SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Charismatic Lingo!..

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Charismatic Lingo!..

I thought this might be helpful to some people.. these types of phrases are being used in alot of circles.. please discuss anyone one of them and what you think about it:

NOTE: I don't agree with how this person terms all of these things but its helpful enough. And will make some intresting conversation on some of these 'lingo' definitions.

[b]EDIT: I really didn't carefully read through all the definitions and at second glance most of them are frivilous and not very edifying at all. I question the Spirit that this man is defining these terms.[/b] I am removing many of them and editing others that I still that are suitable. I apologize for not carefully checking this out, I usually read-through my posts with much care. If you want to still see the entire definition list I have left the website url at the bottom.

--------------
The Anointing: The anointing is a special endowment of power given by the Holy Spirit to His servants to do supernatural things. The anointing can be increased by prayer and fasting. It can be decreased due to sin in the person's life. The anointing can be transmitted via the laying on of hands.

(this excerpt is sadly true in some circles, the Holy Spirit is thought of as a tangle substance that we can use and mold to our desire: The anointing is tangible, it can be felt, it can knock you down to the ground. It has been described as fire, electricity, power, heat, and warmth.)

Ascension Gifts: These refer to the restored gift-ministries of Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, Teacher, and Evangelist. Today Charismatics universally agree that there are Apostles & Prophets who have the same ministry and anointing (see anointing) as their Biblical counterparts. These two in particular are responsible to set government in local churches.

Armor Bearer: This is a new office in Prophetic/Apostolic ministries. As far as my knowedlge goes this is a person who serves the needs of the pastor directly and protects him physically and spiritually.

Carpet Time: A new term coming from Toronto Airport Church. Refers to people who get slain in the spirit (see slain in the spirit) and spend a long time on the carpet either laughing, crying, or in a trance like state.

Gate Keeper: One who has been ordained by God to control the spiritual activity in the heavens above their city.

Impartation: Can be good or bad. Gifts, callings, elevations can all be given via the laying on of anointed (see anointing) hands. Evil spirits can be imparted.

Psalmist: A restored office from the Old Testament. Men and women especially anointed (see anointing) to hear directly from God and write praise and worship which has the divine power to propel the hearers into the manifest presence (see manifest presence) of God.

[i]For more terms that at second thought I barely agree with go here: http://www.discernment.org/charismania/lingo.htm [/i]

2004/2/22 20:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Charismatic Lingo!..

My intentions in posting this is not to offend Christians even people that go by the lable of Charismatic. I just myself at times have felt out of the loop with the terms that are thrown around quite easily in some circles. If you have some better definitions and can help explain to Christians some of these terms it would be readily appreciated. I am not for or against certain denominational or non-denominational movements, I am really praying that God will bring out of all movements a people that are truly seeking him in Word and Spirit. I think this is a great forum thread to discuss this ideal also: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1589&forum=42]Swinging Pendulum[/url]

2004/3/22 15:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Charismatic Lingo!..

Quite interesting, though I have one suggested modification:

Armor Bearer: (See Youth Pastor or Intern) :-)

(of course, this is a joke) *disclaimer*

2004/3/22 21:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Quite interesting, though I have one suggested modification:
Armor Bearer: (See Youth Pastor or Intern)
(of course, this is a joke) *disclaimer*

I am sorry to mislead you, I had an email bringing this post to my attention. I must have posted this without looking because much of it was written in a wrong spirit. It was a list of terms from a website that was basically making fun of charismatics, which is far from what I would ever want to do. This is not a funny matter and I repent for doing this. It's awful that we as Children of God would jeer and mock other Children of God. Christianity is serious business, life and death, God forbid we become so comfortable in our Christian culture and games while people are in dire need of the truth in the Word of God that their is salvation in Christ and that He is worth giving everything that you HAVE! We need to live this example so people can see it!

I would still like to get some terms categorized so that people that arent familar with charimatic terms can be aquainted. But let it be done in the right Spirit.

2004/3/22 21:54Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

[size=small]The Struggle For Authority[/size]

[size=x-small]The Anointing of God[/size]

God in His sovereignty selects individuals to "anoint" (GK. chrio) for His "good service" (GK. chraomai). He does not look to find an individual who is holy, harmless, and undifiled (for there are none), but rather selects and Himself [i]works in them to will and to do His good pleasure.[/i] (Philippians 2:13). Jesus declared in Luke 4:18 that the Spirit of the Lord was upon Him because He had anointed Him to preach the Gospel to the poor, etc. (Luke 4:18; Isaiah 61:1). Acts 10:38 sheds much light upon the subject saying literally... [i]Jesus, the one from Nazareth, how God anointed him with the Holy Spirit and with power, who went through doing good, and healing all those who had been oppressed of the Devil, because God was with Him.[/i] The word [i]chrio[/i] or "anointed" carries with it the meaning "to touch." This deals with the biblical concept and metaphor of "the finger of God." Jesus said in Luke 20 that if He by the "finger of God" do cast out devils, how do your children cast them out? (paraphrased). The "finger of God" is symbolic of God's sovereign authority. In the Church history section "The Jewish Roots of the Christian Faith" I am currently dealing with this age old struggle for authority between God and His "ministers." Those who will not submit to His authority end up deceiving the people. The Pharisee's for example, "cut off" the finger of God in terms of their teachings of the Word of God and built a theological wall of traditions to contain both God's word AND His sovereign authority (see Bath Kol). The "Oral Law" became a codified version of the traditions that Jesus said made the Law of NONE EFFECT. In other words, it was stripped of its authority.

So when we talk about the anointing we are talking about the sovereign authority of God and His means of doing His will in the earth apart from theophanies and special sovereign miracles that we would know nothing about. His desire is to function through the body of Christ- as Christ is the head (in authority). The authority of God is sovereignly placed upon His selected ambassadors to carry out His good pleasure (Ephesians 6:20; II Corinthians 5:20). Paul prayed (or asked for prayer) that BOLDNESS would be given to him that he might open his mouth boldly to preach the Gospel. Why? Because without that boldness (GK. parrhesia) or frank, bluntness, the authority of God's word is not rightly communicated. This is what we seen with the Scribes and Pharisees who read and taught from the same Law and prophets that Jesus did; but they did not preach with God's AUTHORITY (as did Jesus Mark 1:22). They ministered from God's word THEIR message and in THEIR authority. Not as though God "anoints" people to be Lone-Rangers and showboaters, etc.; but rather, as Christ's ambassadors they are anointed to carry the message of the sovereign God- in His stead. This is the authority of God to do GOOD and in turn give God the glory. It is not our authority- it is Christ's authority that has been delagated to us FOR HIS PURPOSE. As it is written... without me ye can do nothing. Many have a great ZEAL for God's sovereignty, but they down play His authority in real and meaningful and practical ways. A minister, for example, who is working for a sovereign God, to be consistent, must speak with God's authority- God's message. One cannot pretend to bring God's message when they have not earnestly sought the Lord for what He would say or do. Brainstorming for a "topical" message is not the same as seeking the direction of God to say what He wants said. By analogy it would be like memorizing the Constitution and laws of the United States of America and then thinking you can go out and speak the policy of the Nation- to other nations without counseling with the President or his cabinet. You may know the word of God and that is the foundational REQUIREMENT, but have you submitted yourself to His authority in prayer and devotion in oprder to ensure that the word you bring is what God would say, for this hour, and in this circumstance? Understanding that submission to God's sovereign authority, is the key to understanding the anointing. It is not something that can be thrown like a baseball etc., and it is not for making a show; it is for what happened when Jesus spoke and went about doing all manor of good and the people magnified God. If we do the same and humble ourselves before the Lord- God will be glorified and not the ambassador.

God Bless,

-Robert

2004/3/23 8:11Profile
LoveOneAnother

Re:

It looked like most of those words are used by the Word of Faith movement and Laughing revivals.

A few definitions (based on the website listed):

Unction: from 1 John 2:20, KJV, and it does mean anointing, according to Strong's Concordance.

Word of Wisdom/Word of Knowledge: two of the gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12.

Cemetary: I've heard Baptists call seminaries, cemetaries. I've actually never heard a charismatic use it this way!

Slain in the Spirit: I know Pentecostal pastors who agree that this practice lacks Biblical support. I am inclined to agree. ;-)

Religious Spirit: the site said this is anyone who is not charismatic. I know of WOF people who say traditional Pentecostals/charismatics have a religious spirit, so it's more likely to be anyone who's not Word of Faith!

Ascension Gifts: a large number of charismatics and Pentecostals, including the Assemblies of God denomination, do not believe in apostles and prophets for today (believing instead that today, an apostle is a church-planter (Baptists agree with this), and that a prophet is someone exercising the gift of prophesy).

That's enough for now. :-D

2004/5/16 0:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Ascension Gifts: a large number of charismatics and Pentecostals, including the Assemblies of God denomination, do not believe in apostles and prophets for today (believing instead that today, an apostle is a church-planter (Baptists agree with this), and that a prophet is someone exercising the gift of prophesy).

Interesting I would love for you to clarify the difference between a role of the prophet and the gift of prophesying perhaps you can share your opinion in this thread in which this topic has just came up in: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1943&forum=35&17]DOES GOD USE PROPHETS TODAY?[/url]

Quote:
Religious Spirit: the site said this is anyone who is not charismatic. I know of WOF people who say traditional Pentecostals/charismatics have a religious spirit, so it's more likely to be anyone who's not Word of Faith!

The way alot of ministers use this term is quite cultish and seperationist. It's amazing how I have heard this used and how much division it causes. Even causing spirit-filled believers to feel like they are lacking some next blessing that God wants to give. It's as I heard Keith Daniel say that Andrew Murray taught that when you recieve the Holy Spirit you recieve all of Him. There is a continual need to be filled with the spirit but could that mean getting rid of the things in your heart that are crowding out the Spriits full breadth in your heart and control of your life?

2004/5/16 1:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy