therefore departed thence, and escaped to the cave Adullam: and when his brethren and all his father's house heard it, they went down thither to him.[/color][/b]

[b][color=000000] And every one that was in distress, and every one that was in debt, and every one that was discontented, gathered themselves unto him; and he became a captain over them: and there were with him about four hundred men.[/color][/b]

I think, doesn't that sound alot like us who have followed after the Lord Jesus? we who have been in distress over the troubles of life, we who have been in debt of wealth and in debt to God, and we who have found no lasting satisfaction in the the things of this world. All we have been gathered unto the chief Shepherd.

Our Lord Jesus said,

[b][color=660033] Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.[/color][/b]

2007/1/5 4:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Alternatives

Quote:
Teaching and testimony are not alternatives.

Hi Ron, left pondering that last night. Could you elaborate a bit? Certainly agree and if I am guessing correctly Chris may have been alluding in a general sense to some things that have been up in recent days by way of [i]doctrine[/i].

At least that would be my particular ... issue of late. That is to say also that I am finding quite a troubling aspect amongst some saints that is related; Theology.

In a nut shell, [i]Thy Theology Killeth[/i] is something I am trying to give an expression to, the lines of distinction and the proverbial problem always, a [i]biblical definition[/i] lacking. Many things, but the crux is one of bitterness underneath, strife and contention, incredible opposites, out takes, presumptions, insinuations, division ... pride.

This is really out of place here, I apologize. Perhaps this effort of Chris was meant to just be an alternative too just so much ... wrangling.

2007/1/5 7:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy