SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Paul struggle with sin??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

What do we do with this?

Galatians 5:16-26 (New American Standard Bible)

[color=FF0033]16But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh.[/color]

17For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please.

18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law.

19Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,

20idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,

21envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

[color=990000]24Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.[/color]

25If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

God Bless

TJ

2007/1/3 21:05Profile

Re:

Romans 8:1 says, "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, [i]who walk not after the flesh[/i], but after the Spirit." There is no condemnation only for those who walk after the Person of the Holy Spirit. Paul was tempted like any other man, even as Christ Himself was tempted in every way (Lk. 4:1-2), yet he brought the members of his body into subjection to Christ: "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified" (1 Cor. 9:27). This only becomes possible in the power of Christ through the Holy Spirit: "if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body," writes Paul, "you will live" (Romans 8:13b). Every believer, just like Paul, must crucify their flesh: "And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires." (Galatians 5:24)

Whoever thinks he stands, let him take heed lest he fall.

In Christ,
Slavyan

2007/1/3 21:15

Re: We have become the servants of righteousness

[

Quote:
Paul is not saying that he is an unwillful servant of sin. For that would contradict what Jesus said about servant hood (John 8:34), and what Paul elsewhere said about servant hood (Romans 6:16) that what you willfully obey is what you are serving. That servant hood is always preceded by willful obedience.

In John 8:34 Jesus was talking to Jews who were appealing to their natural relation to Abraham (they were Jews by birth). They said to Jesus that they were free, simply because they were physically related to Abraham. And Jesus told them the same thing Paul argues in Romans chapter 2 and 3. (Actually in the much of Romans) That ALL are under sin. These were unregenerate men that Jesus was talking to; not believers. (Go back and read John 8) They were trusting in their flesh and not the Promise, and that’s' why Jesus told them that if they were actually Abraham's seed they would do the works of Abraham. Abraham believed the Promise. (See Galatians...See Genesis)

To understand Romans 6:16, you actually have to keep reading until you hit vs. 17 and 18. Those verses tell us when believers actually become the servants of righteousness.

17But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

18Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

We were MADE free from sin, and we BECAME the servants of righteousness when we OBEYED THE GOSPEL. When we trusted in the FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST we were MADE free from sin and BECAME the servants of righteousness. That's why Jesus said back in John 8 (to the same Jews who were trusting in their flesh)...You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall MAKE YOU FREE!

So now we can see why Paul goes right into the struggle with sin. Because if you are like me, a serious question arises:

"Well, if I am a servant of Righteousness, and I am free from sin, then why do I have such a struggle with sin?"

It is our natural inclination, especially as believers, to look to the law of God, or the commands of God, and measure ourselves by them.
We say, “Now that I am a Christian I am going to Love God with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and I am going to love everyone I come in contact with, as I love myself."

We go to the Sermon on the Mount and we say,

" I am not going to lust after any women"
" I am not going to hate anyone"
" I am not going to think about the worries of tomorrow"
" I am going to be salt and light today"
" etc."

The only problem with that is, that Paul admonishes us to not serve God in the "oldness of the letter", but in the "newness of the Spirit".

To simply look at the commands of God and determine to obey them is serving in oldness of the letter.

The only thing that activity can produce is the struggle that Paul deals with in Romans 7.

In the end we will fall under condemnation and we will actually sin more. Paul said the law actually wrought in him the desire to sin. Not because the law was bad, but because, in his flesh their dwells no good thing!"

The only thing the law can do for us is CONDEMN US! We will find no ability within the law to obey God! None! Try it! You might go crazy! I almost did!

But God be praised...He has freed me from the law of sin and death, by…

THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS

I have died to Moses' law, which gave life and power to the law of sin and death in me.

I have been married to another. Jesus Christ!

He is now my standard. He is now the law that governs me.

He did not come to me to condemn me, but that through Him I might be saved; saved from wrath and saved from my sin. He came so that the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in me.

How?

What is this new law? THE LAW OF THE SPIRIT OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS?

It can be defined by Psalm 27:1 - The Lord is my Light and my Salvation whom shall I fear?

He is now my Light – HE now reveals to me the sin in my life. As I behold him in His Word I see HIS complete "otherness". Like Peter, I fall at His feet and confess that I am a sinful man.

But unlike Moses’ law, which can only condemn...

He has also become my Salvation - He sets me free from my sin and promises me that I will be conformed in to His image. Like Mary, He tells me that Christ will be formed in me! Not by any thing that I can do, but the Holy Spirit will come upon me, and the Power of the Most High will over shadow me, and the Holy Son of God will be formed in me. It His Promise and HE CANNOT LIE!

There is therefore now, no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (May I paraphrase)...who do not try to walk with God according to the oldness of the letter, but the newness of the Spirit.

THE SPIRIT OF LIFE IN CHRIST JESUS!

2007/1/3 23:51
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Praise God Mahoney,

Christ truly is or righteousness and wisdom, our life and our justification, our all in all, our sanctification and our redemption. There is no substitute for Him. The Law in its death blow to those that try to keep it is a lagging substitute for Him. More of Him is our cry, less of me.

In Christ Jesus we live: Phillip

2007/1/8 2:16Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Mahoney wrote:

Quote:
The only thing that activity can produce is the struggle that Paul deals with in Romans 7.

In the end we will fall under condemnation and we will actually sin more. Paul said the law actually wrought in him the desire to sin. Not because the law was bad, but because, in his flesh their dwells no good thing!"

Romans 7:

14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.

We are given a conscience of what God's law requires, yet in our flesh, according to our carnal mind, we do not know "how to perform what is good..."

Only by the law of the Spirit do we find "how to perform what is good..."

2Sam. 22:47 “The LORD lives!
Blessed be my Rock!
Let God be exalted,
The Rock of my salvation!

God Bless you and your 'simple message"

In Christ
Jeff

2007/1/8 3:13Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

God Bless you too Brother Phillip with your simple message...

Jeff

2007/1/8 3:16Profile
GaryE

Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

Re: Did Paul struggle with sin??

That there is sin in our lives is one thing but it is totally unbiblical to make covenant with sin. We are told to fight the good fight. We are in a warfare with this against the enemy and it is God's will for us to overcome {overcome was said to all 7 churches of Revelation 2+3}. We are equipt to do battle {Ephesians chapter 6}. If we don't utterly defeat the enemies {sins} of our lives we can expect that our very children won't know the Lord.

Judges chapter 1 to 2:10

Judges 2:10 And also all that generation were gathered unto their fathers: and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the LORD, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.

We must examine our hearts like the priest looking into his reflection in the water that was in the brasen laver before washing and confess our sins to God. We must never be satisfied with partiality having one foot in the world and one out. Our offering to God must be unleavened to be a living sacrifice to God and a burnt offering to God consumed by his fire. We must break down altars that aren't appointed by God, break down high places that aren't appointed by God, slay the Agags of our lives, kill the Baal worshipers of our lives {sins} to be vessels of honor and fit for God's use.

2Ti 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor, and some to dishonor.

2Ti 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honor, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

To accept the sins of our lives and quit the battle against these sins is to place our lives in a place where we are not meet for the master's use and out of God's use for the great commission.

2007/1/8 6:39Profile
searchin

u.s.a. /

Re:

Paul was no different then the rest of us. Just as James said about Elijah, he was a man of like passions, just like everyone else.

I think Paul made it clear in Galatians Chapter 5 and Romans Chapter 8 that the struggle for us all is not realy a struggle with sin but a struggle between the flesh and the spirit.

We all struggle with sin when we reduce ourselves to walking in the flesh and not the Spirit.

our victory comes from what we do in the prayer closet...and when we continue in the Word of God.

Then when faced with temptaion and sin we are stronger and can overcome.

Just as a soldier wins the battle in boot camp by training for the war before he gets on the battlefield....we prepare ourselves for victory in the secret closet of prayer and living a life of obedience to God and his Word!

If you walk in the spirit you will not fullfill the lust of the flesh.
Paul surely must have known this not only by revelation but by experience as well.

God Bless

2007/1/8 13:53Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Gary wrote:

Quote:
That there is sin in our lives is one thing but it is totally unbiblical to make covenant with sin. We are told to fight the good fight. We are in a warfare with this against the enemy and it is God's will for us to overcome

As we grow in the Lord, we also enter into the battle that He battles. The warfare is not only against the ways of the flesh, but also against Satan himself. This type of love can only be learned as we follow the Spirit. Breaking down the high places is an impossible task if done according to the flesh. But by His Spirit we are called to tear down, reveal the lie, and then to build. This wisdom comes as we mature in Christ.

John teaches about the babe, young man, and the father. The babe's sins are forgiven for His sake. The young man overcomes Satan because the word of God lives strong in him. The father is the one who has known Him from the beginning. May we all have the same heart and mind, to forget what is behind and to look to the upward call of Christ in our lives.

God Bless

Jeff

2007/1/11 4:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy